gateway t1620

hoangnguyen86vn

Hi,
I have a Gateway t1620 laptop, purchased yesterday at Best Buy, which came with Vista preloaded. I played around with it a lot yesterday, but I came to the conclusion that Vista just isn't solid enough for my needs yet (though the eye candy is definitely cool!).

So I want to go back to XP Pro, but I can't find the right XP drivers for many of the devices, as Gateway seems to only support Vista for their new models. Argh.
I need drivers for video driver, my modem, sound card, ethernet, and wifi controllers. There's an integrated media card reader that would be nice to get working, too...

Does anybody have ideas on how I could track these down, given the lack of drivers on the Gateway website?
Detail Description:
• AMD Turion™ 64 X2 mobile technology TL-56* for AMD dual-core technology in a thin-and-light design; HyperTransport™ and AMD PowerNow!™ technologies and improved security with Enhanced Virus Protection**
• 2GB DDR2 memory for multitasking power
• Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media; supports Labelflash direct-disc labels using compatible Labelflash media; also supports DVD-RAM
• AMD dual-core technology enables you to work or play with multiple programs without impacting performance; AMD64 technology provides simultaneous support for 32-bit and 64-bit computing
• 14.1" WXGA TFT-LCD widescreen display with Ultrabright technology and 1280 x 800 resolution
• 250GB SATA hard drive (5400 rpm)
• ATI RADEON X1270 graphics with up to 256MB HyperMemory (total of local and shared memory used by GPU); high-definition audio (2-speaker support); HDMI connection
• Metal Razr-style multimedia control panel provides easy access to and control of multimedia and other applications
• Built-in 1.3-megapixel Web cam lets you chat with friends and family
• 5-in-1 media reader supports Secure Digital, MultiMediaCard, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO and xD-Picture Card
• 3 high-speed USB 2.0 ports for fast digital video, audio and data transfer
• Built-in high-speed wireless LAN (802.11b/g); 10/100 Mbps Ethernet LAN with RJ-45 connector; V.92 high-speed modem
• Weighs 5.6 lbs. and measures just 1.3" thin for easy portability; lithium-ion battery and AC adapte

shadowbt

I think on the site of the parts you need drivers for ( ATI technology, AMD, etc.. ) you should eb abel to get the drivers

Diabase

gateway t1620, XP and Ubuntu

I also bought a Gateway t1620 from Best Buy and also have dumped Windows Vista.

I first installed XP Pro slipstreamed with service pack 2 on one half of the drive, then installed Ubuntu 7.10 on the other half, so that the system would dual boot with grub (thanks to Ubuntu.)

Even with service pack 2, XP failed to install any quality drivers, so no sound, no network, and bad graphics. Ubuntu was able to install Ethernet drivers and an ATI graphics driver, but no sound yet.

The Gateway site only had a modem driver. It had the wrong Ethernet driver for XP. The correct Ethernet driver is at http://www.softwarepatch.com/utilities/realtek-rtl8100.html .

With the correct Ethernet driver, I was able to run Windows Update and get updated Realtek RTL8139/810x Ethernet, Realtek RTL8187B wireless, the Agere modem driver, and some other systems.

Today I spent a long time looking for a ATI Radeon x1270 XP driver. I didn't have any luck on the AMD/ATI support site. The ATI site is almost as bad as the Gateway website for XP support. I finally found a solution at the Dell website. The Dell Latitude D531 uses the ATI Radeon x1270 so I downloaded the drivers from their support site and installed them on my machine at C:\dell

I had to run the Windows Hardware installation applet and point it to the inf file in the dell directory, while assuring the application that the driver was correct for the hardware. The result was wonderful! It now seems to look better than the Vista did!

Next thing I'm looking for is the SigmaTel STAC9205 sound driver, see if I can find any motherboard drivers, and also any other drivers I can find. I have I feeling I may find some of them on the Dell Latitude D531 site too.

Please let me know if you've found anything else. I'll post whatever else that I find.

Ataxe

Huh?

:confused:Hey, I have been working on it for a while and, I just wanted to know if you Diabase could explain how to do the video thing. how you put it at frst didnt make since.:confused:

you could post or email me at [email protected]

THX SO MUCH IF U GET THIS

topher

any luck finding the rest diabase? im not too computer savvy so i think ill wait till all the drivers are found to begin downgrading to xp.

thanks

Diabase

I don't want to lead anyone to believe that it is easy to switch a gateway t1620 from Vista to XP. The very first thing that I did before attempting the conversion was to figure out a way to dump an image of the drive to a safe place on another computer. I experimented with a few free programs and was finally able to do a fairly reasonable job using boot disk of Clonezilla and it's capability to dump to a SAMBA server. For a SAMBA server I just shared a directory on another XP computer hooked to the same Ethernet network. The compressed image files for both partitions from the gateway t1620 took about 9.34 GB of space. I tried remounting the partitions, and after the system ran an error repair routine, Vista seemed to run fine again. It wasn't a perfect job but it worked.

I really wish ReactOS was at its stable distribution stage so that I could just get away from Microsoft products all together. Ubuntu works great, but its still Linux, and so it takes work to get games to and other things made for windows to run correctly. I hope ReactOS solves that problem.

But back to installing XP drivers.
One of the driver sets that I found for AMD Radeon Xpress 1270 is at:

http://support.dell.com/support/dow...-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=6&fileid=223212 (thank you dell!)

Download and run the exe file to expand and begin the installation. For me, the installation stopped saying that I didn't have the correct hardware. Then I ran the Add Hardware applet in the Windows Control Panel, didn't let it look for the hardware, just pointed it to the driver file directory.
In other words (show all Devices)(Have Disk) "C:\dell\drivers\R163694\Driver\2KXP_INF"
CX_52348.inf

The system then complained that it couldn't be certain that I had the hardware that I was trying to install, so I just told it to go ahead anyway. As I said before, the result was wonderful.

Again, this is not a simple task. I think that topher is smart in hesitating and waiting for more information to get posted. On the other hand, I have learned much of what I know about computers and operating systems from taking risks. It all depends on how much time and resources you have to play with. This gateway laptop is one of four fairly new systems I currently have, so the risk in negligible to me. Even with the negligible risk, I still attempted to back up the partition before proceeding.

At any rate, I welcome anyone new to this business of taking control of their computers, and encourage you to keep learning about your machines.

I'm still trying to install drivers for the SigmaTel STAC9205 sound card. I had better luck searching for "STAC 9205" than for STAC9205. I found drivers for "SIGMATEL STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio Driver" in a few places but they didn't work. I hoping some gallant individual who has solved this piece of the puzzle takes the time to post the answer.

diroga

yay good job Diabase! have a cookie

cookie.gif

topher

thanks for the prompt and thorough response diabase.

my situation is that i bought this laptop with the intention of dedicating it to a specific dj software. the program runs ok on vista, however, it is recommended that you use xp because it has the ability to run at a lower latency level. now ive cleared out all the bloatware by reformatting with a fresh install of vista and reinstalled all the drivers. the only thing i plan on running on this laptop is this program so i optimized the system by turning off unnecessary services and visual effects. but even with these changes, there are a couple issues with the software that i can only blame on vista.

i would start to attempt downgrading right now, but im using it for a gig this weekend and i wouldnt want to risk not having everything stable.

i do plan on doing it eventually when im not so pressed for time, so i thank you for all the info youve been putting up. im trying to understand everything youve done so far, but im sure ill have some question when i finally attempt it. im sure many people are attempting to do this at this point so i hope that some sort of definitive guide will pop up in the future (wishful thinking? probably)

Ataxe

Sry, but when i got to C: dell you know the rest, and click open on the CX file, it will show nothing under model.:eek:

Also, it wont let me hit next

araujo3000

anyone has found the sound card driver?
i also installed XP but my machine still has these missing drivers:
a) audio device high definition audio bus
b) video VGA
c) and three others unknown devices

please anyone can help me finding these drivers ... please...

i did what was suggested in earlier postings but I still have these drivers missing... any help? please!

araujo3000

hi diabase! pls were you able to find the sound driver? any help is much appreciated. i downgraded the system, spent 2 days on the internet and couldnt find it. i'm very lost... thnks!

Diabase

Sorry, no sound driver yet, but I'm in the middle of studing for Calculus finals, so I haven't spent a lot of time yet on it.

Would someone who still has Vista intalled please post a list of what that operating system says are the non-microsoft drivers on gateway t1620? It's geting to the point where I'm doubting the formal documentation of the hardware, so if no one posts a list, I'll dump images of what I've done so far, and remount the old Vista image I stored just to make sure I'm looking for the right stuff.

Thanks

n3rd911

hi, i think i have the exact same problem, i cant find the drives. it would be really helpfull if someone can list all the drivers needed, where to find them, and how to install them. thx in advance.

Last edited:

araujo3000

Hi Diabase! thanks much 4 your reply. good luck in your calculus!
I have another gateway t1620 with windows vista. if you tell me how to do it I can list all the drivers. I will wait 4 your instructions!

Diabase

araujo3000:

From a comand prompt, (start>run>cmd>ok), type driverquery, then right click, select all, right click again, and then paste the results into your message.

For example, here's the command run in XP SP2 on my gateway t1620 using the signed driver information switch. (I still have 3 unknown devices and no working sound card.)

C:\>driverquery /SI

DeviceName InfName IsSigned Manufacturer
============================== ============= ======== ====================
ACPI Multiprocessor PC hal.inf TRUE (Standard computers)
Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Syste acpi.inf TRUE Microsoft
AMD K8 Processor oem14.inf TRUE Advanced Micro Devic
AMD K8 Processor oem14.inf TRUE Advanced Micro Devic
ACPI Power Button machine.inf TRUE (Standard system dev
ACPI Sleep Button machine.inf TRUE (Standard system dev
ACPI Lid machine.inf TRUE (Standard system dev
PCI bus machine.inf TRUE (Standard system dev
PCI standard host CPU bridge machine.inf TRUE (Standard system dev
PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge machine.inf TRUE (Standard system dev
ATI Radeon X1270 oem11.inf TRUE ATI Technologies Inc
Default Monitor monitor.inf TRUE (Standard monitor ty
Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for H hdaudbus.inf FALSE Microsoft
ATI Function Driver for High D oem7.inf TRUE ATI
Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fa oem0.inf TRUE Realtek Semiconducto
Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE mshdc.inf TRUE (Standard IDE ATA/AT
Primary IDE Channel mshdc.inf TRUE (Standard IDE ATA/AT
Disk drive disk.inf TRUE (Standard disk drive
Secondary IDE Channel mshdc.inf TRUE (Standard IDE ATA/AT
Standard OpenHCD USB Host Cont usbport.inf TRUE (Standard USB Host C
USB Root Hub usbport.inf TRUE (Standard USB Host C
Standard Enhanced PCI to USB H usbport.inf TRUE (Standard USB Host C
USB Composite Device usb.inf TRUE (Standard USB Host C
USB Video Device usbvideo.inf TRUE Microsoft
Realtek RTL8187B Wireless 802. oem8.inf TRUE Realtek Semiconducto
USB Mass Storage Device usbstor.inf TRUE Compatible USB stora
Disk drive disk.inf TRUE (Standard disk drive
Generic volume volume.inf TRUE Microsoft
ATI SMBus oem18.inf TRUE ATI Technologies Inc
Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE mshdc.inf TRUE (Standard IDE ATA/AT
Primary IDE Channel mshdc.inf TRUE (Standard IDE ATA/AT
CD-ROM Drive cdrom.inf TRUE (Standard CD-ROM dri
Secondary IDE Channel mshdc.inf TRUE (Standard IDE ATA/AT
Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for H hdaudbus.inf FALSE Microsoft
SigmaTel High Definition Audio oem13.inf TRUE SigmaTel
Agere Systems HDA Modem oem6.inf TRUE Agere
PCI standard ISA bridge machine.inf TRUE (Standard system dev
ISAPNP Read Data Port machine.inf TRUE (Standard system dev
Direct memory access controlle machine.inf TRUE (Standard system dev
Numeric data processor machine.inf TRUE (Standard system dev
Programmable interrupt control machine.inf TRUE (Standard system dev
System CMOS/real time clock machine.inf TRUE (Standard system dev
System speaker machine.inf TRUE (Standard system dev
System timer machine.inf TRUE (Standard system dev
Standard 101/102-Key or Micros keyboard.inf TRUE (Standard keyboards)
Kensington PS/2 Mouse Driver oem10.inf TRUE Kensington Technolog
Motherboard resources machine.inf TRUE (Standard system dev
System board machine.inf TRUE (Standard system dev
Microsoft AC Adapter battery.inf TRUE Microsoft
Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Contr battery.inf TRUE Microsoft
Motherboard resources machine.inf TRUE (Standard system dev
Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Embed acpi.inf TRUE Microsoft