EMERGENCY!!! COMPUTER BRICKED!!! HELP ME ASAP!!

The VCR King

Bumpity bump. I have an update.

I am confused. I have NOT swapped the PSU yet, but my PC has somehow had 9 days uptime with no issues. Of course, I probably just jinxed myself by saying that... :/

The VCR King

Before I buy and replace my PSU, do you think it would be worth opening up and blowing all the dust and crap out of the current one and see if that fixes the overheat issue?

The VCR King

Update:
Just used a can of compressed air to clean out the PSU. It wasn't too horribly clogged, but when I shot the air into the fan vent a cloud of dust belched out all over my keyboard. Now I have to clean my keyboard. :rolleyes: The PSU is a bit quieter though. Normally the fan in it was kinda loud but its quieter. I don't know if cleaning the PSU could've effected this, but the PC booted faster as well. At least hopefully the overheating issue is finally fixed now. :) I also noticed the PSU was only attached by three screws because the 4th hole won't align with the case. :mad:
2KMI7lu.jpg

I didn't get an after pic though, but (most) of the dust is gone now. :D

As someone that basically has no idea what they're doing, I'm quite proud of myself. ;)
6nOxar5.png

The VCR King

Sorry to bump, but dusting out the PSU seemed to fix the issue. I blew out so much dust that I probably got bronchitis and I am truly ashamed as a PC owner. However the whole system is running cooler and I can apply small overclocks without crashing her.

The VCR King

I was watching YouTube and my PC shut off. The whole thing lost power as if someone unplugged the PC while it was running. Got it back up and running, and event viewer showed Event 41 Kernel Power. Do I need a new PSU?

Edit: I have a program that displays system temps in the tray. I remember it said 27 celsius before it crashed.

Last edited:

The VCR King

I think people have told you this repeatedly.

Personally I'd like to see another meat thermometer reading to verify it's actually overheating.
PSU is running cool, actually. I dusted it out and it has been cool to the touch ever since...

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You should have just replied to the original thread instead of creating a new one so members know the history. I can't find the thread to merge this into. Either a psu issue or a failing hdd can cause shut downs.