FireFox - Is it good?

SirKenin

banned
I am going to post this in the browser thread, but I did a test of the three browsers on a website that I test security on. I can't post the link because it is not a legal site, but that's not the point. Every single page and download on the site are chock full of self-installing spyware, virii and trojans. Tons of them.

So, I first tested antivirus programs on it. The only one that actually did anything was Avast! In fact it was so bad that Avast! shut the website down so the server connection was dropped and you couldn't view the page.

Then I tested all three browsers on it. ALL OF THEM let the malware through. Every single one. None of them stopped it. Which proved conclusively that ActiveX is not the threat anymore, Opera and Firefox are every bit as vulnerable to infection as IE7 is, and it is completely pointless to cripple the web by viewing it with Opera or Firefox. You won't be doing yourself any favors.

If you want the fastest browsing, both IE7 and Opera smoke Firefox for rendering. Firefox screws up on the rendering of some pages because they are coded for IE. There really is no sense in getting it from my testing.

SirKenin

banned
can you PM me this link? I am curious

No. I already had one request for that in the last couple of minutes. I refuse to do any advertising for them. One reason is that they pose themselves as a legitimate website. Their intentions are to infect as many people as possible. I will not support their endeavours in any fashion. I strictly use them as a test bed for various applications, mostly testing out out my own security. The other reason is that if my computer screws up as a result, that's my problem. I won't take responsibility for screwing up someone else's computer.. It is pretty bad, I kid you not. :eek:

Verve

if not for anything else, I like the layout of FF and I'm going to stick with it until at least I get Vista. I've never had any major problems so there's no real reason for me to switch back to IE.

loque

ALL OF THEM let the malware through.
If, by letting malware through, you mean they install just by visiting a web page and not by downloading anything, then in Opera at least they're using an unknown exploit since there aren't any known unpatched vulnerabilities in Opera. You should consider passing the URL to a security group so they can check it out.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Also, the extensions I run in firefox don't let a lot of things to run with out my permission. I can even stop java scripts on websites, which is why I am hard pressed to believe that it always gets through.

I guess I will have to remain skeptic or just find the site on my own

SirKenin

banned
If, by letting malware through, you mean they install just by visiting a web page and not by downloading anything, then in Opera at least they're using an unknown exploit since there aren't any known unpatched vulnerabilities in Opera. You should consider passing the URL to a security group so they can check it out.

They do it in Firefox too, as well as IE. It might be better to report them to their host.

SirKenin

banned
Uhh, because maybe Firefox offers absolutely no advantage to the user apart from plugins, and I live just fine without them.

gamerman4

I think it would be the Firewalls problem and not the browsers to protect against intruding software. I can get malware on my comp when my firewall is off even when there aren't ANY browsers open. A high-security browser like Opera is no match for what a good firewall can do.

Anyways, last time I used Opera it wasnt ad free like it is now. So I'm dling it to see if there are any reasons why I should switch. I will post anything I see as worthy of a switch once it is done.

gamerman4

Okay after playign with Opera I saw some features that looked okay but I still think Firefox is best for my preferences.

The installation was painless and it booted up faster than firefox (big woop...firefox takes forever anyways).
Being the obsessive PC tweak freak that I am I decided to see all the nice customization options available for me....
Was pretty disappointed...I can't create my own toolbars like I can in Firefox...I cant even put the toolbars in the order I want them in. I like the tabs to be the bottom most thing on the top toolbars like in firefox....
oh well lets try some other stuff....
I cant even put the toolbars in the order I want them in. I like the tabs to be the bottom most thing on the top toolbars like in firefox.
The way they put all the buttons in categories was not as well thought out as it could have and it got confusing...
I like how you can either show images or only used ones that have been cached.
I noticed that it displayed pages slightly faster than FF on my 26k connection but only slightly since I've tuned firefox's internal settings so it is pretty quick.
Anyways, I won't be switching to Opera anytime soon.

loque

They do it in Firefox too, as well as IE. It might be better to report them to their host.
I know that, but that's not what I meant. I said if just by visiting a website, you can get malware installed on your machine using Opera, the site that's distributing the malware must be taking advantage of a currently unreported exploit in Opera, since there are no unpatched flaws at present according to Secunia.

Either that or there are other factors involved which you haven't stated.

Jet

VIP Member
Hmm. I wonder if SirKenin voted for Firefox or not :)

Firefox is a great program, and with the extentions you can make it look very nice as well as being functional. The All-in-Gestures extension is very handy as you can use the right mouse button/drag to do many things faster than you could otherwise.