College Laptop Time!

Dazzeerr

Wow that laptop is gonna be siicck.

Better than most desktops out, be sure to post up your 3dmark06 score :D

skidude

I was hoping to hit 15k, but I'm not sure :p

It'll still be about a month before the system is shipped, so it's gonna be the longest month of my life.

I doubt alienware will ship any m17x that early. I don't think anyone has their m17x yet, atleast not in notebookreview forums. Be prepared to wait. A lot will probably go out of stock during the first month, including graphics cards and premium processors.

skidude

That's true, but as long as I have it by the 28th of August (day before college move-in day), I'm all set.

By the way, how long did it take your M15x to ship?

EDIT- on notebookreview forums one person has their M17x, and others have the 8800M GTX in a M15x so I don't think it will too much of delay, maybe a few weeks or so.

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
I hope you didn't pay what the configuration I just built on Alienware.com is saying the cost is - $4,648.

They charged a whopping $350 to upgrade from 1GB to 4GB of DDR2-667, when you can buy 4GB of DDR2-800 for $73 on Newegg.

I bet his score will be 11k+.
According to benchmarks, laptops with dual 8800M GTX's in SLI get 12,390 in 3DMark06, but he may get a bit higher with his CPU. The x9000 in the Alienware is overclockable right? I think the ones on the XPS are.

Last edited:

Ramodkk

VIP Member
Don't you already have a kick-ass laptop??? So you're gonna have two?? Man where you get all this money! :p

skidude

They charged a whopping $350 to upgrade from 1GB to 4GB of DDR2-667, when you can buy 4GB of DDR2-800 for $73 on Newegg.

Hahaha yeah I noticed that and laughed at what they were charging for that amount of RAM. I bought a 4 gig set off newegg and I'm going to install it once the laptop arrives.

Don't you already have a kick-ass laptop??? So you're gonna have two??

Na I changed my mind from a Falcon Northwest to an Alienware. Just 1 laptop.

Last edited:

luckyedboy66

Alright, I'm really excited because I'm going to order my laptop for college in a few weeks. I've decided to go with Falcon Northwest to build it, they offer the best parts and their laptops look sick. This is what I'm going to get, I've been saving for a long, long time for this, it's gonna be a beast.

17" LCD - 1920x1200
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.13GHz
4GB 800MHz - (2x2048MB)
2 x GeForce 8800M GTX 512MB
2x 80GB 7200RPM - SATA (in a RAID 0)
8x DL DVD+-RW
Windows Vista Home Premium - 32 Bit

Total price is going to be $4,591.... a lot, I know, but it will be worth it. :D:D

hey ski, do you think you could linky? im trying to build a monster for my friend, and this one looks like it pwns alienware.

Geoff

VIP Member
:eek:

For $4,600 that could have bought you a down payment on a brand new car! Is gaming really worth that much to you? lol

Interested

[-0MEGA-];1002450 said:
:eek:

For $4,600 that could have bought you a down payment on a brand new car! Is gaming really worth that much to you? lol

not only a brand new car, but a brand new BMW 3 series! :eek: :D

CPTMuller

Pick up a lock for that thing! Sounds pretty neat, I'm taking my X61 for college so I DON'T game too much like I did senior year lol. If you have the space on your desk I would suggest getting a external keyboard and mouse, then you wont either A. wear off the paint on the hand rests or B. make "grease stains" on them.

Here is some alienware advice

1. Treat the alienware customer service reps nice
2. Treat the laptop with care - don't scratch it
3. Back all data up before sending it for repairs if needed - they wipe all data
4. Get laptopvideo2go drivers for graphics or it will be bad