Crap....

The VCR King

Got my new RAM, but my CPU cooler totally covers one of my RAM slots and makes it inaccessable...

Time to swap out my cooler for a smaller one :oops:

spirit

Staff member
Got my new RAM, but my CPU cooler totally covers one of my RAM slots and makes it inaccessable...

Time to swap out my cooler for a smaller one :oops:
Depending on the cooler you may be able to move the fan upwards. Which cooler did you buy?

Failing that you can do what I did with my 2500K and Freezer 13 and mount the cooler a different way round. I mounted my Freezer 13 fan facing down.

The VCR King

Depending on the cooler you may be able to move the fan upwards. Which cooler did you buy?

Failing that you can do what I did with my 2500K and Freezer 13 and mount the cooler a different way round. I mounted my Freezer 13 fan facing down.
Its a V6GT. Can't rotate it. I need a smaller cooler so I can access all 4 RAM slots.

spirit

Staff member
Its a V6GT. Can't rotate it. I need a smaller cooler so I can access all 4 RAM slots.
Hmmm you should always check the fan clearance before you buy a cooler. Having Corsair Vengeance won't help you, that's really tall RAM. :(

The VCR King

Hmmm you should always check the fan clearance before you buy a cooler. Having Corsair Vengeance won't help you, that's really tall RAM. :(
The RAM is too tall for my current cooler. I need a new one for socket AM3 from Amazon under $50. I only have one gift card left.

Darren

Staff member
My RipJaw RAM just barely squeezes under my CM 212. Actually even bends it a bit. The Vengeance is even taller than the RipJaw and I'd guess that the clearance between the 212 and T4 are pretty similar. The T4 probably has even less clearance if I were to guess. What kind is your other RAM, more Vengeance?

spirit

Staff member
I don't know! I just need a cooler that can guarantee fit my ram and it has to be under $50.
Then don't buy it until you know.

Unfortunately very few coolers will fit the high-profile Vengenace, you need to really use something like an H55 or an H60 - that's your only guaranteed option I'm afraid. I would suggest getting something like a Freezer 13 and mounting it fan faced down like I did but I don't know if it would fit even mounted face down because the Vengeance RAM is soooo damn tall.

Why don't you either get an H55 or an H60 or save your money, don't overclock and put it towards a better video card?

Last edited by a moderator:

spirit

Staff member
I don't know if it fits, it might, but seriously by buying a cheap cooler like that you are wasting money if you want to OC. It probably won't be much of an improvement over your stock cooler tbh. I've owned a cheap cooler before, it wasn't great and I ended up spending £50 on a proper one. Your call but at this point if you want a cooler I'd spend your $50 voucher plus an extra 10 bucks on the H60 or not bother.

The VCR King

I don't know if it fits, it might, but seriously by buying a cheap cooler like that you are wasting money if you want to OC. It probably won't be much of an improvement over your stock cooler tbh. I've owned a cheap cooler before, it wasn't great and I ended up spending £50 on a proper one. Your call but at this point if you want a cooler I'd spend your $50 voucher plus an extra 10 bucks on the H60 or not bother.
My parents said they'd help pay off any extra for an H60. Gonna buy that and use the pre-applied thermal compound instead of repasting my CPU. I can mount the fan for the H60 on the back of my case by the IO shield.

I also just learned that my old V6GT changes colors...

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
My parents said they'd help pay off any extra for an H60. Gonna buy that and use the pre-applied thermal compound instead of repasting my CPU. I can mount the fan for the H60 on the back of my case by the IO shield.

I also just learned that my old V6GT changes colors...
You can always sell or return the V6GT to get some money back. Nice of your parents to help pay. In times of crisis like this parents can be an amazing thing. ;)

Yes you can mount the H60 where your rear exhaust fan likely is or if your case supports it, in the top of the case.

The VCR King

You can always sell or return the V6GT to get some money back. Nice of your parents to help pay. In times of crisis like this parents can be an amazing thing. ;)

Yes you can mount the H60 where your rear exhaust fan likely is or if your case supports it, in the top of the case.
Gonna mount it in place of the rear exhaust fan. I have two 120mm fans in the top of my case right now. I'm gonna keep my V6GT because I might sell it to a friend who is building his own PC soon.