Constant hate towards AMD

Perkomate

the Cellys clock like a mofo though.
I can understand the support for AMD because of the price, but i mean, come on. An 8 core with similar performance to a quad.

OvenMaster

VIP Member
AMD recently admitted defeat in desktop and laptop processors, and announced they are going to focus on phones and other mobile devices.
Link, please.
And if this is true, build-it-yourselfers like most of us here will be in the same boat as enthusiasts were 20 years ago. Intel pretty much had a lock on CPUs and were outrageously expensive. In other words, screwed.
If it weren't for AMD, Intel would not have had to lower their prices and compete for business.

Last edited:

Okedokey

Link, please.
And if this is true, build-it-yourselfers like most of us here will be in the same boat as enthusiasts were 20 years ago. Intel pretty much had a lock on CPUs and were outrageously expensive. In other words, screwed.
If it weren't for AMD, Intel would not have had to lower their prices and compete for business.

Google is your friend. http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9222298/AMD_moves_away_from_Intel_rivalry_rethinks_course

AMD has put themselves in this position with crappy products. Simple capitalism. Ironic isn't it.

tech savvy

"Well, Bulldozer is a loser. Where do they really go from there? Intel's chips are already well out in front, and Ivy Bridge and 22nm will move them further out. I don't see AMD as having any chance at all."

^that.

Edit: What about AMD desktop graphics cards?

Last edited:

Okedokey

I for one would love to see AMD come out with something massive, but alas, its looking liking a distant dream.

jonnyp11

"Well, Bulldozer is a loser. Where do they really go from there? Intel's chips are already well out in front, and Ivy Bridge and 22nm will move them further out. I don't see AMD as having any chance at all."

^that.

Edit: What about AMD desktop graphics cards?

they're not going to quit graphics, that's a lot of money there. as for cpus, their prob going to keep making trinity and fusion cpus, and for ivy bridge, it's not going to pull them a lot further ahead, it's just a more energy efficient sandy and barely has a performance increase, under 5% i think, although the HD4000 or whatever will be a lot better.

jonnyp11

I've been told that AMD processors use alot of technology ahead of it's time.

not really, intel is ahead in performance for a reason, they're better. amd's cpus are all a few years old now other than bulldozer which is really very similar to the concept of intels sandy bridge and other i-series cpus, they just did it a little differently and arguably better, in concept that is. in practice they lose because of the architecture itself, but if intel copied the bulldozer design, i think it would kill, but that's just what i think.

wolfeking

banned
historically I think so jonny. I think, at least on the consumer end, AMD was first to the 64bit game, and I am unsure, but I think they beat intel to the multicore game too. They have been first to a lot, but they need to be refined a lot.

linkin

VIP Member
I'd say they've been thinking too far ahead. People want to see the performance NOW instead of in 2 or 3 years.

Perkomate

i rekon that Intel's 3D transisitors is are pretty cool. That's one up on AMD.
It seems to be, that AMD comes up with the technology first, but then Intel improves on it.

jonnyp11

I still want to see how good it would be or if it would work if intel did a modul like design, since basically bulldozer was a hyper-threaded core plus one or 2 other pices, so if intel did it even just by copying and pasting parts of their current sandy or ivy cores, you'd think it would kick some arse

Okedokey

... it's just a more energy efficient sandy and barely has a performance increase, under 5% i think

Ivy Bridge will generally inherit Sandy Bridge micro-architecture and will sport a rather significant number of improvements. Firstly, it will have certain improvements that will boost its performance in general applications by around 20% compared to Core i "Sandy Bridge" chips (e.g., enhanced AVX acceleration). Secondly, the forthcoming chip will have a new graphics core with DirectX 11 and OpenCL 1.1 support, 30% higher performance compared to the predecessor as well as new video processor and display controllers. Thirdly, Ivy Bridge will feature PCI Express 3.0 x16 interconnection as well as PCIe 2.0 x4 controller. In fourth, the processor will support a number of power management innovations. The CPU is made using 22nm process technology.

Core i 3000-series processors to deliver up to 25% better performance than existing Core i 2000-series "Sandy Bridge" chips in office applications and up to 199% improvements in graphics intensive apps.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/di...y_Bridge_Performance_Numbers_to_Partners.html

Fairly good improvements by the look of it. Even better when i can drop one straight in :)

Last edited: