College Laptop Time!

skidude

Alright, I'm really excited because I'm going to order my laptop for college in a few weeks. I've decided to go with Falcon Northwest to build it, they offer the best parts and their laptops look sick. This is what I'm going to get, I've been saving for a long, long time for this, it's gonna be a beast.

17" LCD - 1920x1200
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.13GHz
4GB 800MHz - (2x2048MB)
2 x GeForce 8800M GTX 512MB
2x 80GB 7200RPM - SATA (in a RAID 0)
8x DL DVD+-RW
Windows Vista Home Premium - 32 Bit

Total price is going to be $4,591.... a lot, I know, but it will be worth it. :D:D

Congrats! Falcon NW is a great, top notch computer company. Better than alienware! You can't get desktop processors in an alienware!

skidude

Good, I really, really wanted to drop this kind of money on a company that knows what the hell they're doing.

So this is it? Did u get the blue?

2539946168_a7271fb938.jpg

Get the blue!! It will look so much better in my opinion.

And I doubt you will get it within the month. Companies like Falcon, Alienware, and Voodoo rarely finish that early. Most alienware laptops are delayed a couple weeks after estimated completion dates.

shenry

Two HDD's in RAID in a LAPTOP! :eek: I haven't seen that before. Whatever you do don't lose it or drop it!

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I think I know what I'm getting next year! :D

They certainly burn a hole in your wallet!
Good thing my parents will be buying it! :D

skidude

I will be keeping both eyes on this thing at all times. I didn't know they could do a RAID in notebooks either, not to mention do a RAID in a notebook with 2 8800 GTX's... must either be a massive laptop or a really cramped space. I can't wait :)

Alienware, Dell, Falcon all use dual 8800 gtx's. At a price.
Alienware m17x with 2 hard drives and a swap hdd adds up to 1.5 terabytes.

skidude

Alright changing my mind at the last minute here, going with an Alienware M17X because I can get more for roughly the same price. It's gonna have the Intel Core 2 Extreme X9000 and still the 2 8800M GTX's. Judging from resellerratings.com Alienware seems fairly good considering they are owned by Dell.

Geoff

VIP Member
You need a much larger hard drive(s), you can get dual 120-160GB 7200RPM drives, only having 120GB is going to be a killer for media.

skidude

Yeah that's part of the the reason why I changed my mind and went Alienware, I'm getting dual 120's in a RAID 0 now.

concorde

Why would you want a laptop that looked sick? I'd stay away from it and wouldn't come to expect to perform good at all, not even compared to one with a cheap Celeron ???

HUH???

Wait you went to alienware? Congratulations on becoming part of the alienware community! The m15x is amazing!! Make sure you get the lightup keyboard like I did on my m15x. You will not regret choosing alienware.