FANALLY!!!!! I get a new computer!!!!

34erd

I just spent 5 hours typing this and then IE crashed :mad: ... but here it is again.

I finally get a new computer :) I have a budhet of $2000. My mom wont let me build it so I'm buying from ibuypower. I'll build a computer at my dads house. So here is what I'm buying:

Case ( [New !!!] Raidmax X-1 ATX Mid-tower Case w/420W Power Supply Silver )

Case Lighting ( Neon Light Blue )

Power Supply ( [$30 Mail-In-Rebate NOW !!!] Ultra X-Finity 500W ATX PS w/2 80mm Fans - Titanium Black(ULT31648) )

Processor ( [939-pin] AMD® Athlon-64 3000+ CPU w/ Hyper Transport Technology )

Free Software/Game ( Free Half Life 2 Download Coupon Free Half Life 2 download coupon with purchase of AMD-64 based systems )

Processor Cooling ( Certified CPU Fan and Heatsink + 2 Extra Color Lighting Case Fans )

Motherboard ( MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum-SLI nForce4-SLI Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Dual Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE 1394 PCI-E MB )

Memory ( 1024 MB [512MB X2] DDR-400 PC3200 Memory Module Kingston Hyper-X w/ Heat Spreader )

Video Card ( [PCI-Express 16x] Nvidia Geforce 7800GT 256MB w/DVI + TV Out Video )

Hard Drive ( [Special !!!] 160 GB HARD DRIVES [S-ATA] Maxtor 160 GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache Hard Drive )

CD-RW/DVD-RW Drive ( Sony DWQ-28A Dual Format/Double Layer 16X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive Silver )

Sound Card ( Creative Lab Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit 7.1 )

Network Card ( Intel Pro 10/100/1000 Network Card )

Floppy Drive ( Mitsumi 1.44 MB Internal Floppy Drive Silver )

Meter Display ( Thermal Temperature LCD Display Silver )

Operation System ( None- Pre-formatted Hard Drive Only )

Case Round Cable ( Professional wiring for all cables inside the system tower )

Wireless Network Adapter ( LinkSys WUSB54G 802.11g 54Mbps Wireless USB Adapter )

Warranty ( Warranty Service Standard Warranty + 1-Year i-Care Deluxe On-site Service + 24/7 Phone Support )

Rush Service ( Rush Service Fee (not shipping fee) No Rush, Ship Out in 5~10 Business Days )

I'm mainly using it for school work and heavy gaming during the summer. Anything I should change? Should I wait for the next tech burst or should I buy now while the curent tech is cheap?

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
where are the fans gonna go? front back? side? Might want to consider getting another fan and maybe a fan controller seeing you have the budget.

X24

So let me get this straight, you get to get 2 computers? dang you are lucky......then again i have like 3.
Um, are you sure your mom won't let u build a computer? because 2000 for that seems a little off......let me see what i can do there.

34erd

Oh I forgot to mention I still have to buy a gaming LCD moniter and a headset and a good mouse and keyboard, so my total is $1550 not $2000 and the rest goes to the above. Thats why I went with the 3000+ and the 7800GT. Will my bottleneck be the CPU?

I'll see if I can convince my mom to let me build it. And yes, I get 2 computers but I only get to use 1 at a time because my parents a separated.

I'm also thinking of getting the liquid CPU cooling option for only ~$100 more so that way I can OC my 3000 instead of spending another $250 on a better CPU.

EDIT: also will my PSU be good enough if I decide to SLI another 7800 later or should I try to make budget room for an SLI certified PSU?

Last edited:

skidude

34erd said:
Will my bottleneck be the CPU?

You can OC a 3000+ to the equivalent of about an FX-55.

Case Round Cable ( Professional wiring for all cables inside the system tower )

Smart move. I got pro. wiring, my case looks EMPTY and I have great airflow.

Meter Display ( Thermal Temperature LCD Display Silver )

I have the same exact thing from ibuypower and that meter only displays the case temp.

EDIT: also will my PSU be good enough if I decide to SLI another 7800 later or should I try to make budget room for an SLI certified PSU?

Wait until you get the second 7800 be 4 u upgrade the PSU.

Sound Card ( Creative Lab Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit 7.1 )

What speakers with that???

Motherboard ( MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum-SLI nForce4-SLI Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Dual Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE 1394 PCI-E MB )

Good choice on that! :D

Should I wait for the next tech burst or should I buy now while the curent tech is cheap?

Buy now, upgrade later (when needed)

Rush Service ( Rush Service Fee (not shipping fee) No Rush, Ship Out in 5~10 Business Days )

From my expirience w/ them it will be more like 10-15 buisness days. BUT, they got my PC here in 2 days, when the expected time was about 5 days.

Hope this helps!! :D

34erd

What speakers with that???

Well I cant use speakers because my family doesnt like the sound of gunshots :p . So I am going to get a good headset. Is there no point of getting a sound card if i'm using headphones?

Oh and thanks for the input, I'll cut off the LCD temp display and get the mini liquid cpu cooler :D

X24

Ok, i got ya!
Might want a bigger hard drive if you want to store lots of music and stuff, but idk if you do or not........

skidude

34erd said:
Is there no point of getting a sound card if i'm using headphones?

Pretty much....

Oh and thanks for the input

Its kinda my second job... :p

, I'll cut off the LCD temp display and get the mini liquid cpu cooler :D

Good choice, because the temp display really does nothing except make people think your PC is 'advanced' :D

34erd

Nah, I dont need a bigger hard drive, I've been using a 40 gig hard drive so 160 gigs seems HUGE. I also dont store music so yeah...

skidude

34erd said:
Nah, I dont need a bigger hard drive, I've been using a 40 gig hard drive so 160 gigs seems HUGE.

:D I also have the same HDD as you.... trust me, 160 gigs is PLENTY.

Ku-sama

banned
doesnt the board already have 7.1 integration??? and its not like headphones have the 8 wires for 7.1, i dont even think they make 7.1 headphones :p stick with the integration, but get a case with a headphone input on the front so your wire wont be shortened

X24

hahaha, well, i have ALOT of media!
around 90-100 GB of music alone
and i also have around the same amount of video and also some movies........

skidude

X24 said:
around 90-100 GB of music alone

Ok, I have 300 songs on my PC and that doesnt even take up a gig, so 100 gigs is like....... quick calculation 28,500 songs!?!?!?! Is that right??? :confused: :eek:

34erd

Ok thanks, just one more question, can the DVDRW drive I am getting can also read and write CD's? Or Do I need a separate drive to read things? I should probably get a second drive if I want to copy CD's though.

Ku-sama

banned
DVD/RW = EVERYTHING!!! lol, they will read anything and burn anything, espeically if they are a dual layer and dual format drive