FINALLY getting a new power supply!

spirit

Staff member
Nice. Really hope this sorts out your issues. :)

But now when you have a problem or want to buy something I can't just say 'power supply'. :(

The VCR King

Nice. Really hope this sorts out your issues. :)

But now when you have a problem or want to buy something I can't just say 'power supply'. :(
LOL! Actually the install is kinda a PITA because the previous owner ziptied all the cables to the frame of the case so I'm cutting dozens of frickin zipties so I can actually begin removal of the CMX.

spirit

Staff member
LOL! Actually the install is kinda a PITA because the previous owner ziptied all the cables to the frame of the case so I'm cutting dozens of frickin zipties so I can actually begin removal of the CMX.
You'll find that you need to do that on a lot of systems, even pre-built ones from people like HP and Dell, I'm afraid. I know a lot of my cables are zip-tied. You have to do that to keep them in place so that you can get the panels back on correctly and make sure cables are routed away from fans.

The VCR King

ITS ALIVE! I'm posting this from my PC, now running the new PSU. It booted up fine and everything is good. I even did cable management too but I had to move my BD drive down a bay because the SATA cable was kinda short. And I installed the whole thing by myself in about 20 minutes, no help, it was actually really easy, basically unplug all the old cables, route the new cables through the case, then plug them back in. I feel proud of myself. I'll post the before and after pics later.

When I rebooted the PC it said CMOS SETTINGS INCORRECT and I had to manually enter time, date, year, and boot order for whatever reason. Next time I have the PC shut off I'll replace the CMOS battery and see if that helps this issue. I'm also running HWMonitor to make sure my voltages are stable on the new PSU and so far everything has been excellent!

Also, here's my Imgur album of the before-and-after pics:
http://imgur.com/a/z8CHY

Replaced CMOS battery and now it says BOOTMGR is missing. Currently posting from my phone as I'm running startup repair

Edit: nothing wrong, forgot to plug in a SATA cable.

That doesn't make any frickin sense though, because my entire OS install is on the 1TB drive. If my SSD is unplugged my PC throws BOOTMGR MISSING and other boot errors, although there is nothing on the SSD at all...

In the end though, I'm glad I finally got my power supply replaced and my PC back up and running properly. Hopefully my new Thermaltake SMART Performance 650W gives me years of dependable service :D

Last edited by a moderator:

beers

Staff member
That doesn't make any frickin sense though, because my entire OS install is on the 1TB drive. If my SSD is unplugged my PC throws BOOTMGR MISSING and other boot errors, although there is nothing on the SSD at all...
If you had both drives installed when installing windows the boot manager was likely installed on the SSD

Also, what are you doing not using the SSD as the OS drive? :p

The VCR King

If you had both drives installed when installing windows the boot manager was likely installed on the SSD

Also, what are you doing not using the SSD as the OS drive? :p
I honestly don't know why I'm not using it and I do not want to migrate it over at this point. And I think it's stupid that the boot manager would be installed on a different drive than the frickin OS! :mad:

lol was thinking the same, guessing not enough storage
That's exactly why. When I first got the PC the OS was on the stupid little 120GB SSD and with my games and iTunes I filled it up in 3 days so I moved it all onto the 1TB disk.

Last edited by a moderator:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
That's exactly why. When I first got the PC the OS was on the stupid little 120GB SSD and with my games and iTunes I filled it up in 3 days so I moved it all onto the 1TB disk.
That's because you didn't want to listen to us on how to free up the space and how you should have configured things.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Please start editing your posts instead of posting new ones when noone has posted yet.

beers

Staff member
I honestly don't know why I'm not using it and I do not want to migrate it over at this point. And I think it's stupid that the boot manager would be installed on a different drive than the frickin OS! :mad:
Next time you reformat just leave the data you want on the HDD and unhook it. Then you can install your OS just to the SSD and already have whatever else on the HDD when you reconnect it after installation.

spirit

Staff member
Next time you reformat just leave the data you want on the HDD and unhook it. Then you can install your OS just to the SSD and already have whatever else on the HDD when you reconnect it after installation.
That's the way to do it. Whether you're installing Windows onto an SSD or an HDD, to prevent things like this from happening you need to only have the drive you're installing Windows onto plugged in.