Crap....

spirit

Staff member
Christ, get some canned air on that thing..
Nah I quit using those stupid cans of air. They get really expensive and didn't have enough pressure to blow the dust out of the last PC I tried to clean with them, let alone that heatsink. Bought a electric duster/vacuum combo for like £30 instead which lasts forever and doesn't have the moisture problem either. Obviously use the duster/blower, not the vacuum! Though the vacuum is great for vacuuming the car mats!)

@The VCR King if it's collecting that amount of dust in a week there's a problem! Is your PC sitting on carpet? If so raise it up a bit. I put mine some wooden blocks. Also make sure you clean your room - vacuum the room. You may be cleaning the wrong thing! ;) (having a case with no holes in it helps too!)

The VCR King

Nah I quit using those stupid cans of air. They get really expensive and didn't have enough pressure to blow the dust out of the last PC I tried to clean with them, let alone that heatsink. Bought a electric duster/vacuum combo for like £30 instead which lasts forever and doesn't have the moisture problem either. Obviously use the duster/blower, not the vacuum! Though the vacuum is great for vacuuming the car mats!)

@The VCR King if it's collecting that amount of dust in a week there's a problem! Is your PC sitting on carpet? If so raise it up a bit. I put mine some wooden blocks. Also make sure you clean your room - vacuum the room. You may be cleaning the wrong thing! ;) (having a case with no holes in it helps too!)
My PC is up on a desk a good 3-4 feet off the ground. The dust is mainly because I own a lot of pets (Long-haired cat, a dog that sheds a lot, and a hamster)

Ah, yeah. I have a little compressor that's handy but I've also seen people try to shoot WAY too much PSI into the computer too (silly redneck relatives).

If that's an amount of dust after 1 week then you really need some filters for your house.
Wouldn't be a terrible idea to have some put in, that's for sure :/

spirit

Staff member
Ah, yeah. I have a little compressor that's handy but I've also seen people try to shoot WAY too much PSI into the computer too (silly redneck relatives).
Yeah those little compressors are fine, but they're quite expensive, noisy and heavy - still gotta watch for the mositure too but they're way more powerful than those disposable cans of air. I have 5 cans of air sitting under my desk now, probably all depressurised. Might still be OK to use if I give them a good shake. How long do they last standing still? They've been still since October.

@The VCR King pet hair is a big problem. I'd suggest maybe stopping your pets getting close to the computer or the room. I mean seriously you either don't dust it down thoroughly each time you do it or if you are collecting that much dust in a week you need to do something (could explain all your PSU issues too, you know). Either one!

The VCR King

Yeah those little compressors are fine, but they're quite expensive, noisy and heavy - still gotta watch for the mositure too but they're way more powerful than those disposable cans of air. I have 5 cans of air sitting under my desk now, probably all depressurised. Might still be OK to use if I give them a good shake. How long do they last standing still? They've been still since October.

@The VCR King pet hair is a big problem. I'd suggest maybe stopping your pets getting close to the computer or the room. I mean seriously you either don't dust it down thoroughly each time you do it or if you are collecting that much dust in a week you need to do something (could explain all your PSU issues too, you know). Either one!
My pets don't get near my PC at all, I don't allow them in my office, but dust actually was my PSU issue. I blew so much dust out of the PSU that I had to clean my whole desk with a handi-vac. Ever since it hasn't shut down.

And also, is it possible that I've permanently damaged my PSU in some way from running it to the point of a well-done steak for nearly 2 years?

Also, just for the heck of it I put Fallout 4 on "ultra quality" and it is playing just fine. I'm running ultra quality at about 50FPS, all because I got more RAM!

Last edited by a moderator:

Darren

Staff member
Also, just for the heck of it I put Fallout 4 on "ultra quality" and it is playing just fine. I'm running ultra quality at about 50FPS, all because I got more RAM!

Ultra at 50 FPS? I have a really hard time believing that, particularly just from an increase in RAM.

spirit

Staff member
And also, is it possible that I've permanently damaged my PSU in some way from running it to the point of a well-done steak for nearly 2 years?
Could be possible but mine was pretty dusty and I had that running for 4 years and it's fine. Just see how it goes.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
1680x1050. It actually only played Ultra for about 15 minutes before it locked up and crashed
And that's how you know you have an issue. It should still play on ultra, but it will play like shit. It shouldn't crash.

The VCR King

Tell that to the Fallout devs, not his computer. It's liable to crash regardless of the settings.
After I have someone else install my new cooler (I tried, but it was just really confusing to me and I don't want to damage my PC!) I'm getting a new PSU and a GPU, probably an R9 390, FOR SURE.

The VCR King

Alright guys I think I have a GPU issue. I ran Fallout 4 in windowed mode and every time the game locked up at 1FPS and then began working again my computer popped up a message saying "AMD Display driver has stopped working and recovered successfully"