Getting a new comp, have around 1,500... Is this nice?

34erd

The monitor looks fine, but its a widescreen. That is 100% what you need to run the computer, you can always change around peripherals (keyboard, mouse, etc.) if you want. Also consider Praetors $1500 gaming steup in computer specs 101.

34erd

First off, no need to double post, there's and edit button for a reason. Second: A. The extra cache of the 4400+ makes little if no difference in gaming and is not worth the price premium, and B. The X1900XT will outperform a 7900GT and the total cost wont be any more if you stick with a 4200+.

flush01

34erd said:
First off, no need to double post, there's and edit button for a reason. Second: A. The extra cache of the 4400+ makes little if no difference in gaming and is not worth the price premium, and B. The X1900XT will outperform a 7900GT and the total cost wont be any more if you stick with a 4200+.
there's edit button ? wow you so smart ... NOT

maybe he will do more then gaming, how do you know... sure it will outperform in games, but your eyes will not see any difference... but you will see the difference when you do some heavy work on your cpu

Geoff

VIP Member
flush01 said:
there's edit button ? wow you so smart ... NOT

maybe he will do more then gaming, how do you know... sure it will outperform in games, but your eyes will not see any difference... but you will see the difference when you do some heavy work on your cpu
If you think your so smart, then why didnt you use it?

And the x1900XT is 512MB unlike some 7900GT's.

34erd

Not getting into a big arguement, even CPU intensive programs will see almost no improvement with the extra cache. I'm just saying that $103 extra for 512 kb of extra cache just isnt worth it for the price premium with his budget, and should be put to use in another area of the computer

Spi1lz

So, should I get the 7900gt or the x1900XT?

There is like a 150 dollar difference, 7900gt being the cheaper of the 2...

(Out of the setup listed so far in this thread, what could take some downgrading on and not lose much performance? Because my budget is tight, and bringing down the cost a little bit would certainly help me out...)

Last edited:

bigsaucybob

Spi1lz said:
So, should I get the 7900gt or the x1900XT?

There is like a 150 dollar difference, 7900gt being the cheaper of the 2...

(Out of the setup listed so far in this thread, what could take some downgrading on and not lose much performance? Because my budget is tight, and bringing down the cost a little bit would certainly help me out...)

If your budget is really looking pretty tight, then get the 7900GT and save yourself some cash. You might be able to downgrade on the mobo maybe. The one you have selected is very nice.

Spi1lz

bigsaucybob said:
If your budget is really looking pretty tight, then get the 7900GT and save yourself some cash. You might be able to downgrade on the mobo maybe. The one you have selected is very nice.
The mobo I have selected is only 75 bucks... That is nice? (seems cheap, but then again I don't know)

bigsaucybob

Spi1lz said:
The mobo I have selected is only 75 bucks... That is nice? (seems cheap, but then again I don't know)

O My apologies, I read incorrectly. I would personally stick with the 7900GT.

flush01

[-0MEGA-] said:
If you think your so smart, then why didnt you use it?

And the x1900XT is 512MB unlike some 7900GT's.
because i got $150 geforce 6800GS 256mb and it plays EVERY game on high.... in a year when games get more intanse i can pick up another 6800gs for like $80 and put them in dual SLI mode

flush01

Spi1lz said:
The 7900GT will be as capable as the x1900XT?

well x1900XT IS better then 7900GT ... but you will not see any difference AT ALL when playing games, unless you use 3dmax or some designing software which require alot of rendering

im just trying to save u some $ :)

Spi1lz

flush01 said:
well x1900XT IS better then 7900GT ... but you will not see any difference AT ALL when playing games, unless you use 3dmax or some designing software which require alot of rendering

im just trying to save u some $ :)
Sweet...

what else could I drop down a bit in price but yet keep a pretty similar performance?

34erd

The X1900XT will produce noticable difference over the 7900GT, but if it doesnt fit in your budget the 7900GT is a great choice. Just if you can squeeze it in to your build, the X1900XT is a great card. If you dont buy the audigy sound card (your motherboards integrated sound is sufficient for most tasks), and get a 4200+, this X1900XT should fit in. If you have some extra money, consider changing the motherboard to an ASUS A8R-MVP.