Folding@Home: CF Official Discussion Thread

wolfeking

banned
thanks to folding forums got it up and running fine. just needed a MS 2008 things in 32 bit version and it started working.
Untitled-88.jpg

wolfeking

banned
Really I have no issue with vista, other than the occasional little thing, like the 2008 redistributional for FAH. It fits me better than 7 does.

wolfeking

banned
well I am not smart enough to run them. It is good though. The version that can run in 2k is console only I think. And it works. but I messed it up. so yea.

Gooberman

I enjoy that the only time I notice i'm folding is when i'm playing a game but if i'm just watching netflix or youtube i can't tell

wolfeking

banned
are you folding on your GPU too? Because you can game and fold on the CPU just fine. It throttles CPU use during game though.

Gooberman

I don't want to fold on the GPU not much PPD and uses more power. I can play games fine while folding but I can just feel it being a bit slower

wolfeking

banned
I think it is in your head. I loose no FPS playing while folding.

And no much PPD. that comes from AMD graphics I think. BIONIC makes much better use of Raedon graphics than stanford does.

Gooberman

yeah so it's not worth folding on this GPU. I think i know why i set the priority higher than the default so my web browsing wouldn't kill the PPD lol :D

wolfeking

banned
It will not kill it anyway. I just run stock settings on it and get almost 30k per day on a 2600k. Could get more PPD if I ran linux on it.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I let my desktop fold on the CPU. It's usually on for 17 hours a day.

Hey Wolfe, what was the name of that other program similar to F@H you mentioned a while ago?

wolfeking

banned
BIONIC. http://boinc.berkeley.edu/

I don't use it as much now, as it was not playing nice with the OC (shot temps up more than F@H). Makes a great stress test program. PPD is horrible on it, but that is because the workunits are generally in the 500-1000 Gigaflop range.
Though I like its projects better than F@H though. Especially the SETI project.

FuryRosewood

Did Bionc for several years, cut back cus power bills, may start doing it again this winter, but im not sure :)

Would like to see what the GTX680 does for F@H on the GPU

Jet

VIP Member
It will not kill it anyway. I just run stock settings on it and get almost 30k per day on a 2600k. Could get more PPD if I ran linux on it.

How are you getting 30k per day? I thought that was only with -bigadv units that aren't out anymore. I'm at ~15-20k with regular SMP.

Fury, a GTX680 will get pretty high PPD--don't know exact numbers, but it should be in the 20,000 range.

wolfeking

banned
How are you getting 30k per day? I thought that was only with -bigadv units that aren't out anymore. I'm at ~15-20k with regular SMP.
not running big adv. Just running 4.8-5.0 GHz, depending on the ambient of the day. It really does make a great deal of difference with OCing.