Folding@Home: CF Official Discussion Thread

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Aww yup you did

I thought something was up when your average was dropping

What are and were you folding on? Just the 4870? CPU too?

On my new desktop I was doing my 4870 and my Phenom II 555BE. My other desktop is doing GPU only (9800GT).

G25r8cer

On my new desktop I was doing my 4870 and my Phenom II 555BE. My other desktop is doing GPU only (9800GT).

Gotcha

I need to get another card. I have been watching on ebay for a good deal for a while now. My current xfx 9600gso overclocked is pulling 3500-3700ppd by itself. Not bad for $40 shipped. If only I can find another one

lucasbytegenius

I think I'll get an old Dell Dimension 2400 I have at a friend's house folding. It just sits there, on all the time, because I like to connect to it with TeamViewer and start downloads on it and pick them up when I visit him. So, after I get Win7 working on it, do you think it will perform well? It's got a 2.53 GHz Celeron CPU, with 1 GB RAM.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I think I'll get an old Dell Dimension 2400 I have at a friend's house folding. It just sits there, on all the time, because I like to connect to it with TeamViewer and start downloads on it and pick them up when I visit him. So, after I get Win7 working on it, do you think it will perform well? It's got a 2.53 GHz Celeron CPU, with 1 GB RAM.

You're better off slapping a copy of XP on there.

lucasbytegenius

Yeah, but I already installed it-and it performs great! 0-3% CPU usage idle, with even more progs running in the tray than when XP was on it. XP idled at 5-8%. RAM usage is an unbelievable 460-550 MB, unbelievable because 7 supposedly requires 1 GB. I have so many wacky ooh-which-one-to-install-7-on-next ideas now:)...

G25r8cer

Only averaging 1pt less than you. Crap your still beating me but, not for long

LOL

Capture-77.png

Drenlin

So guys...I'm really having trouble getting the SMP client working. I installed using the guide on OCN, and it'll start, cpu usage will go to 100%, but no work will get done and it eventually seems to just give up or something. I think it attempts to acquire a new WU, but it never happens. While it's "working", I get a lot of weird problems that would usually indicate an unstable CPU, but I'm on my 15th hour of prime95 right now with no errors, and the CPU hasn't gone higher than 37C.

Soo...what have I done?

Last edited:

Buzz1927

Digaredd
So guys...I'm really having trouble getting the SMP client working. I installed using the guide on OCN, and it'll start, cpu usage will go to 100%, but no work will get done and it eventually seems to just give up or something. I think it attempts to acquire a new WU, but it never happens. While it's "working", I get a lot of weird problems that would usually indicate an unstable CPU, but I'm on my 15th hour of prime95 right now with no errors, and the CPU hasn't gone higher than 37C.

Soo...what have I done?
Which SMP client are you using? Try using a different one and see if you still get the same problems.

G25r8cer

^^ You have really been blasting the points out lately. Im trying to get back to my average as I restarted my pc the other day and forgot to start the client back up. I am also hoping to get a new gpu this winter (gts 450 or two). I heard 450's can get 10k + ppd

Buzz1927

Digaredd
^^ You have really been blasting the points out lately. Im trying to get back to my average as I restarted my pc the other day and forgot to start the client back up. I am also hoping to get a new gpu this winter (gts 450 or two). I heard 450's can get 10k + ppd
A 460 will get 10k, 450 not so good :mad: but all points are good! :) I'm planning on getting a 460 as well soon, and keeping the 260 folding, just need a little support from others..

Buzz1927

Digaredd
So Buzz, it doesn't seem that I'm getting any bonus points.

What client and WU's are you running?
You need to do 10 units before you get the bonus. You should be running smp2 version 6.30 (I think it is) and doing a3 WU's (although you get the occasional small unit as well).

Bodaggit23

You need to do 10 units before you get the bonus. You should be running smp2 version 6.30 (I think it is) and doing a3 WU's (although you get the occasional small unit as well).

Yes, I'm running 6.30 and using ./fah6 -smp 8

Is that correct?

Is there a time cutoff?

I completed 10 units earlier this year using my same passcode.
Do I have to start over?

Thanks for the help. :good:

Buzz1927

Digaredd
Yes, I'm running 6.30 and using ./fah6 -smp 8

Is that correct?

Is there a time cutoff?

I completed 10 units earlier this year using my same passcode.
Do I have to start over?

Thanks for the help. :good:
I'm using just -smp, but if yours is working then probably best to leave it alone. The cutoff doesn't really matter, you'll finish the units way before that, just by how much increases the bonus.

I'd guess you completed a2 units, I'm sure I read you need to complete 10 a3 units before the bonus kicks in, but I could be wrong. In any case, should only be 3 days before the bonus kicks in! :)

Bodaggit23

I followed the Install Guide and you're right, it only says "smp". I think I followed the guide exactly so we'll see in a few days.

How much RAM is your client using? Mine is not using any...