Dude, I'm gettin' a Dell... :-)

So tell me, johnb35, why do you feel sorry for me? I'm only expecting it to last about two years before I upgrade again.

What in the hell is wrong with Dell...

Really.

I got a great price and a good warranty. It is built solid and had only one piece of pre-installed crap. Two years is USUALLY about all you can get from any computer. I'll want to upgrade by then. This unit in NOT like most of the other pre-built units I have seen. You ASSumed when you made your comment, and I agree with you about HP's stuff. However, this one seems to be working just right, and if it messes up, it's got a hell of a warranty from the factory and the brick and mortar facility where I purchased it.

Dude, please don't accuse me of trolling. Okay? I'm not doing that. I would never make accusations like that. I beg that you do not do that to me.

And as far as cable management, I only have a keyboard and mouse along with an audio stereo out. I also have a Samsung condenser and a webcam. All of the cables fit neatly around my desk, and I have no problems.

UPDATE: I now realize that you mean internal cable management. I haven't opened the unit, so I don't know. I don't want to void the warranty.

Last edited:
Once again, I am not a troll. I wish only the best for you and everyone else on this forum. I have a history of posting on this forum and although it is small, it is not in the single digits. I have responded politely and relevantly to other's posts, and I humbly plead innocent to your charges. I also wish you a Happy Holiday season... :)

Calin

UPDATE: I now realize that you mean internal cable management. I haven't opened the unit, so I don't know. I don't want to void the warranty.
I highly doubt opening the PC will void the warranty. It even states on the website that you can buy extra RAM for it. If all you do is browse the internet then the PC will be fine but if you want to play any sort of modern games you will have a bad experience because of the integrated graphics.
And the PSU is more than likely cheaply made and will blow up sooner or later if you put in any decent dedicated GPU. (Assuming it even has the wattage to run it properly, it doesn't state on the site)

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Dells build quality just sucks anymore. It's almost to the point of HP now. The retail side of Dell is bad, the business side may not be, such as the latitude laptops and optiplex desktops. The inspiron laptops and desktop are crap. What type of warranty did you get? I bought a studio laptop a long time ago and it didn't last long before the bad quality started showing. I rma'd it due to bad touchpad and they didn't replace it. It would go sporadic after it got so hot. I had to quit using it cause it was a pain. I still have it but its going in the trash.

_Pete_

Some of this stuff on this thread is absolute rubbish. As long as you don't want to play games Dell computers are as good as anyone elses. Since stuff is being made in China all manufacturer's goods have become poor quality. Do not forget that even if you build your own computer all you are doing is connecting a load of prebuilt (in China) items together. The massive advantage of buying Dell in my opinion is that, at least here in the UK, you get Dell to come and pick the computer up from your home and bring it back if it goes wrong and they can't fix it over the phone. Yes Dells are not very easy to upgrade but then that would not be in Dells interest. And you are 100% correct a computer only lasts a couple of years before it is so out of date it should be replaced. They are, in fact, obsolete as soon as they leave the factory.

Thanks for your reply, Pete...

I was unaware that Dell would pick up my computer from my residence if they couldn't handle my problem(s) over the phone.

...and since I will primarily use the computer for social media, my job (an online commute to a virtual office), audio mastering, and document creation, I should be able to use this computer for everything I need.

Oh yeah, throw in a little Civ VI as well... :)

_Pete_

Well not being a gamer myself I'm not sure about Civilisation although I believe the graphics are pretty low key on that game. But the rest shouldn't be any problem whatsoever. Oh and realise that I said Dell do a home pickup/return in UK. I don't know where you are but I would think the same applies, at least, in America.

Yeah, I'm in the United States, so they could just pay for shipping and accomplish the same thing.

Civilization VI is a turn-based strategy game and the terrain generator does some pretty fierce things, but so far, my new Dell seems to be handling it with no major problems.

Yeah, if I wanted to play a lot of the action-packed video games, then I would need a GTX 980ti or something along those lines.

However, I'm an old-timer that loves turn-based strategy games and Civ VI is the king of them, and that's about all I have time for these days.

beers

Staff member
Two years is USUALLY about all you can get from any computer.
That's the expectation when you build/buy the cheapest computer possible.
You ASSumed when you made your comment
Disagreeing with someone doesn't make it okay to passively aggressively attack them.
And you are 100% correct a computer only lasts a couple of years before it is so out of date it should be replaced. They are, in fact, obsolete as soon as they leave the factory.
That's a mindset built around false logic.
I got a great price and a good warranty.
I think you could have gotten a lot more for your money in the $550 range, but if you're happy with it then that's what matters.

So what unit would you suggest, beers?

I can still return the unit at this early stage of the warranty I received from the brick and mortar where I purchased the computer.

_Pete_

Disagreeing with someone doesn't make it okay to passively aggressively attack them.

That's a mindset built around false logic.

I think you could have gotten a lot more for your money in the $550 range, but if you're happy with it then that's what matters.

So you think that as soon as a computer goes on the shelves the maunfacturers are not working on new ones. In fact they are working on new ones long before current ones go on the shelves. the only "false logic" being displayed here is yours.

beers

Staff member
If it suits your needs then whatevs.

I don't really feel compelled to do your homework although my last prebuilt contained a pentium 2.
So you think that as soon as a computer goes on the shelves the maunfacturers are not working on new ones. In fact they are working on new ones long before current ones go on the shelves. the only "false logic" being displayed here is yours.
That's a swing and a miss on the point I was making, but thanks for being condescending.