• Yes, I like Dell

Votes: 32 44.4%
  • No, I dont like Dell

Votes: 33 45.8%
  • Dont care and want to see results

Votes: 7 9.7%

• Total voters

JlCollins005

K so now im wandering if the poll should have been based off do we like dell for ourself not do we like dell because its good for people that dont know crap about pc cuz most everyone that has post saying they like it they have said dell is good for a person that knows nothing.

cohen

dell is good for a person that knows nothing.

i agree - my grandparents bought one because dad was taking forever to build one and was putting it off but that was ages ago before i could do my first build on my own.... so now i know how to do it... if they get another (could be soon) i can do their build :D.... be a hell of a lot cheaper as well.

PabloTeK

I don't get why you are so bothered by Dell, you never buy from them anyway so they should in theory have no effect on you but you're getting all riled up about it. Which is kind of odd.

cohen

I don't get why you are so bothered by Dell, you never buy from them anyway so they should in theory have no effect on you but you're getting all riled up about it. Which is kind of odd.

it's to see everyone's opinions about dell.

speedyink

VIP Member
it's to see everyone's opinions about dell.

Well, see that thats all good and fine. But I think SOME people are getting a little too into this...which to me is kinda bizarre, cause it seems like such an insignificant thing to get so wound up about. Oh well, to each his own I guess. I'm just really glad I don't have to deal with those members in real life:p

tlarkin

VIP Member
The bottom line on Dells is that you are getting what you pay for. A company can not afford to slash prices off of hardware that much and still make money. Unless they were in fact using very cheap parts to begin with. However, you do get some of the best deals for the hardware, it is just most likely lower quality than other companies.

I have worked retail and know the mark ups on hardware sales and know that you can't slash prices down by 25% and continue to make money. The only way for them to do that is to mark up the system way more than they are paying for it and then putting out coupons to make them cheap but still right above profit, just with very low margin.

One of the best prebuilt PCs I have ever seen would probably have to be Microcenter's house brand, powerspec. They have actual retail parts in them, and don't have tons of bloated software preinstalled. So if anything fails you can go out to your local computer store and get some parts for them. I have had a few open box powerspecs over the years and I have to say they are not bad for the price.

tlarkin

VIP Member
By lower quality I mean no name parts, not grade A electronic components, and way less quality control.

There is no way any company can cut off 25% of a laptop price on a regular basis and make money doing so, it is just not possible, unless you are using the cheapest possible parts ever.

If anyone has ever worked retail or in sales you will know that the mark up on hardware is very very small for computers.

Now stereo mark up is a lot. Cables and accessories is a lot, actual computer hardware not so much.

cohen

By lower quality I mean no name parts, not grade A electronic components, and way less quality control.

There is no way any company can cut off 25% of a laptop price on a regular basis and make money doing so, it is just not possible, unless you are using the cheapest possible parts ever.

If anyone has ever worked retail or in sales you will know that the mark up on hardware is very very small for computers.

Now stereo mark up is a lot. Cables and accessories is a lot, actual computer hardware not so much.

Agree with everything you said.

And then when you learn to upgrade computers... you can't really upgrade them because they have crap hardware inside....

tlarkin

VIP Member
I mean you can't beat it for the buck, Dells are some of the cheapest out there. I like to use the KIA, Lexus analogy here. Sure you can buy a KIA (Dell) or get something else (lexus) and they both go 70 MPH, and they both get the job done, however you know that more quality engineering and higher quality parts went into the Lexus.

Last edited: