Cheap Gaming PC. Help Please.

JackMcHale

"and what are you looking for price wise now, cuz there are several issues with that build for what you wanted"

which build?

and whats wrong with it for playing modern warfare? crysis? wow?

jonnyp11

well look at that, learn something new every day, but this is the weakend so FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU :p

JackMcHale

this is actually giving me a headache now lol... will a 650watt corsair PSU work with the graphics card i have chosen?

and is the 6870 seriously THAT MUCH better than the 6850??

and will the motherboard i have on there the 925 run 2 6850's if i decide to get a second one?

wolfeking

banned
it will run it but only at 8/4 which limits performance badly. 990FX will run either at 16/16 or 16/8 depending on the board.

6970 is a better card, yes. And quite frankly, the 955 is worth the upgrade even if you are not looking to OC.

JackMcHale

"it will run it but only at 8/4 which limits performance badly. 990FX will run either at 16/16 or 16/8 depending on the board."

----clueless

wolfeking

banned
that rating (8/4, 16/16, 16/8) is the number of PCI express lanes that the Graphics card is able to use. Most cards will need at least 8 to preform well.
think of it like this. the 1s and 0s that become images need to travel, like people in cars, across the motherboard to get to your screen. Just like cars on the interstate, the more lanes you have, the faster people (1s and 0s) get from point a to point b. Basically, you need the highest # of lanes you can get.

jonnyp11

(too avoid confusion you may not want to read this and just stick with wolfe's, and go to the line below all this stuff.)ok, so the pci-e x16 slot is what the gfx card is plugged into. now the x16 is the bandwidth, like it can do 16mb/s (way higher, just an example), x8 would be 8mb/s and same for x4, on motherboards both pci slots run off of 1 chip, so the 970 has access to doing x16 and x4, no higher or lower, while the 990fx can do either x16/x16 or x16/x8, ther are other options and models but we're just going with these 2 cuz it's giuving me a headache too, and you want it to either be x16 or x8 because the graphics card itself is really running on something closer to x9, so x8 is almost full speed, and x16 gives it full speed ahead.

his appeared after i posted, and his is much simpler.

JackMcHale

1.1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIEX16) (Note 3)
2.1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x4 (PCIEX4)
3.3 x PCI Express x1 slots
(All PCI Express slots conform to the PCI Express 2.0 standard.)
4.2 x PCI slots

Thats what the motherboard has and that is what you are talking about correct?

so the x16 x16 (number 1) is Great. that will run my 6850 or 6870 no problem.

but if i get a second video card it will only run at x4. which is bad.

therefore the MSI 890GXM-G65
would be a better one aswell?

PCI_E1 slot with x16 operation (PCI Express Bus SPEC V2.0 compliant)
• PCI_E2 slot with x8 operation (PCI Express Bus SPEC V2.0 compliant)
- When 2 PCI Express x16 slots are all installed, the PCIE x 16 lanes will auto arrange form x16/ x0 to x8/ x8. Do not use PCI_E2 slot when only one PCI Express x16 card is installed.
• 1 PCI Express x1 slot
• 1 PCI slot, support 3.3V/ 5V PCI bus Interface.

Last edited:

JackMcHale

ok good i fully understand on the mainboards now..
what about processors?
dual core or quad core?
ill be doing pretty much no multitasking.. only one monitor. running one game at a time.. i rarely do anything else on my computers.

jonnyp11

below 150, these are the best am3+ boards and all of them are good for 2 or more gfx cards

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157262

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128510

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131754

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128514

and for the games you want they will most likely be threade for 4 cores, means they can use them all where some games are only threaded to use 2 cores. so a quad core will be beneficiall, and while running 2 gfx cards it will be running special drivers so the added power will also benefit you there too. and the 955 will be better thanks to its extra ghz, and currently it is 15 off so might want to grab it wuick, idk when that sale ends.

Last edited:

JackMcHale

"quad cores for most, if not all new games."
ok so definately quad core. doing another build now real quick. doing in through ibuypower.com because its easily laid out for me to look through.. i may end up buying the parts seperately. unless the price surprises me. will post in 5 mins.

JackMcHale

AMD Radeon HD 6790 - 1GB - HIS IceQ X Turbo - Core: 900MHz

what do you guys rate this? the highest end 6700 series there is? or if i got the 6850 would it still be better?

wolfeking

banned
for what you are doing, look at 6870, 6950, 6970, r GTX560ti or GTX570. A single 570 will max anything out there today.

JackMcHale

what about the 2gb version NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 - 2GB

and are these meter displays seriously important for a mid level build like im looking at?

AeroCool Touch1000 Touch Screen Fan Controller & Temperature Display [+$49]
AeroCool V12XT Touch Screen Fan, Temperature Control & HDD Working Display Large Screen[+$59]
NZXT Sentry Mesh Fan Controller w/ Five 30W Channels [+$24]
NZXT Sentry 2 Touch Screen Fan Controller & Temperature Display [+$29]
NZXT Sentry LX Aluminum Fan Control, Clock, and Temperature Display Large Screen

surely i can see all of this information in the computer anyways if i look for it?

Last edited:

jonnyp11

there's a reason why it goes from the 67 to 6800 series, although the 900mhz is faster, the 6790 only has 800 cores to the 6850's 960. like in processors, more cores do more at once while faster ones do it faster, but in gpus you want more over faster almost every time because think of all those little lines and all there are in the maps, then all the textures and stuff ontop of them, more cores is better than faster ones.

dang i need to type faster or ya'll do slower.