Gaming PC `1400

Andrewlol

What about my other question? is it OK to put the stock heat sink with pre applied thermal paste on my processor which has some paste from my other heat sink on it?

Andrewlol

Actually there is a SATA cable that is part of the case. Is that the one i should be using for my CD/DVD drive or does it not matter?

Andrewlol

I hate to continue to bother you guys but there is no way i can do this on my own. So everything is connected and seems to be running. Do i go straight to installing Windows 7 or are there other things i need to do first? Like messing around in bios.

Do i need to worry about RAID or AHCI? Mobo manual mentions "As windows 7 and Vista already include Intel SATA RAID/AHCI driver, you do not need to install separate R/A driver during the Windows installation process. Does that mean its already taken care of?

Last edited:

wolfeking

banned
you can go strait into installing windows. If you want to use a RAID option (more than one HDD reading as one, like RAID 0,1,5,or 10) then you will need the F6 driver disk that came with the motherboard once you get to the partition screen.

wolfeking

banned
correct. Just be sure to only install the OS to the smallest (SSD) drive listed. I generally remove the data cables to the drives not being installed to to stop any mistakes on my part. But that is not necessary.

Andrewlol

Ok thanks. Currently looking at my bios. I see PCH SATA Control Mode and GSATA3 Control Mode. Which of the 2 should i be changing to AHCI?

StrangleHold

Staff member
You can set both to AHCI, But the PCH is the ones you will be running the drives off of, the most important. The GSATA are extra ports that run off a separate chip on the board (should be marked by a different color). The PCH are the main ports off the southbridge chip.

Last edited:

Andrewlol

Alright so i installed Windows 7/drivers and all that good stuff. now im downloading steam/games and such but the only drive i see is my 60gb ssd. How do i save to my HDD?

StrangleHold

Staff member
You have to go into Disk management and partition and format the drive before it will show up.

Start/Control Panel/Administrative tools/Computer Management. Then click on Disk Management, the drive will show up there.

Last edited:

Andrewlol

Is there a way to make the new drive the default drive so that i dont have to browse My Computer in order to download something?