Folding@Home: CF Official Discussion Thread

Bodaggit23

8. 47% of a bigadv WU trashed... :(

That always sucks. I've lost a couple just from the VM client corrupting the files.

Aww that sucks

Just got home from work to see 30% of a bigadv WU done

Getting 1200ppd with 1 client (only using 2 proc not 4)

Are you done with the A2 units yet? If not, don't run the -bigadv command next time you start the client.

Enter: ./fah 6 -smp 8

Then, when you're done with this huge work unit, it will load your A2 1920 units so you can get bonus points for the big units.

You need to complete ten A2 units (1920 points each) before running the -bigadv client to get bonus points.

EDIT: Oh, you have a Phenom? Nevermind.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
We're close to breakin into the the top 300. Nice work fellas. We're kickin ass. I'll try sort out my bigadv probs soon, and I'd like to recruit a couple more members running the i7. However, as Jet stated earlier in the thread, no matter your hardware configuration, you can run a suitable client and contribute. It's a team effort and every point counts. ;)

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_list.php?s=&p=3
page 3 number 236 : Cal Poly SLO
they only have one active folder and still is at almost 100k points per day... thats huge!

***EDIT***
there is one guy going lone wolf and getting 230k+ PPD

If I can get my setup sorted, and get some of the other i7 owners here folding the bigadv units, we can get into the top 200 in next year. We gotta get everyone folding. The only downside is the electricity bill. If someone couldn't take that hit, I'd understand. Other than that, I can't see any reason why we can't get everyone folding. When The GT300 chips arrive I may donate my GTX 260 to another marathon. :D

aviation_man

If I can get my setup sorted, and get some of the other i7 owners here folding the bigadv units, we can get into the top 200 in next year. We gotta get everyone folding. The only downside is the electricity bill. If someone couldn't take that hit, I'd understand. Other than that, I can't see any reason why we can't get everyone folding. When The GT300 chips arrive I may donate my GTX 260 to another marathon. :D

You're right.. I fold whenever my computer is on; and I don't notice a difference that it's folding at all...And I run big programs sometimes.

Jet

VIP Member
I hope to be up by the weekend--can't wait to ramp up, just had to stop folding while I'm moving back home for Christmas break :).

G25r8cer

That's fine if you're not using all your cores. :good:

Yeah this is why I just have the vm using 2 cores so, it leaves me with a heck of alot of cpu power.

Once I get a new gpu I will prob quit folding with my cpu as it only nets me 1200ppd. A 9800gt should get around 4 times that

cudenver

Yeah this is why I just have the vm using 2 cores so, it leaves me with a heck of alot of cpu power.

Once I get a new gpu I will prob quit folding with my cpu as it only nets me 1200ppd. A 9800gt should get around 4 times that

yea, I have been think about that too.
if a 9800gt can get around 4000. I think I could get one of them.
but then again maybe i will get another 275, my 275 get me about 8000 ppd now

G25r8cer

yea, I have been think about that too.
if a 9800gt can get around 4000. I think I could get one of them.
but then again maybe i will get another 275, my 275 get me about 8000 ppd now

Really for the price/performance you cant beat a couple of 9600gso's

Jet

VIP Member

Actually, the foundational principle of Folding@home is that it runs off of idle processes--so you can run it at 100% (using all of your cores), and you won't notice any slowdown. If you need more resources for normal everyday usage, it scales back instantly, allowing you to complete whatever you are doing without a performance hit.

Bodaggit23

Actually, the foundational principle of Folding@home is that it runs off of idle processes--so you can run it at 100% (using all of your cores), and you won't notice any slowdown. If you need more resources for normal everyday usage, it scales back instantly, allowing you to complete whatever you are doing without a performance hit.

This seems to be true for the CPU, but not for the GPU.

I opened BF 2142 in "Windowed" mode, which is much more process intensive than regular mode, and it was unplayable until I shut down my GPU client.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
This seems to be true for the CPU, but not for the GPU.

Yeah, you gotta shut down the GPU client when you run a game. Internet browsing and basic computer use isn't very CPU intensive, so that's why you can run your CPU at full throttle and still normally use your machine. If, however, you were encoding a video or something highly CPU intensive, you'd want to shutdown the VM to give your CPU enough headroom to complete the task.

Bodaggit23

I shut down the whole VM when I game because it doesn't release my RAM either. I can game with 1 Gig of RAM but I'd rather not. :D