Folding@Home: CF Official Discussion Thread

Buzz1927

Digaredd
Buzz--did a lightning strike take out your computer? :p. Thanks for keeping the team going, and hopefully you can get back up and running soon!)
Haha, no, just moved house and it's taken a while to get back online! Will be back folding later today :)

Jet

VIP Member
Haha, no, just moved house and it's taken a while to get back online! Will be back folding later today :)

Perfect! :D Just in time to cover up my slack while I am moving from my i7 860 to an i7 950 :). Hopefully that'll bring my 4Ghz clock up to more around 4.3ish; combined with hopefully some better memory bandwidth and hopefully more PPD--even bigadv potentially.

Last edited:

Jet

VIP Member
The good: X58 stuff has arrived. Right now the i7 950 is clocking at 4.3Ghz folding!

The bad: It takes 1.425V to do so....and, my 6GB of DDR3 arrived 1 stick DOA, the other two can't come close to stock speeds without BSODing.

So, time to RMA the ram and possibly switch out the i7 950 for a better batch of i7 920.

Buzz1927

Digaredd
The good: X58 stuff has arrived. Right now the i7 950 is clocking at 4.3Ghz folding!

The bad: It takes 1.425V to do so....and, my 6GB of DDR3 arrived 1 stick DOA, the other two can't come close to stock speeds without BSODing.

So, time to RMA the ram and possibly switch out the i7 950 for a better batch of i7 920.
Bummer, don't think the new clients give a huge bonus for overclocking, tho, haven't noticed a big increase from stock, I'll play around and check, tho! :)
On a brighter note, I just ordered a gtx460, should have it folding by Tuesday! :D

ScOuT

VIP Member
On a brighter note, I just ordered a gtx460, should have it folding by Tuesday! :D

Nice Buzz...:good:

I feel weird not Folding, not really sure how to explain it. I still have my Evga 780i motherboard. I have priced 3 x 9600 GSO cards and a cheap case, power supply, CPU to make a small farm when I move to America. My laptop can do everything I currently do with computers. Someday I will be back up and running! ;)

Jet

VIP Member
Bummer, don't think the new clients give a huge bonus for overclocking, tho, haven't noticed a big increase from stock, I'll play around and check, tho! :)

As far as PPD is concerned--I was running a bigadv at 4.2Ghz and was hitting around 40k PPD with both my GTS 250 (~6500 PPD) and the smp client...now, if I can only get the rig up running again!

G25r8cer

Is there any interest in another marathon yet?

I would be more than happy to run it like last time. I also have some goodies for prizes also;)

If anybody is interested in this please post and spread the word throughout the forum.

Here is an older marathon so you can see what it is.
http://www.computerforum.com/162833-november-folding-marathon.html

Absolutely people are interested. I think its great for the team! Jan or Feb isnt a bad idea either.

G25r8cer

^^ Sounds good to me. Im going to be parting out the rig around that time so Im going to have a few things to give away. Parting it out around tax time to get me a new car.

Jet

VIP Member
my silly motherboard doesn't like overclocking. I'll most likely be not folding for the next three weeks, but then I'll be back.

Jet

VIP Member
we should think about getting that event going. I'm back in the states, and working on finding a solid overclock right now--hopefully it'll be in the 4.3-4.4Ghz range :D. Looking forward to the PPD that'll put out with bigadvs!

Jet

VIP Member
memory went out on me--I thought it was going to happen all along, but when it wouldn't boot at stock I knew something was wrong! :p.

Should be up soon...and Buzz, keep putting out those bigadvs!

lucasbytegenius

Looks like one of my clients went down, it's not online according to TeamViewer.
Will fix it soon. Also there is a possibility of me dropping a Linux machine off over at my friend's house, so I may end up a a steady 3 clients :D

Buzz1927

Digaredd
memory went out on me--I thought it was going to happen all along, but when it wouldn't boot at stock I knew something was wrong! :p.

Should be up soon...and Buzz, keep putting out those bigadvs!
Yeah, could do with a little help here.. might have to to quit due to the hot weather, hopefully get some water cooling here soon.. :)

Jet

VIP Member
Well, it looks like I'll be up and running here in a bit. Got my memory in on Thursday, picked up some PVC from the store and made a res for the dual H50 loop. Made the mistake of installing it and then trying to bleed it--1/4" ID hoses are a pain to get the air out of! Last night took them out, got them bled (after shaking and lots of work), mounted it back in the case, and then my motherboard acted like it wasn't getting enough power to boot. Took everything apart, took out the CMOS battery, let it chill overnight and it's working again. Now, to get it back up to speed! I really want 4.2-4.3 out of it, but right now the motherboard likes to kick the memory timings to 8-8-8-19-1T instead of 8-8-8-24-2T when I change settings. At least my temperatures are down a bit (I think!) to ~61C at 4Ghz. (EDIT--my 920 is crazy--it can run 4Ghz at 1.2V, or 4.2Ghz at 1.265V! I'm having trouble getting past 4.2 for some reason, but now it's at 4.2Ghz and 62C while folding. Should be putting out decent PPD soon!)

(The res and pump will be in the case eventually)

photo-2.jpg

Last edited:

Ryan_Fpv

Been folding on and off the last few days and have gone from two hundred and something to 74th, doesn't seem like anyone else is folding, or at least they're all up in the top 25, rather boring without any competition. Is the computer forum done with folding?
F@H username "Spotty2010".

Jet

VIP Member
Most all are in the top 25. That's why we need new people to keep participating! We're going to do a giveaway soon, so that should help.