Favorite OS

Camper

I don't have a favorite because each OS has it's strengths and weaknesses. I don't think there will ever be a perfect OS.

Le GoogelGuRu

I don't really have a favorite OS, but I use Windows XP primarily and I don't have a whole lot of problems with it. I've had to lean towards Windows for compatibility, but then again Mac OS X is nice too.

jasonz

Why? You can do both in Linux and it is way more secure because the lack of spyware/malware for Linux

This may be true if you are talking about limewire, which i cant get to work btw, but I use ruckus which has DRM protection which i cannot find out how to play in Linux. If i download anything off limewire in windows, i can access it from linux and put it on my mediaplayer. I have like 3 gigs of legally downloaded music on windows that i cant play on linux. But the awesome thing is that i just bought an mp3 player with WindowsPlaysForSure, and i can put all my music on it without spending any money or breaking the law at all. I love it. This is one thing that i favor windows and can say screw apple.

Le GoogelGuRu

This may be true if you are talking about limewire, which i cant get to work btw, but I use ruckus which has DRM protection which i cannot find out how to play in Linux. If i download anything off limewire in windows, i can access it from linux and put it on my mediaplayer. I have like 3 gigs of legally downloaded music on windows that i cant play on linux. But the awesome thing is that i just bought an mp3 player with WindowsPlaysForSure, and i can put all my music on it without spending any money or breaking the law at all. I love it. This is one thing that i favor windows and can say screw apple.
iPods can play MP3s...

Le GoogelGuRu

Music from ruckus is WMA format with DRM codes on it. I am almost sure that ipods cannot play this format. Correct me if im wrong, but i think im right,
Oh... I don't think they can play WMA format either, I have one, but I only have MP3s anyway.

henryjsaunders

Hi,

Were kind of getting off topic here i would prefer it if you just kept to posting your favorite os(s) is you have one.

It would be great if you just posting your os and when i have enough i will add them up and show then to you.

tlarkin

VIP Member

foobar
songbird
VLC
kaffeine
xine

all open source, support tons of formats (aac, mp3, ogg, wma, flac, divx, avi, mpeg, vob, etc), and a lot of times can remove DRM from your file. Also, typically all DRM stuff is not stored on the server side, its stored on the client side so if you use Linux it will probably not add DRM to it. Some subscription services may not work because of that. Bittorrent works for Linux, and Limewire, even though Limewire is a huge piece of crap and I do not recommend anyone use it.

jasonz

I cant get them to play in kafeine or xine. I will try the others. Yea, i can get the wma's to play, but not ones with drm. I have software to remove the DRM,but that makes another copy of the song(i think) and takes up more HD space. If you know how to get theses to play DRM without any other software, plz let me know.

Thanks

tlarkin

VIP Member
I cant get them to play in kafeine or xine. I will try the others. Yea, i can get the wma's to play, but not ones with drm. I have software to remove the DRM,but that makes another copy of the song(i think) and takes up more HD space. If you know how to get theses to play DRM without any other software, plz let me know.

Thanks

You could write a script to automate this, and then do batch jobs. It could remove DRM tags from folder X then delete the original file, and hence you would have the new file DRM free. I am sure if you google it you can find out something that already does this. I don't use DRM media so its hard for me to exactly say what works best. I bet the app that removes DRM can do batch jobs from the gui like this and a script isn't even needed.

Here is the problem with Linux. People rely on windows ease of use (simply because they are used to it, if you grew up working on Linux windows would seem alien to you) they have a hard time learning another OS or a hard time adapting.

Take the time and go through some walk throughs and learn a bit. go to a linux based forum they have newbie sections and generally are very nice because they want you to learn to use linux.

Linux has its down sides and can be a huge pain sometimes but once you get through the crap its worth it IMO.

kgordon

xp.....i like ME when it came out, but xp now. On my new build ill have xp because of all the problems i hear about vista, and not all of my stuff is legal:rolleyes: