Gaming pc build with GTX 1070

spirit

Staff member
I know, I know, It all comes down to how much I want to spend, But I don't want to pay 2x as much for 10% gain in gaming performance...
Yeah I saw your point, but you have to remember that the extra performance of the 1080 is worthwhile if you intend to keep the build for a long time because that extra performance will make a difference in a few years' time. But if you intend to change components quite regularly then the 1070 will be fine.

I still think you'd be better off with an i5 and a 1080 than an i7 and a 1070 if all you're interested in is gaming? Is gaming your main priority?

16GB RAM is fine, that's what to aim for now if you have the money.

@Punk I think $1mn is perfectly reasonable! ;)

Tim Burr

Yes a gaming rig for sure...... Ohhh ok give me the links to that build without the case, SDD, Hdd, keyboard, mouse and monitor!

No hurry, for it, the GTX 1080 and 1070 is sold out.....

spirit

Staff member
OK so all of the 1080s are out of stock on Newegg at the moment. That's annoying but expected I guess, people have been rushing to buy this card.

Here's the list with the i5 and the 1080:

i5 6600K: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117561&ignorebbr=1
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128838&ignorebbr=1
RipJaws 16GB DDR4 2400: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231888&ignorebbr=1
EVGA GTX 1080 8GB: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487246
Corsair RM650X: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139143&ignorebbr=1

You will get good performance from this setup with a 1070 or an i7 with a 1070 and it will be great, don't get me wrong. The 1080 will just be better. We're already starting to see high-end cards from a few generations ago like the GTX 680 and Radeon HD 7970 struggle to play the newest titles maxxed out at 1080p, let alone the resolution you've got. The 1080 will play the games better for longer especially at your resolution.

Laquer Head

I would agree with others, spend the extra money and go with a gtx1080, grab the i5 6600K so you can overclock, and 16-32GB ddr4 ram, the psu that @spirit mentioned is excellent, I use one myself and its perfect.

Tim Burr

Ohhh I don't over clock, to busy with work to learn it hahaha

I mean is it really that much better to over clock it?

Laquer Head

If you did, however, decided you want to go to an X99 setup, you can step into a 6800K 6-core, MSI x99 board, and 16GB ddr4 for about $800. Still grab the gtx1080 and you've got a next step up, and more robust system.

spirit

Staff member
Very nice, and about $1,200 seems good to me!! As soon as the 1080 is in stock I will place my order!!

Thanks!!
No worries! You'll have a nice setup there!

I would agree with others, spend the extra money and go with a gtx1080, grab the i5 6600K so you can overclock, and 16-32GB ddr4 ram, the psu that @spirit mentioned is excellent, I use one myself and its perfect.
I used the original version (RM 650) in a build I did last year and it was great!

Laquer Head

Ohhh I don't over clock, to busy with work to learn it hahaha

I mean is it really that much better to over clock it?

Yes, Overclocking is easy, and better cause your essentially squeezing out free power... just get a decent cooler, even like a 212 evo for $30 and it just makes sense

Tim Burr

Huh??? My head hurts lol What are you suggesting Laquer Head?

Spirit, does that CPU come with a cooler?

Laquer Head

My head hurts a bit too cause this thread is bouncing all over the place.

You said money wasn't an issue, so I proposed an Intel X99 chipset based system over the Z170 based system.

Gets you a 6-core, unlocked CPU, still retains DDR4 RAM, and will be well suited for a GTX 1080 gpu.

Even if you don't over clock right away, you have that option down the road if you choose a K series processor.

All you need is a decent cooler, a 212 EVO is cheap but we'll regarded, or you can spend $80 for a water cooler from Corsair, for example

Tim Burr

Ohh sorry for my lack of understanding of the latest and greatest, 5 years ago I was a pro with all of this stuff hahah

Can you please give me links to what you recommend preferable on Newegg, I always order from them.

I like the best deal with good performance!

Tim Burr

And what PSU would you recommend for that hardware?

How much better would you think that rig will run games compared to the rig that Spirit suggested, with a GTX 1080?

My budget is open but as I said, I don't want to pay allot more for only a 10% increase in performance.

Thank you all so much for your help!!

Laquer Head

The RM650X he mentioned would be a perfect power supply. I'm biased when it comes to Corsair power supplies though././:)

The build @spirit mentioned is No Joke though, and more affordable!

As for performance gain, I'm not a technical guy in regards to performance percentages so I'd rely on another member to break down actual specs.. sorry on that

Tim Burr

Ohhh it's all good my friend, I will order when the GTX 1080 is in stock again at new egg.

Thank you for your help,! I'm completely lost with all the new hardware...

Laquer Head

Ohhh it's all good my friend, I will order when the GTX 1080 is in stock again at new egg.

Thank you for your help,! I'm completely lost with all the new hardware...

Super easy, as far as Intel goes, for gamers/enthusiasts your looking at a motherboard with either a Z170 chipset (mid-range/gaming) or an X99 chipset (high end/enthusiats/gaming/overclocking)

Pretty much picking either a 6th gen i5 or a 6th gen i7 processor (K-series are unlocked for overclocking)

the CPU sockets are basically socket 1151 (Z170 motherboard (ex. i7 6700K) or socket 2011 -v3 (X99 motherboard (ex. i7 6800K)