Constant hate towards AMD

Perkomate

they both have good price/performance, it's just that Intel gets my vote for being a heap faster. My quad is as fast, if not a bit faster than their 8 core.

kdfresh09

yeah but even the phenom II are somewhat faster than the new bulldozers....but i do agree, if you have the budget, run the intel...although i feel that AMD is more than enough if your not running a workstation or if your not in a profession that requires it.....

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Intel is a good performer, but they're over-priced. I run AMD because I'm a college student on a budget. I still get great performance from my X4 965BE.

Okedokey

But the i3 is about the same price? And is faster at stock and the platform can be upgraded through the i5, i7 and ivybridge. That's a massive advantage.

linkin

VIP Member
Why bother going through the i3 and i5 ranges when they can't be effectively overclocked (speaking about the non-k chips) and the chips are still $100+, when you can get a 955BE or 960T for about $120 and overclock/unlock it.

Jiniix

AMD recently admitted defeat in desktop and laptop processors, and announced they are going to focus on phones and other mobile devices. Intel is far stronger in my opinion, and I used to be an all AMD guy.

codename47deni

One thing people forget though is, if you get a 960T or similar, thats almost the end of the line. With the i3, it still performs as well now, plus you can upgrade right through to i7 and ivybridge, so the future upgradability is massively better.

Sure, but by the time I am going to buy a new computer, I'm sure that there will be better processors out there, possibly requiring new motherboards as well.

I agree with what you're saying, it's just that if I wanted a quad core Intel, I would have less money for everything else.

I'm never going to need an i5 or an i7 or that 2600k.

Okedokey

No, maybe not, but you're not an enthusiast obviously. And never say never ;)

BUT, if you are to get a new computer now, and you want a discrete graphics card, there is nothing in AMD that can compete. They can only compete at the moment in the on CPU GPU varieties, and even then, just. Intel makes in a month what AMD makes in a year, why? Better products.

CrazyMike

This has to be the best thread to read when you are waking up drinkIng a coffee. BigFella, I always love reading your comments :) it reminds me of the hockey rival between the Edmonton Oilers and Calgary Flames. Totally amusing!!

PS ... Ian hurry up with that mobile app, this is horrible on the iPhone!

voyagerfan99

Staff member
i used to like AMD until i used an AMD Sempron

Corrected your spelling there.

Anyway, Sempron's aren't bad. They're like the Celeron, but just like the recent generation, they've gotten a lot better than they used to be.

codename47deni

Corrected your spelling there.

Anyway, Sempron's aren't bad. They're like the Celeron, but just like the recent generation, they've gotten a lot better than they used to be.

I know Intel is reliable, but I stay away from Celerons. They just have a bad reputation. Doesn't Intel have its own bad CPUs? Or AMD has more?

jonnyp11

Intel has had many bad cpus, in the past the roles where reversed and AMD pwn'd intel in performance. the newest amd cpus are similar the old pentium 4's with netburst which failed, yet they recovered and are now better, so hopefully amd will do the same and in a year or 2 equal or pass intel in performance

voyagerfan99

Staff member
I know Intel is reliable, but I stay away from Celerons. They just have a bad reputation. Doesn't Intel have its own bad CPUs? Or AMD has more?

My first computer (that was my own) had a 1Ghz Celeron and it was dog slow. However the new ones have hyper threading (some are dual-core) so they're a lot better than they were. These days you can't really find a "crappy" processor. Any processor these days can do basic computing exceptionally well. If you need more intense processing power, that's the only time you can say a processor is "crappy".

Last edited:

linkin

VIP Member
Last edited: