Gaming pc build with GTX 1070

spirit

Staff member
If you can afford the hex-core X99 setup and you think you'd benefit from it now or long-term then go for it.

But if you want the absolute best affordability and value for money then you just can't beat the Z170 setup with the i5 6600K.

The i5 will come with a cooler but I don't think the i7s for the X99/Socket 2011-v3 socket do.

Intel_man

VIP Member
I swear mine did, cause otherwise I'm not remembering where I got the stocker fan for my backup rig,.
The stock coolers started to disappear in "k" series processors on the Haswell stuff (LGA2011-v3) and the skylake stuff (LGA1151).

Intel finally realized no one uses their crappy cooler on the overclocking processors.

Laquer Head

The stock coolers started to disappear in "k" series processors on the Haswell stuff (LGA2011-v3) and the skylake stuff (LGA1151).

Intel finally realized no one uses their crappy cooler on the overclocking processors.

*hangs head in shame*...

*realizes the source*.....

*no longer cares*.......

Reactions: C4C

Tim Burr

If you can afford the hex-core X99 setup and you think you'd benefit from it now or long-term then go for it.

But if you want the absolute best affordability and value for money then you just can't beat the Z170 setup with the i5 6600K.

The i5 will come with a cooler but I don't think the i7s for the X99/Socket 2011-v3 socket do.

After checking many benchmarks and videos, I think the hardware you picked will do me well. The hex-core X99 setup showed no improvement for gaming that I could find.

I did see the i5-6600k(at stock) run some games at 10-20 FPS slower than the i7-6700k and since I don't plan on over clocking(for now) I think I will go with the i7-6700k with the 212 evo cooler that Laquer head posted.

I use windows 7. I tried windows 8 and hated it... I have not tried windows 10 yet, but is there any benefits with win 10 for new games?

spirit

Staff member
If you go with the 6600K you really want to be using Windows 10. I heard that Windows 7 will stop working on Skylake (so all of the Intel 6xxx processors) after 2018 or something. The 6600K setup will serve you very well with the GTX 1080. Good decision!

Tim Burr

Thanks for all of your help! Not sure if you missed it, But I will go with the 6700K... Now I'm just waiting for the GTX 1080 to be in stock. My last 2 video cards have been Zotac, and all I had to do was remove a couple screw and the fan assemble rotates up to clean them, Very good and nice.... But I wonder what the pros would recommend?

I have checked out reviews with win 10 and I don't like what I see hahaha As long as the games I play have good FPS with win 7, there is no problem with it right? Ya, One day I will learn to over clock and upgrade my OS... (I travel for my job and just want plug and play with what I know, for now)

Also, I'm using a micro ATX case now, and realized that my old ATX case does not have USB 3 on it, so I need a new case too. I can not see my case, It sits behind my big monitor so I really don't care how it looks, Do you guys have a recommendation for a cheap good case with usb 3?

Intel_man

VIP Member
Windows 10 is getting a big update in July. I wouldn't bother with Windows 7 at this point in time. It's losing support within a few years.

spirit

Staff member
Windows 10 is the way to go. Pretty much anything that works on 7 has worked fine on 10 for me. Windows 7 is now 7 years old, time to move on!

Reactions: C4C

Tim Burr

Hey, thanks guys for your advice.. Forgive me I travel for my job and I'm away more than I'm home, It's why I just want plug and play.

WOW, the GTX 1080 is still out of stock! Super lame hahaha What model GTX 1080 would you pros recommend? As I said, I have had great luck with Zotac, never a problem, and very easy clean the fans, just remove a couple screws and the fan assemble rotates up for super easy cleaning!... I like it.

After I got the 2650x1080 Samsung monitor I stopped gaming with the new stuff, because I can't stand lag..... So I'm very excited to upgrade my rig!

Laquer Head

I got the MSI Gaming GTX1080 .. its incredible.

I'm hearing good reviews on EVGA, as usual and the ASUS STRIX looks amazing!!

Laquer Head

That moment when your all stoked to pwn noobs in gamez and get your SLI gtx1080 setup and HB bridge installed...and realize your forth gen i5 has 16 pcie lanes and your matx case traps heat like a whore..

Origin Saint

What model GTX 1080 would you pros recommend?
EVGA. Full stop. Insane customer service, nice & stable factory overclocks if you're into that, good solid backplates, and nothing gets wasted on bells and whistles you won't need.

They've got SC and FTW + regular stuff. FTW is their top-of-the-line factory OC, SC is fairly mainstream.