College Laptop Time!

Jhow

you can get a warranty off squaretrade.com and add adh for cheaper than the manufacturer usually. Also get lojack for laptops.

skidude

Here is some alienware advice

1. Treat the alienware customer service reps nice
2. Treat the laptop with care - don't scratch it
3. Back all data up before sending it for repairs if needed - they wipe all data
4. Get laptopvideo2go drivers for graphics or it will be bad

Thanks for the advice :), especially the graphics card driver one. It won't just take the ones off nvidia.com??

As for security, I will definitely be buying a lock, and I'll look into lojack as well.

EDIT- Just looked at lojack, it's only $40 for one year of service, and the program is built into the BIOS so it would be nearly impossible to find by someone who didn't really, really know what to look for. I think I'll be buying that.

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
Did you find out if the CPU is overclockable? I know the Dell XPS with the X9000 are, you can get it up to 3.4GHz!

skidude

I haven't asked but I'm fairly sure it will be. The only thing, though, is my concern with it overheating and downclocking. I'm going to buy a nice cooling pad, so any suggestions on one of those would be awesome.

Alienware does NOT let you overclock the 2.8ghz processor as of now. A lot of people on notebookforum were looking forward to that, but the heating problems with the m15x have ruined the overclocking possibilities. And skidude, I don't know if this is correct, but Nvidia only makes drivers to some graphics cards, and mostly just bad ones for laptops. Alienware notebooks come with horrible graphics cards, and everyone, atleast 40 alienware owners on nbr always use laptopvideo2go.

Here is a good 17" notebook cooler. (The guy that gave a 3/5 says his 17" didn't fit, but it was because his notebook was curved, and the m17x is not.)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834982004&Tpk=lian+17%22+notebook+cooler

skidude

Wow thanks Travis, I'll get that cooler and I'll be sure to get the video2go drivers, good tip dude.

skidude

Another question Travis: how do you like your M15x overall? Any comments? I've been reading horror stories on notebookreview and it's making me nervous... but then again its usually only the pissed off people who complain, the people who got a good laptop are too busy enjoying it, but I want opinions from someone who owns one of their laptops.

My m15x. Hmmm.. The screen is bright and vivid, I usually run it at 4/5 brightness. The mousepad turns off with an external mouse, which is nice. The alienhead is easy to turn on. The screen on mine, along with all m15x's is VERY SQUEEKY when you open or close it. It is also wobbly. There is a moderate amount of keyboard flex by the arrows, which is not too bad. When I play cod4, the fans are always on, but that is because I have the 8700 graphics card, and no cooler. I would give my laptop a 4.5/5, because of the minor problems.

People's m15x early had a lot of problems with the 8800 graphics card downclocking. This was fixed with a bios update, installed on all new alienware laptops. People's m15x also had problems with the lefthand side of the notebook "peeling up". My notebook has not had any problems like this. Other than that, I cannot think of a major problem with anyone's m15x.

Also, if the m17x is matte, which I can't remember, you must never scratch it. People's m9750's got damaged over a few months, and the finish peeled a lot.

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
Another question Travis: how do you like your M15x overall? Any comments? I've been reading horror stories on notebookreview and it's making me nervous... but then again its usually only the pissed off people who complain, the people who got a good laptop are too busy enjoying it, but I want opinions from someone who owns one of their laptops.
Thats the way it always works, no one ever goes to the BBB with good comments. People always join forums because something isn't working.

Good luck with the laptop!

Last edited:

skidude

Thanks Geoff, I will definitely post pics and make a review when it gets here. And thanks Travis for the help, I appreciate it.

Geoff

VIP Member
Thanks Geoff, I will definitely post pics and make a review when it gets here. And thanks Travis for the help, I appreciate it.
I can't wait to see it! And who knows, since I go to Salem a few times every month maybe one of these days I can see it in person! :p

Jhow

Sorry I didn't get to post earlier about lojack but you basically hit it on the head. They have over a 90% recovery rate, I got a year subscription waiting in my dresser drawer until I buy a laptop.

Hey skidude, your sig says it has an alienware generic mobo. Here is what my m15x has

2595750049_15799ac92a.jpg

So, I assume the m17x's should be called "Alienware m17x"

Geoff

VIP Member
Hey skidude, your sig says it has an alienware generic mobo. Here is what my m15x has

2595750049_15799ac92a.jpg

So, I assume the m17x's should be called "Alienware m17x"
It's an Intel GM965-based motherboard, the m15x is the model (which makes sense). I would say it's an Alienware m17x GM965.

N3crosis

Maybe you guys should wait for the AMD Puma and the ATi XGP...... if you have heard about it. Don't flame me nVidia fanboys :p

just a noob

if the amd puma is for mobile odds are its going to stink, amd even admist its mobile processors are no match for intels, and the falcon northwest thing is st00pid, i tried putting in 1 dvd drive and it says too many ide ports used, and 1 velociraptor and it says thats too many sata ports used =\

I really can't see someone in need of a laptop for college, wait for ati and amd to take over the laptop market. That will, if ever, take a very long time.