Computer Forum Tech Guides

brian

VIP Member
I wanted to write a guide on Principle of Programming Languages and some basics of Data Structures and algorithms and some features of the most common languages.

What do you think about it??

I like the idea, It would be a tough guide I feel.

kobaj

VIP Member
I wanted to write a guide on Principle of Programming Languages and some basics of Data Structures and algorithms and some features of the most common languages.

What do you think about it??

And make my CS degree worthless?

No seriously, I don't think you can just "touch on the basics" of programming and what you're after. This is several years of knowledge you're trying to pack into a quick guide. Its going to take a /lot/ of time and effort without much result. IE, "If I'm going to read that much, I'll get the book at the library" sort of thing.

I don't mean to sound like a downer, by all means go for it! :D

mihir

VIP Member
And make my CS degree worthless?

No seriously, I don't think you can just "touch on the basics" of programming and what you're after. This is several years of knowledge you're trying to pack into a quick guide. Its going to take a /lot/ of time and effort without much result. IE, "If I'm going to read that much, I'll get the book at the library" sort of thing.

I don't mean to sound like a downer, by all means go for it! :D

The guide will mainly focus on the helping out the member who I have come across in the programming threads,those who are experimenting with programming languages and also would solve the common question which progrmming language should i learn and etc etc.

Troncoso

VIP Member
The guide will mainly focus on the helping out the member who I have come across in the programming threads,those who are experimenting with programming languages and also would solve the common question which programming language should i learn and etc etc.

Did you ever decide to go for this? If it's one thing I'm good at in programming, It's the basic concepts. When I learn a new language (especially using a textbook) I can get through the first 3 or 4 chapters within the hour because for most languages, variables, data types, decision structures, input/output statements, etc. It's all the same. And putting together a basic idea of how programming languages work is a great idea.

Last edited:

mihir

VIP Member
Did you ever decide to go for this? If it's one thing I'm good at in programming, It's the basic concepts. When I learn a new language (especially using a textbook) I can get through the first 3 or 4 chapters within the hour because for most languages, variables, data types, decision structures, input/output statements, etc. It's all the same. And putting together a basic idea of how programming languages work is a great idea.

I am currently writing it.It is going to be huge but my summer classes are keeping me busy but I still write a small portion of it everyday,did not expect summer classes but still I have to attend them.
I am a but confused on some guidelines,like all the programming tools which I used were in Ubuntu and in Terminal,I am a but confused on how to use those features in Windows,because I can't expect everyone who reads the guide to be using Linux or can I???
Like I know you can generate the Assembly language code using GCC from the C code by just saving the temporary files but I don't know how to use that on windows.You can use MINIGW and then use GCC but that is still using Linux tools.
If someone can help me on this it would be great. :D

spynoodle

I'm thinking of making a short guide on how to correctly install Intel Push Pins. I only just figured out how to do them 100% right last time I put a heatsink in. I figured that it would be nice to have a sticky for it, to prevent future slamming of fists on the floor. :)

spynoodle

I know I have a lot of trouble with them. I bet a lot of others will find it helpful.

Yeah, I found that there's a secret to getting them to not pop out - when they're turned left, they automatically release, but when they're turned right, they stay locked. I wish Intel had bothered to illustrate that a bit better. I just recently got a Scythe Shuriken heatsink, and they managed to explain it quite easily. Go figure. :rolleyes:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Turning them left unlocks them so you can remove it from the board. Then to reapply the heatsink to the board you must turn them back to the right before pushing them down to lock. To me, that should be common sense.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Turning them left unlocks them so you can remove it from the board. Then to reapply the heatsink to the board you must turn them back to the right before pushing them down to lock. To me, that should be common sense.

ha yeah def not tech guide material, but thanks. :)

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
So no guide? It would still make a nice sticky IMO. Almost everyone has trouble with the pins.

Just to be clear, you want to create a thread to show users how to install the intel HSF? If yes, Intel already has a guide and I would not stick that thread.

spynoodle

Just to be clear, you want to create a thread to show users how to install the intel HSF? If yes, Intel already has a guide and I would not stick that thread.

Okay, although some forums get a lot of traffic from angry googlers trying to install their heatsink. ;) I guess there are plenty of guides on the internet, though.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, although some forums get a lot of traffic from angry googlers trying to install their heatsink. ;) I guess there are plenty of guides on the internet, though.

Don't get me wrong, feel free to create the thread, I just have a hard time seeing something like that as a sticky or official tech guide. Like many things, that particular HSF just requires a little patience and experience, something that a simple guide can't provide.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I agree, no tech guide is required for this. This "guide" would be a 3 or 4 sentence paragraph at most.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
I agree, no tech guide is required for this. This "guide" would be a 3 or 4 sentence paragraph at most.

In your last post, you wrote it in two sentences. If we use a semicolon, we could reduce it down to one. :p

I really don't mind a thread though. If you feel it may bring traffic to CF, give it a descriptive title that'll attract the search engines, but don't count on a sticky. :)

Last edited: