FANALLY!!!!! I get a new computer!!!!

34erd

X24 you said I should go fro cheaper parts and the GTX, so is it better to lower the RAM and mobo quality and get the GTX? Because I'm planning to overclock my CPU so I want good parts, also I think the 7800GT will be powerfull enough.

X24

yes, but the GT isn't to easy to find, if you wanted to upgrade to sli sometime it would be easier to find the GTX, but i guess it won't make a big difference....btw did u get the XMS with the lights? those are so cool!

34erd

Alright... I may buy from a different vendor. Has anybody had any experiance with Puget Custom Computers? Their reviews look pretty good. I'm going a bit over budget with them but here is what I can get from them...

Motherboard: Asus A8N-SLI Premium $242.81
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 (939) 3000+ 90nm $177.91
CPU: Cooling Thermalright XP-90 Heatsink w/ 92mm Papst Fan $72.50
Ram: OCZ PC3200 Perf. DC - 2x 512mb $187.33
Case: Lian-Li PC7H+ w/ Window $135.61
Power: Supply Seasonic S12 Series 500W Power Supply $138.37
Hard Drive: Western Digital SATA 160.0GB WD1600JD $113.40
Video Card: BFG nVidia GeForce 7800 GT 256MB $560.93
Monitor: None $0.00
Sound Card: Onboard Sound $0.00
Speakers: None $0.00
CD / DVD Rom: Plextor PX-716SA/SW 16x DVD+RW/-RW SATA $180.61
Removable Drive: Teac 3.5inch 1.44 Floppy Drive (black) $21.94
Keyboard None: $0.00
Mouse None: $0.00
Case Mods: 24 inch UV SATA Cable (Blue) $7.06
Case Mods: Floppy 18inch Round Cable Silver $2.32
Case Mods: UV Floppy Cable (blue) $5.12

Sub Total: $1845.92

Which puts me a bit over budget but I'll see if I can do something about it because the reviews of puget systems were better than ibuypower and they seem less overly flashy.. I dunno, I might just be over obssessed of getting a perfect computer. :eek:

Geoff

VIP Member
Holy crap 34erd! there ripping you off!!

7800GTX 256MB on newegg: $419
Floppy drive on newegg: $9
16x DVD+/-RW Burner on newegg: $40
Maxtor 160GB SATA Hard drive on newegg: $75
Aspire 550Watt PSU on newegg: $55

My advice to you would be to get a very cheap or integrated video card on ibuypower, and no drive, or jsut a cd-drive, and no floppy, then but those on newegg and save hundreds!

If you cant do that, i would seriously look into another company.

Last edited:

34erd

Yeah I know... I'll try to convince my mom to let me build it.

Could you guys write up a post that will convince my mom... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

X24

yes that would be alot better, and u could probably squeez in either sli 7800GTX's or a way better cpu

skidude

34erd said:
Could you guys write up a post that will convince my mom... :rolleyes:

OK 34erd's mom, let him build it. It will save him (or you if you're paying for some or all) at least $400 or so. I believe he has the full capability to put it together, and trust me, building a PC is not as hard as it sounds. Also, if he runs into any problems, well, thats what we are here for. C'mon, let him do it!! :D

PS- It'll be a great learning expirience which will help him get a job later in life, because, you have to admit, some people dont know anything about computers, except that they send e-mails.

X24

ok, building a computer would not only save him money short term, but the experience would let him be able to fix a computer if it every breaks, saving money you would be spending sending it to geek squad or back to dell or w/e.
Also, this would allow him to not have to buy a new pc every time his needs change, instead he can buy a new part for a fraction of the cost of a new computer and it will work for what he wants it to again

34erd

Ugh I just spent 6 hours typing and IE crashed again.. Is their any way I can share my cart because I'm to lazy to type again...

Fine I'll just do a boring version of it...

OK so my mom will let me build it, its just up to me not to screw up, so here is what I'm getting.

DVD burner

Case

Monitor

mobo

video card

power supply

keyboard

mouse

headphones

RAM

Processor

Cooling

Subtotal: $2,039.69

And about $200 tax and shipping and oh I forgot a wireless adaptor... I'll see what I can do about that...

So is there anything I should change? Anything that will help me OC better fro the price of my original compnent? Also is the smell of coolent in my water cooler thingy strong? Because I keep my PC in my room so....

Last edited:

Ignorantguy

34erd- if you havent built a pc b4 i highly suggest having someone who does with you cause when you run into problems and you will(i.e. flashing the bios), no build goes smooth, you be able to learn with the aid of some1 who knows what theyre doin and you'll be less likely to **** something up. look at my sig...that build took quite awhile. i am comfortable enough to put any pc together but i still had some1 more skilled with me. you are spending too much money for a noob to just jump in there and put it together.

as for what you got:

case is very nice but not a good choice if u plan on adding fan controlers or anything the protrudes from the face

DVD burner is meeh u can save $ by getting a NEC. they work just as good. for the price difference your just buying the name

monitor is an excellent choice. response time and contrast ratio are the key features to look for when buying a lcd.

mobo is good but u might want to think get an x2 compatible for a future upgrade when games support dual core procs but thats just me. this will save u $20 and its just as good a mfger as abit or if u dont mind spendin alittle more get what i got. you wont regret it.

video card is great im partcial to eVGA

psu no problems there

u dont need that mouse cause that wireless set has one however if your gaming i wouldnt reccommend wireless and if want that mouse and youre gonna spend that much get the razor diamondback or copperhead they are excellent

ram is no good your mobo only supports DDR400 that ram is DDR600

proc is fine thats the lowest u wanna go with that 7800

water cooling if fine but ud be much happeir with this

remember these are just suggestions. all in all u have a kick ass rig.

Last edited:

34erd

OK, so different mobo, cheaper mouse, cheaper DVD burner, different case posibly... But just because the mobo only suports ddr 400 doesnt mean it wont run that high, like if I overclock it, it may be running at that speed, but if I get a lower rated RAM then it may crash because of OCing the CPU. Also I cant spend that much money on cooling.

Also yeah, I'm not really woried about building it, but rather getting the drivers and OS to work and make it run. Once I finish building it I might be able to take it to school, I have a computer teacher who actualy knows stuff about computers (yes they do exist), and I told him about my project and he said "let me know how it goes", so I can probably get help from him.

redrider773

Whooooooa no no no no no. DO NOT DO NOT get those eDimension headphones. I bought those from newegg, the quality was HORRIBLE. no positional sounds, and that advertised "vibration", was just that. no bass in the vibration, just shakes around. Anyway, they died withing 1 day I got them, had to RMA. Get 5.1 sorround headphones. Got these after: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16826106150. wicked nice, only thing is, they are USB. still amazingly good.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
X24 said:
hahaha, well, i have ALOT of media!
around 90-100 GB of music alone

I have almost 5,000 songs. 20.25GB. I have been purchasing CD's and vinyl albums for almost 13 years. I have spent close to $4,000(USD) on my legit music collection.

How may I ask did you afford to buy 90-100GB of music? Did your parents help?

34erd

So my power supply is OK? Arent I suposed to have like 24a on the +12v?

Also what case do you guys recomend that is simple looking, but still has good cooling and expandiblity?

Any sugestions for a wirelss adaptor?