Cheap Gaming PC. Help Please.

jonnyp11

the gb's is for the resolution, since higher res means more information, it takes more memory, but the only time you need 2gb's is for 192x1200 and around that or more.

JackMcHale

lol i took typing classes so i type with all fingers and dont have to look once lol.. sorry im typing so fast. i made that build by the way. is the GPU compatible with the mainboard i selected?

Case
CoolerMaster HAF 922 Gaming Case

Processor
[= Quad Core =] AMD Phenom™ II X4 925 Quad-Core CPU Processor Cooling

Liquid CPU Cooling System
[AMD] - [Free Upgrade] Standard 120mm Fan

Memory
4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair

Video Card
AMD Radeon HD 6870 - 1GB - - -will dual when A) have the money and B) When i need to.

Motherboard
[CrossFire] MSI 890GXM-G65 -- AMD 890GX w/ 2x PCI-E 2.0 x16

Power Supply
850 Watt -- Thermaltake TR2 W0319RU - - - Free upgrade from the 750. little more is safe right?

Primary Hard Drive
500 GB HARD DRIVE -- 16M Cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0Gb/s - Single Drive

Optical Drive
24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black

Operating System
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010 - 64-Bit

BTW this build is currently $901 on www.ibuypower.com if anyone is curious or interested.

Last edited:

wolfeking

banned
looks good, but you will need a 990FX board if you still wish to do dual cards. 990Fx is the first AMD chipset in god knows how long to support SLI (CF for nvidia).

JackMcHale

what about the ASUS M4N98TD EVO
CHIPSET:
NVIDIA nForce 980a SLI

2 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (dual x16)
2 x PCIe x1
2 x PCI

That can run 2 cards both at x16?

also this is better for the GTX560 as it is the 'Correct?' chipset?

Regarding wolfekings post below. the asus mainboard i posted ^^ would run 2 GTX560's great. right?

Last edited:

jonnyp11

what are you talking about, the 560 is barely more powerful than the 6870, and the 2gb's means it can handle a higher res, but really the 560 doesn't have all the power for those higher reses, they will both max out the same resses, but the 560 will go further at 1920x1200.

also can you decide if you're building or selecting/buying, cuz the building will offer a lot more choices and better parts and value, the customizing stuff we can prob go to the site and pick out the right parts to use for the money.

Last edited:

JackMcHale

"what are you talking about"
wolfeking or me?

And

"the 560 is barely more powerful than the 6870, and the 2gb's means it can handle a higher res, but really the 560 doesn't have all the power for those higher reses, they will both max out the same resses, but the 560 will go further at 1920x1200"

560 is the better option then? especially for an eventual dual-sli with the new mainboard i picked out?

BTW im on a 22inch monitor if that matters to you both.

Last edited:

jonnyp11

i was talking about the part where you said "changing to the 560 2gb i dont think im going to sli for a LONNG time. thats a seriously new card lol." it's not really a new card and it won't last you much longer than the 6870, and i don't remeber but i want to say that amd makes better crossfire drivers then nvidia does sli, meaning with 2 the 6870 would perform better.

JackMcHale

so im changing the board back to MSI 890GXM-G65 -- AMD 890GX w/ 2x PCI-E 2.0 x16

and the GPU back to AMD Radeon HD 6870 - 1GB

JackMcHale

lol yeah im not buying a 580. im trying to keep this under 1000 on a custom pc website. if i can keep it under a grand on ibuypower.com
then i can keep it under a grand if i build it myself. thats my theory lol.

jonnyp11

can you say which you will do deffinitely, build or customize, so we can pick out parts or look through the sites options and pick them.

JackMcHale

Ok as of RIGHT NOW.

I am customizing through

www.iBuyPower.com

Lets do it that way because i am seriously NOT wanting to build it myself lol

By the way on page 7 i have been updating constantly on the pc build.. take a look and see what you think, please.

jonnyp11

ha, just noticed (knew me and he did) wll three of us are on the same time zone, was going to point out that here it is after 13:30, but it is for you too.

JackMcHale

and yeah good point about the time zone.. ill be on here all night studying this lol.. ordering on monday. aint got long.