Gonna do an upgrade...

Intel_man

VIP Member
Well I personally would give up 2 extra FPS for future upgradeability.
So you're basically recommending people today with GTX 760s to instead of buying a Pascal GPU as an upgrade, to somehow buy a GTX 760 to run SLi.

Don't be daft, if you're not going to SLi now, you're not going to do it later.

Calin

So you're basically recommending people today with GTX 760s to instead of buying a Pascal GPU as an upgrade, to somehow buy a GTX 760 to run SLi.

Don't be daft, if you're not going to SLi now, you're not going to do it later.
Well if they don't have money for a Pascal GPU but need more power they can always buy a used 760 and SLI it for cheap.
Plus I doubt Volta will come until January, so there's plenty of time.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Well if they don't have money for a Pascal GPU but need more power they can always buy a used 760 and SLI it for cheap.
Plus I doubt Volta will come until January, so there's plenty of time.
You really have no idea what you're talking about do you?

GTX 760 SLi's power draw is around 450W out of the wall. The OP would have to grab a new 650-750W PSU to run it under the max efficiency curve. A used 760 + new PSU would run him the cost of a new GTX 970 while offering similar performance when SLi scales efficiently. Definitely not worth the hassle.

SLi & Crossfire capability on the video card should not even be the deciding factor into picking a video card with a budget like the OP's.

Deadpool

Doesn´t seem too far off. If you have a 480, and can´t afford a 1080, why wouldn´t you add another 480? Instead of spending $550 you can spend $180 and get around the same performance. Yeah it doesn´t scale as well, and it draws a lot of power, but there is a $350 difference. With that you can get a Titanium 1500W fully modular PSU and plug your electric car to your PC while gaming.

And why do you say 2 760s draw 450W? Maximum power is 170W. And the 950´s is 90W.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Doesn´t seem too far off. If you have a 480, and can´t afford a 1080, why wouldn´t you add another 480? Instead of spending $550 you can spend $180 and get around the same performance. Yeah it doesn´t scale as well, and it draws a lot of power, but there is a $350 difference. With that you can get a Titanium 1500W fully modular PSU and plug your electric car to your PC while gaming.
Where do I start? The guy has a FX-6300. You want to slap a CF 480 on that system? Absolute waste of money.
And why do you say 2 760s draw 450W? Maximum power is 170W. And the 950´s is 90W.
System power draw dude... 2 760's with a typical gaming setup when that was new draws 450W out of the wall according to multiple reviews. Nvidia at the time recommends a 700W PSU, but you can probably get away with a 650W.

Deadpool

Where do I start? The guy has a FX-6300. You want to slap a CF 480 on that system? Absolute waste of money.

That´s a different matter. No one ever said specifically the system to be upgraded should be this one. In a future system, instead of changing everything, he keeps the 480 and adds another one, instead of buying a 1080. You also have to keep in mind this is a person upgrading an FX system on 2017, so 480 XF in a year or so does not look too bad.

System power draw dude... 2 760's with a typical gaming setup when that was new draws 450W out of the wall according to multiple reviews. Nvidia at the time recommends a 700W PSU, but you can probably get away with a 650W.

If you mean the entire system then that is correct.

Calin

SLi & Crossfire capability on the video card should not even be the deciding factor into picking a video card with a budget like the OP's.
It matters a lot to me. In 2013 I wanted to buy a 650 Ti Boost but decided to save some money and go for the standard 650 Ti. Big mistake. If I spent the 50$ or whatever it was on the Boost, I could have gone SLI with them when I found out I needed more performance.
Same with my current 1080s. When I bought the first one I was 90% sure I wasn't gonna SLI but since I needed more performance, I added another one 5 months later. And I would like to get a 3rd one but since it's no longer supported, I will have to wait for Volta.
The fact that the 1060 doesn't support SLI is a huge mistake from nVidia IMO. I would always go with the RX480 for that simple reason.
But of course you're gonna say that I'm a dumb fool, like you always do

Intel_man

VIP Member
That´s a different matter.
No it's really not.
In a future system, instead of changing everything, he keeps the 480 and adds another one, instead of buying a 1080.
You're just trying to change the whole situation here to fit that statement.
You also have to keep in mind this is a person upgrading an FX system on 2017, so 480 XF in a year or so does not look too bad.
Upgrading an FX system in 2017, sure, he wants to get a bit more out of his system. I understand that and I have nothing against that. But picking a video card over another strictly based on CF ready is wrong. There's no other way to look at this. Crossfiring 480s in his FX6300 no matter how you want to put it is stupid. Don't dig yourself into a deeper hole.

