gateway t1620

bunnywinkles

sorry for messed up links... i swear i put them in right, PM me for what you need then or ask me for my yahoo IM name, i dont feel good putting it on a public forum but ill give it to whoever needs help, again sorry for bad links, im on ubuntu right now getting this up and running. My XP is all fine though, no errors, audio working, video working, everythings all nice and fine. again PM me for help since i cant seem to be good at posting links on forums

Resolver1

sorry for messed up links... i swear i put them in right, PM me for what you need then or ask me for my yahoo IM name, i dont feel good putting it on a public forum but ill give it to whoever needs help, again sorry for bad links, im on ubuntu right now getting this up and running. My XP is all fine though, no errors, audio working, video working, everythings all nice and fine. again PM me for help since i cant seem to be good at posting links on forums
I don't see any pm buttons, but tell me if you got the top buttons working and the touch volume adjuster.

Diabase

bunnywinkles
Thank you for the Omega Drivers link. I'm in the process of doing a clean install of XP pro,and I noticed that the video driver instalation I'd done before wasn't very clean, so I was looking for another solution. Yours worked perfectly!

Thank you!

Resolver1

bunnywinkles
Thank you for the Omega Drivers link. I'm in the process of doing a clean install of XP pro,and I noticed that the video driver instalation I'd done before wasn't very clean, so I was looking for another solution. Yours worked perfectly!

Thank you!

Giving credit to the wrong person, and I'll as you the same question, have you found a way to get the top buttons working.

Diabase

Giving credit to the wrong person, and I'll as you the same question, have you found a way to get the top buttons working.

I apologize Resolver1, Thank you for this solution. It was the perfect fix!

The only thing I've found to fix the "other" entries for the was using Driver Magician to export the devices from Vista, and then import them back into XP pro. Unfortunatly, while this solution removed the yellow "other" entries from the Device Manager, and put the correct Direct Application Launch Buttons entries in the system section, this still did not add any functionality to the buttons themselves. In Vista these buttons control the Windows Media Center which I do not have installed in XP. In Vista, pressing these buttons starts ehmsas.exe, ehshell.exe, and ehtray, all parts of Media Center. Reading the Vista "driver" file (2 registry files and a cmd script) it looks like these buttons should run Media Player when Media Center is absent. (I think I need to do more research about Media Player command line switches to get this to work.)

I completed my full reinstall of XP pro to test all the drivers and everthing seems to be working accept the media buttons and the Digital Mic (next to the camera.)

I first I downloaded the following divers to my USB drive and installed them in this order. Here is the method I suggest:

01 .NET Framework
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/netframework/aa731542.aspx
(because XP pro sp 2 doesn't have this and some drivers require it.) Save file into a directory on your USB stick named "01 dot Net Framework"

02 AMD Turion
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_14098,00.html
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/utilities/setup.zip extract zip file and save contents into a directory on your zip drive named "02 AMD Turion"
AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology Driver Version 1.3.2.0053 for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 (x86 and x64) - Allows the system to automatically adjust the CPU speed, voltage and power combination to match the instantaneous user performance need. This package is a user friendly localized software installation of the driver designed for end-users. This driver supports AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Mobile Technology on Windows XP SP2 and Windows Server 2003 SP2 x86 and x64 Editions.

03 ATI SMBus
http://ftp.us.dell.com/chipset/R134875.EXE save file on your USB stick in a directory named "03 ATI SMBus"

04 AMD Dual-Core Optimizer
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/utilities/Setup.exe
Save file into a directory on your USB stick called "04 AMD Dual-Core Optimizer"
AMD Dual-Core Optimizer - The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer can help improve some PC gaming video performance by compensating for those applications that bypass the Windows API for timing by directly using the RDTSC (Read Time Stamp Counter) instruction. Applications that rely on RDTSC do not benefit from the logic in the operating system to properly account for the affect of power management mechanisms on the rate at which a processor core's Time Stamp Counter (TSC) is incremented. The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer helps to correct the resulting video performance effects or other incorrect timing effects that these applications may experience on dual-core processor systems, by periodically adjusting the core time-stamp-counters, so that they are synchronized.

05 VIDEO
Radeon Omega Driver 4.8.442
http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=Files&go=cat&dwn_cat_id=14
(Thanks Resolver1 !) Download ati_omega_xp2k_48442.exe and save it onto your usb stick in a directory called "05 VIDEO"

06 NETWORK
ftp://210.51.181.211/cn/nic/rtlsetup-pcie(664).zip Unzip and save the directory onto you USB stick as "06 NETWORK".

07 SOUNDCARD
http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/getFile.asp?id=21374&dscr=SigmaTel Audio DriverVersion: 5.10.5185.0
ftp://ftp.gateway.com/pub/hardware_support/drivers/win_xp/sound/integrated/D00758-001-001.exe Run the file then copy C:\cabs\D00758-001-001\ onto the UDB stick and rename it "07 SOUNDCARD"

08 buttons(hotstart)vista
ftp://ftp.gateway.com/pub/hardware_support/drivers/win_vista/misc/A20381-001-001.exe Run the file then copy C:\cabs\A20381-001-001\ onto the UDB stick and rename it "08 buttons"
(This is an incomplete fix for the media buttons.)

09 TOUCHPAD
http://drivers.synaptics.com/Synaptics_Driver_v10_1_8_XP32.exe Download and save the file into your USB stick in a directory named "09 TOUCHPAD"

10 CARDREADER
ftp://ftp.gateway.com/pub/hardware_support/drivers/win_xp/portable/mx3000/D00620-001-001.exe Run the file then copy C:\cabs\D00620-001-001\ onto the UDB stick and rename it "10 CARDREADER"

11 WEBCAM
ftp://ftp.gateway.com/pub/hardware_support/drivers/win_vista/webcam/D20189-001-002.exe Run the file then copy C:\cabs\D20189-001-002.exe\ onto the UDB stick and rename it "11 WEBCAM"

12 MODEM
ftp://ftp.gateway.com/pub/hardware_support/drivers/win_xp/portable/mx3000/D00670-001-001.exe Run the file then copy C:\cabs\D00670-001-001.exe\ onto the UDB stick and rename it "12 MODEM"

I then installed XP pro with sp2 slipstreamed onto my Gateway t1620.
I installed each of the divers in the order I listed above.
Most of the Gateway cab directories have setup.exe files. Here are a list of the executables in each directory:

01 run dotnetfx.exe
02 run setup.exe
03 run R134875.EXE
04 run Setup.exe
05 run ati_omega_xp2k_48442.exe
06 run setup.exe
07 run setup.exe
08 run Hotstart.cmd
09 run Synaptics_Driver_v10_1_8_XP32.exe
10 run setup.exe
11 run setup.exe
12 run setup.exe

I then connected the Gateway t1620 to an ethernet cord to my LAN and ran Windows Update in custom mode so that I could select all of the hardware driver updates that it found. Windows Update has all of the WiFi drivers. I ran Windows Update repeatedly until it didn't find any more drivers or other updates. I was able to then install my digital voice recorder software without any device driver problems.
After that I installed the free version of AVG anti-virus and antispyware to satisfy the Windows Security Center.

I hope this all helps and makes some sense. This process produced good results for me.

The XP system runs a lot better than the Vista system! I saved the whole new instalation to another image using Clonezilla, and remounted Vista to checkup on how the digital microphone is hooked up. (I noticed that originally the camera software had not worked in Vista.) The t1620 with Vista installed is so slow and cluncky compaired to the t1620 with XP installed!

I will continue to work on getting the built-in digital microphone working and to get the media buttons to connect to something, but outside of that I now have a more functional operating system with XP than with Vista.

Thanks everyone for all of your research!

Last edited:

Resolver1

CPU stuff will come in handy, thanks for that Diabase. Also I haven't seen that much of an improvement over Vista, and for some reason I kind of miss Vista. Thief Deadly Shadows still runs like crap, iTunes won't launch at all, PS1 emulator has to be manually assigned to 1 CPU every time (something I didn't have to do before), and also Windows Update didn't find any Wireless drivers so I had install them manually.
Thanks for all the extra stuff.

topher

can anyone else confirm the problem with itunes?

that would be a deal breaker for me as I use it a lot for arranging my music for my dj program.

Resolver1

can anyone else confirm the problem with itunes?

that would be a deal breaker for me as I use it a lot for arranging my music for my dj program.
A lot of people on the internet sure can especially if you search "itunes won't launch". There are various tutorials, but some of them are way too long or just don't work. I'm still trying to figure it out , cause you can see it working in the task manager, but it won't launch the gui.

Diabase

CPU stuff will come in handy, thanks for that Diabase. Also I haven't seen that much of an improvement over Vista, and for some reason I kind of miss Vista. Thief Deadly Shadows still runs like crap, iTunes won't launch at all, PS1 emulator has to be manually assigned to 1 CPU every time (something I didn't have to do before), and also Windows Update didn't find any Wireless drivers so I had install them manually.
Thanks for all the extra stuff.

Sorry your missing Vista. That's one of the reasons that I've recommended using software like Clonezilla. I hope you have a copy that you can roll your system back to. I'm not surprised that Thief Deadly Shadows doesn't run well because the video card in the Gateway t1620 system isn't very good.

Here is a list of all of the Microsoft Updates available to me following installation of XP pro Sp2 and drivers 1/13/2008 by selecting the Custom option:

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.1 Service Pack 1 (KB928366)
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 1 (KB929300)
Update for .NET Framework 3.0: x86 (KB932471)
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 1 (KB929300)
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1
Agere - Modems - Agere Systems HDA Modem
Update for .NET Framework 3.0: x86 (KB932471)
Realtek Semiconductor Corp. - Networking - Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
Realtek Semiconductor Corp. - Networking - Realtek RTL8187B Wireless 802.11b/g 54Mbps USB 2.0 Network Adapter
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 (KB110806)
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0: x86 (KB928416)
Root Certificates Update
ATI - Sound - ATI Function Driver for High Definition Audio - ATI 791A
Agere Systems - Modems - Agere Systems HDA Modem
Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.1
Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB943460)
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - January 2008 (KB890830)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB937894)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB933729)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB936021)
Update for Windows XP (KB938828)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB941644)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB921503)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB938829)
Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 6.0 and Microsoft XML Core Services 6.0 Service Pack 1 (KB933579)
Update for Windows XP (KB942763)
Security Update for Windows XP with Windows Media Format Runtime 9.5 and 11 (KB941569)
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 2.0 (KB928365)
Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB942615)
Security Update for Outlook Express for Windows XP (KB941202)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB941568)
Update for Windows Media Player 11 for Windows XP (KB939683)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB943485)
Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB938127)
Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181)
Windows Genuine Advantage Notification (KB905474)
Security Update for Windows Media Player 11 for Windows XP (KB936782)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB944653)

Ever since I first bought my Gateway t1620 I've taken complete hard drive images before I've made any significant change. Yesterday I turned back time to the original image I took 11/24/07 right after I bought the machine so that I could look again at how the hardware was configured. Today I loaded an cleaned-up image of Vista I created 12/14/07 having removed all the bundle-ware and tease-ware, and having turned off all the fancy Vista animation. Even the cleaned-up version loads slower (1 min,20sec boot) than my latest XP pro installation (1 minute boot).

I found some documentation of general performance issues for Vista on Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Windows_Vista. The section on performance begins with the statement "Windows Vista executes typical applications slower than Windows XP, for the same hardware configuration." Vista has not seen it's first service pack yet so maybe the system will improve with time. People will come up with ways to deal with Vista's shortcomings dealing with privacy, security, and performance. Until then I will save my Vista images, but continue to use XP for now.

I remember back when I first used Windows 3.1. how much slower Windows programs ran than DOS programs. Less than megabyte of RAM just wasn't enough for Windows; I needed 4 megabytes!

For my uses, the Gateway T1620 is a low end laptop and is not a significant enough hardware upgrade to allow for all the system overhead of the new Vista operating system. I admit, Vista is very pretty, but I thought the same about Window 3.1. In both cases with the hardware I've had, I've chosen to have an operating system that is functional rather than pretty. In the case of the T1620, I'm using it as a mobile system that I can open up and work on quickly when away from home. I didn't by a new laptop to get a new operating system, I did it to get a system that was a little bit faster and have a lot more hard drive space.

On the other hand, if I wanted to turn this laptop into a gaming machine, I'd do what I did with my old 2001 workstation by making a hardware profile that only loads what I need for games. The game hardware profile that I created had all networking hardware and services turned off and all security software and services shut down. With the hardware profile startup feature enabled I had a choice to run the machine in gaming mode, to select the normal profile, or use another hardware profiles for other specific purposes. Unfortunately, the "Hardware profiles" startup feature has been removed in Vista. To do this sort of thing you would have to use XP.

Last edited:

Diabase

The buttons work! At least part way. Following all the directions I posted 01-14-2008 at 08:31 PM does not get rid of the "other" entries, but once the Media Player is set up, and and music is started, the media buttons can stop, backup, and change tracks. The mute button works all the time so is handy when browsing to a site with annoying theme music, squelching a program's theme music, or just temporally turning of the Windows sounds. The left "music" button doesn't appear to do anything yet, and the DVD button doesn't do anything even with a DVD disk installed. I don't have any DVD codec to play DVDs yet so when doing more research I found this page concerning media buttons on Dell notebooks: http://forum.notebookreview.com/archive/index.php/t-42841.html

I'm going to make another copy of my system, (just in case,) and then experiment with loading Dell MediaDirect and iTunes to see if these will work together with this hardware.

Ino

Thank you guys, im also planning to use xp on my t1620 . I already downloaded all drivers you have suggested, is the wifi driver included there? i use wifi in posting this and it is my only connection. will it work after i installed all those 12 drivers? diabase said that he needed to update windows for wifi drivers. how can i get those?i dont have ethernet
thanks

Diabase

Thank you guys, im also planning to use xp on my t1620 . I already downloaded all drivers you have suggested, is the wifi driver included there? i use wifi in posting this and it is my only connection. will it work after i installed all those 12 drivers? diabase said that he needed to update windows for wifi drivers. how can i get those?i dont have ethernet
thanks

See Resolver1's post 01-12-2008, 03:30 PM for the wireless driver he used here: http://www.computerforum.com/103746-gateway-t1620-4.html#post868336

Ino

Great! i'll start installing tomorrow and start studying how Clonezilla works now.
Thank you all.

bunnywinkles

the more i look at it the more im realizing my xp shouldnt work...but for some reason it does... i think my computer has a brain (cpu) like me, it just knows that its gotta work so it pulls it off, i installed like 6 drivers and all the ! ponts went away so i was happy, it crashes sometimes when watching movies but thats ok dont bother me too much. iTunes works absolutely fine for me. everything ive thrown at it has ran fine, yet i have like half the stuff you guys do... it just weird... its like the internet... it shouldnt work... but it does...

Resolver1

Sorry your missing Vista. That's one of the reasons that I've recommended using software like Clonezilla. I hope you have a copy that you can roll your system back to. I'm not surprised that Thief Deadly Shadows doesn't run well because the video card in the Gateway t1620 system isn't very good.
I can't really call the GPU 'bad', I would call the game's programmers 'bad'. I just installed Crysis for laughs to see how slow it would run, and the funny thing it runs better than Thief on higher resolution (800x600). I can only get descent frame rate on 640x480 resolution, other wise it won't go above 20 frames, and I'm comparing a current gen game that has more physics in one tree than Thief has in its entire level.

Diabase

I can't really call the GPU 'bad', I would call the game's programmers 'bad'. I just installed Crysis for laughs to see how slow it would run, and the funny thing it runs better than Thief on higher resolution (800x600). I can only get descent frame rate on 640x480 resolution, other wise it won't go above 20 frames, and I'm comparing a current gen game that has more physics in one tree than Thief has in its entire level.

Thanks Resolver1 for the news about Crysis.

I'm still amazed how often great games are released with so many errors. I agree, much of my hardware processing power in the past seems to be used to compensate for simple coding mistakes in games.

I ran the Crysis System Requirements Lab from the Crysis web site and it gives a PASS for all Gateway t1620 systems. I admit, I am surprised.

I notice the Vista minimum system requirements for Crysis are higher than the XP minimum system requirements. (i.e. 1.6 GB RAM for Vista, 1 GB RAM for XP.) It looks from the Crysis System Requirements Lab results that Crysis can use the dual AMD 1.8GHz CPU as though it was a 3.64 GHz CPU!

I think I'll try out Crysis on my Gateway t1620.

Last edited:

mirous

Clonezilla

Hi all, first thanx to all, I was able to get my 6824 down to XP. With sound :)

But I tried to play a little bit. And I have an issue with clonezilla sw. I have backed up all original Vista stuff on USB hdd. That worked fine and I have all images I made. the problem appears when I want to get the image back on laptop SATA drive. I'm able to start clonezilla, map usb drive as source and than it shows me just one option to go as target drive which is "sdc1" partition. But my SATA drive partition where I want to put the image back is "sda1". Anyone knows the way?

mirous

Hi all, first thanx to all, I was able to get my 6824 down to XP. With sound :)

But I tried to play a little bit. And I have an issue with clonezilla sw. I have backed up all original Vista stuff on USB hdd. That worked fine and I have all images I made. the problem appears when I want to get the image back on laptop SATA drive. I'm able to start clonezilla, map usb drive as source and than it shows me just one option to go as target drive which is "sdc1" partition. But my SATA drive partition where I want to put the image back is "sda1". Anyone knows the way?
Got it !! I connected the USB hdd back to the second machine and I figured out, that all files of image are named sdc1..... So I renamed to sda1... and it works fine. I am just wondering why clever Clonezilla:
1) does not allow me to plug an image to different partition
2) why it named the image of my first parition on my only disk as sdc1

any hints? thanks.

jacklazara

You tried but ultimately failed. All of those links except one don't work, fix them.
Here is a comprehensive guide I made for some of the stuff:

1.Audio- http://support.gateway.com/support/...udio DriverVersion: 5.10.5185.0&uid=183438670 Click on the link and then press "Download Now" (it's in red). It's a zip file so it will extract all the stuff into C:\cabs\D00758-001-001 and in that folder just click on Setup.exe
2. Video- For video you can use Omega Drivers http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=Files&go=cat&dwn_cat_id=14 click on Radeon Omega Driver 4.8.442 It's an executable so just follow the stuff on screen. The drivers from Dell wouldn't install, but if you do it manually they work.
3. Network Ethernet- http://www.softwarepatch.com/utilities/realtek-rtl8100.html it's an executable I believe;
4. Camera- http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/getFile.asp?id=21664&uid=183748963 it installs the same way as Audio drivers.
5. Wireless- http://www.opendrivers.com/freedown...2-windows-98se-me-2000-xp-vista-download.html zipped up folder with setup.exe inside.

I'll work on the rest, I'm having issues extracting cab files though.

nice! thanks forr info

jacklazara

thanks

yeah wi-fi is included