Folding@Home on Core i7: Bonus points for 8 core Linux VMs

Bodaggit23

bomberboysk

Well, I'm going to buy a cheap 1Gig stick of DDR3 to get me through my RMA process, but I'd like some thoughts.

Should I get one that has good reviews, that's not on the supported memory list, or should I get one that's on the supported list but bad reviews?

Here's the two I'm looking at:

Not on the supported list:
Crucial 1GB DDR3 1066 $25.99

On the supported list:
Kingston 1GB DDR3 1066 $27.99

Supported Memory List
http://www.evga.com/support/motherboard/
Just a thought on it, but do you have something like a microcenter close locally? They have something like a 30 day return policy on memory if i remember right. The supported memory list is somewhat redundant, as they cannot test all memory in it and newegg reviews are also somewhat redundant as many people do not know what they are talking about. However, with that said i personally prefer crucial memory over kingston.

Bodaggit23

Sadly, I do not have a Microcenter nearby.

The supported memory list is somewhat redundant, as they cannot test all memory in it and newegg reviews are also somewhat redundant as many people do not know what they are talking about. However, with that said i personally prefer crucial memory over kingston.

Agreed on all points. Ordering the Crucial. Thanks for the input.

Jet

VIP Member
:( Sad to see your -bigadv VM stopped for the moment, but glad to hear the RMA is going well :).

Bodaggit23

Why does my pc crash whenever I try to run Everest?...

Do I need to change my BIOS to run Dual Channel stable?

Anyone?

Side note:
I can't believe I haven't heard back from Corsair yet about my RAM.

I contacted XFX about my 3 year old graphics card the same day, and it's already been shipped to XFX, and I'm waiting for confirmation from Corsair on my bad RAM that I purchased less than a year ago. They haven't even acknowledged my RMA application. XFX at least sent me an email stating they got my application...:confused:

EDIT: So I got my RMA from Corsair. I have to wait until Thursday to get my
1Gig temp stick of RAM, then I'll be sending my 6Gb kit in. :good:

Last edited:

Bodaggit23

Well, idk about the Everest issue either, but meh...

My "pacifier" stick of RAM is on it's way here and will be here tomorrow, so I can send off my Dominators.

Tomorrow I will start folding with only my GPU until my new sticks arrive.

Jet

VIP Member
I believe I have found the fix to VMmare's clock drifting. VMware syncs to the hardware clock upon startup, but then calculates the clock according to your proccesor's speed when you installed the program. However, if you overclock post-installation, it thinks the clock is going slower than it truly is, thus giving you really funky readings. We'll see just how slow my TPFs are now :p.

Bodaggit23

Not sure about the VM issues, but my computer sux with only 1Gig of RAM.
Browsing is fine but I can't even play Battlefield. :(

I get constant Hard Faults, so my Hard drive goes constantly and creates mega lag in game. I'm going to put another drive in and move the page file there and see if that helps. Supposedly it will allow faster access with the page file on a separate drive. We'll see.

Ready Boost = a joke. I'm using about 700Mb of RAM idle, and when I enable a 4Gig stick for Ready Boost, RAM usage goes UP to 850Mb...

UPS didn't pick up my RMA from work yesterday either, so my RAM gets to sit there until Monday at 4pm when they pick up again. :mad:

Jet

VIP Member
Now that I'm home from college, the bigadv uploads were cutting out our VoIP phone for 30 minutes a day :p. Since I was almost at the 2 day cutoff, I figured I'd stop it, overclock more, and then set it to upload in the 12am-6am range. Now I'm at 4.2Ghz, maybe more.

Bodaggit23

Amazing.

My tracking number for my RAM said it was delivered to Corsair yesterday at
9:36am and I hadn't heard anything back today, so I called them.

My new sticks will ship out tomorrow.

I would have expected some sort of process where the products are tested
first or something. Like my 3 year old XFX card. lol

I knew my sticks got delivered, but I guess the RMA dept. had yet to receive the info.?

The woman I talked to asked for my Tracking Number, and made sure they got delivered,
and after that, It was as though she didn't care if they worked or not, she said the part
number out loud and said "(under her breath "Yeah, we still have those"). "They will ship out tomorrow".

Absolutely outstanding customer service. I'll never buy another brand of memory again.

I'll be back to knocking down the big units again very soon. :good:

Bodaggit23

Got my new Dom's today and installed. They work good, but I'm try to fry them...I mean, trying some new overclocking and I got over 4Ghz but not stable, so...

Jet

VIP Member
ha--I was hoping to catch you before your ram came through, but I guess not :(. I moved back to Tech and had some cooling issues (the multi drops to 12X if the Vregs get too hot--which happens even with a 92mm at 5V. Right now I'm running it at 12V, but it's a bit loud. Gotta grab a 120mm from home sometime.

Bodaggit23

Can anyone tell me simply, can I raise just my QPI (BCLK)?

I'm back at 3.43Ghz but I'd like to get 3.8Ghz stable.

Is it safe to just bump it up?

EDIT:
My VM client is only using 2.3Ghz of my RAM......wth...

EDIT 2: It grabbed a 1920 unit.! Do I have to run ten 1920 units again?

Last edited:

Bodaggit23

Wonderful.

I got 43% through a -bidadv unit, when I restarted it after gaming for a bit, it disregarded my progress, and fetched a wimpy little 2165 point unit that's only using 50% of my cpu and 30% of my RAM...:(

Last edited:

Jet

VIP Member
Can anyone tell me simply, can I raise just my QPI (BCLK)?

I'm back at 3.43Ghz but I'd like to get 3.8Ghz stable.

Is it safe to just bump it up?

EDIT:
My VM client is only using 2.3Ghz of my RAM......wth...

EDIT 2: It grabbed a 1920 unit.! Do I have to run ten 1920 units again?

Wonderful.

I got 43% through a -bidadv unit, when I restarted it after gaming for a bit, it disregarded my progress, and fetched a wimpy little 2165 point unit that's only using 50% of my cpu and 30% of my RAM...:(

You sure you have your VM set so it has all the Ram allocated? That might be an issue.

As far as losing WUs, the only way I've ever been able to save one when shutting it down is to copy the VM data contents to a folder on my windows computer, and then copy them back into the VM data when I restart the VM (after login, before actually starting the backup).