Could you please recommend a new PSU? +1 question

Discussion in 'Computer Cases, Power Supplies and Cooling' started by Daniel Dukai, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Daniel Dukai

Daniel Dukai Member

Specs are below.

1. I am looking for a 550W - 650W PSU. I am not very familiar with brands, just a few. (Corsair, FSP, Seasonic)

$70 should be enough for one, or around that price. Could you please recommend specific power supplies?

I assume new PSUs have no compatibility issues with older motherboards.

2. A totally unrelated question: one of my front panel USB ports doesn't function. What could be the problem?

Thanks.

2. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Well-Known Member

3. Daniel Dukai

Daniel Dukai Member

No, I wasn't forcing anything into it. It just sort of doesn't identify anything I plug into it. I have the latest drivers installed. Could it be a physical thing?

4. Laquer Head

Laquer Head Well-Known Member

Anything gold, modular or fully-modular, and with a rebate by seasonic or Corsair.... so many options

As for the USB if its not a driver issue, very well could be that the port has died..header has died...wires ripped out..hard to say. Is there another USB header off the motherboard to try??

beers likes this.
  5. beers

beers Moderator Staff Member

Could either try plugging it into another header on the motherboard (the front panel usb connector). If it still doesn't work it's probably isolated to the front panel board.

Laquer Head likes this.
  6. Daniel Dukai

Daniel Dukai Member

I will take a look at the motherboard. I usually don't open the case too often.

7. Laquer Head

So how do you troubleshoot problems? or do you just hope they'll go away like some people seem to?

8. Daniel Dukai

Daniel Dukai Member

Laquer, I don't have enough experience to know how to troubleshoot, but I don't expect a miracle. I just ask other people.

I rarely had any problems with my PC. The onboard soundcard is crap now, I have to use a USB sound device. But I've never really been bothered enough to check out the USB headers, as the only thing I tinker with in my case is plugging in SATA devices or graphics cards.

9. Laquer Head

Hey man no worries..

on your board look along the bottom, on the ASUS P8H61-MX there should be 2 (blue color with 9-pins , 10th pin is missing) headers.. they say something like 'USB xx' printed underneath the header right on the motherboard.. turn off computer---unplug whichever is in now...and plug it into the other one..reboot.. see if that helps? either way it will fix a problem, or eliminate a possible culprit and help narrow things down further..

If you can do hdd/sata plug in and install a gpu you can 100% do that ^^^^^^^

10. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Well-Known Member

What type of motherboard do you have anyway?

11. Daniel Dukai

Daniel Dukai Member

It's in my sig.

12. Laquer Head

Did you even do what I recommended?

13. Daniel Dukai

Daniel Dukai Member

I am still trying to figure out where things are. The thing is... it's so not important right now, I could just postpone it as a weekend project.

14. Laquer Head

You honestly don't have 2 minutes to take off side panel and unplug 1 header?????:eek:

Only 2 headers.. one is occupied..the other isn't// unplug one plug into other.. (see below circled in yellow)

asus_p8h61-mx.jpg

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  15. Daniel Dukai

Daniel Dukai Member

Thanks. I am just lazy.

16. Laquer Head

I gather that. Please refrain from wasting my time or anyone else on this forum. Honestly if your that lazy and ignorant you don't deserve help.

17. Intel_man

Intel_man VIP Member

o_O...
    Uncle Laq is mad.

18. Laquer Head

I'm not mad, just don't get why people think they can remotely burgle my time.

That's right, burgle... as in time burglar! :mad:

19. Daniel Dukai

Daniel Dukai Member

I am sorry, but don't you think that you can find things faster when you have a trained eye?

20. beers

beers Moderator Staff Member

I think it's more of a 'why should he go out of his way to help you if you're too lazy to help yourself' aspect.

Intel_man likes this.