It matters a lot to me. In 2013 I wanted to buy a 650 Ti Boost but decided to save some money and go for the standard 650 Ti. Big mistake. If I spent the 50$ or whatever it was on the Boost, I could have gone SLI with them when I found out I needed more performance.
Same with my current 1080s. When I bought the first one I was 90% sure I wasn't gonna SLI but since I needed more performance, I added another one 5 months later. And I would like to get a 3rd one but since it's no longer supported, I will have to wait for Volta.
The fact that the 1060 doesn't support SLI is a huge mistake from nVidia IMO. I would always go with the RX480 for that simple reason.
But of course you're gonna say that I'm a dumb fool, like you always do
You need to understand the idea that what you think is important is not what 99% of the rest of us would think is important. We've been through this before.

Reactions: C4C

Deadpool

You're just trying to change the whole situation here to fit that statement.

I´m using things discussed here before. You are the one that´s mixed up... You even mentioned 760s... WTF. You saying that just shows that you don´t care about anything else other than being right.

Upgrading an FX system in 2017, sure, he wants to get a bit more out of his system. I understand that and I have nothing against that. But picking a video card over another strictly based on CF ready is wrong.

No one said that. It´s just a nice perk, and as Calin said, trading 2 FPS for future upgradeability sounds like a good deal. Also the 480 is cheaper, a lot, so either way, it´s not worth the 2 FPS.

Crossfiring 480s in his FX6300 no matter how you want to put it is stupid. Don't dig yourself into a deeper hole.

Again, no one said that.

No it's really not.

I guess I´ll take your word for it.

Intel_man

VIP Member
I´m using things discussed here before. You are the one that´s mixed up... You even mentioned 760s... WTF.
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/analogy

You saying that just shows that you don´t care about anything else other than being right.
I'm trying to tell the OP not to choose the two based on SLi or CF ready.

No one said that. It´s just a nice perk, and as Calin said, trading 2 FPS for future upgradeability sounds like a good deal.
Do you need reading lessons? See what Calin wrote below.
I would go with the 480 over the 1060 though, the performance is pretty similar but the 1060 doesn't support SLI while the 480 supports Crossfire.

==============================

Also the 480 is cheaper, a lot, so either way, it´s not worth the 2 FPS.
The 480 is a lot cheaper than what? A McDonalds Happy Meal? Finish your sentence.

Deadpool

Dude he is not choosing solely on the fact that it supports Crossfire. The fact that it performs similar, and in addition it has XF support.

The 480 is a lot cheaper than the 1060.

Do you need reading lessons?

As usual, the inmature and disrespectful touch, not to mention you are wrong. Classic you. It´s funny because when you do analogies completely unrelated to the budget and build, it´s ok, but when I use a 480 and a 1080, which are related to this topic, because the 480 is the GPU on discussion, it´s somehow wrong. And the worst part is, you use GPUs that demand more power than the 480s. I wonder why. That´s not an analogy, that´s just some made up crap to make it seem you are making any sense.

I know we will not come to an agreement. You always do the same.

The 480 can be used for a future build, you can´t deny it. The 1060 should be sold in order to upgrade. I stick to my main point: The 480 can be used in the future with another 480, the 1060 cannot do the same. That´s what´s important.

A 480's a lot cheaper than the 1060? Has he checked the prices lately? Retail prices of those cards are within $10 of each other.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/9NZ2FT/msi-radeon-rx-480-4gb-video-card-rx-480-armor-4g-oc

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Ft7CmG/zotac-geforce-gtx-1060-6gb-mini-video-card-zt-p10600a-10l

Both are the cheapest models available.

Calin

A 480's a lot cheaper than the 1060? Has he checked the prices lately? Retail prices of those cards are within $10 of each other.
I was just "finishing his sentence".
He said his max budget is 400$. He can get a 480 and an i5 with a board. I went Haswell so that he can reuse his RAM.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($174.69 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H-A Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($62.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $397.56
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-15 16:00 EDT-0400

Deadpool

I was just "finishing his sentence".

He said his max budget is 400$. He can get a 480 and an i5 with a board. I went Haswell so that he can reuse his RAM.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($174.69 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H-A Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($62.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $397.56
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-15 16:00 EDT-0400

No Shinola! Yeah that's a great idea. If he sells his current stuff he could even get a better CPU.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Dude he is not choosing solely on the fact that it supports Crossfire. The fact that it performs similar, and in addition it has XF support.
Except from his statement, he is choosing it solely on the fact that it supports crossfire. You even bolded that exact point. He mentioned both performs similarly.... so he's not basing his recommendation on performance. Then what does he say? Oh the 480 has CF support, you should get that instead. That's exactly choosing it solely on the fact that it supports crossfire.

As usual, the inmature and disrespectful touch, not to mention you are wrong. Classic you. It´s funny because when you do analogies completely unrelated to the budget and build, it´s ok, but when I use a 480 and a 1080, which are related to this topic, because the 480 is the GPU on discussion, it´s somehow wrong. And the worst part is, you use GPUs that demand more power than the 480s. I wonder why. That´s not an analogy, that´s just some made up crap to make it seem you are making any sense.
The analogy I use perfectly makes sense in that the card in question is the 480 & GTX1060, which the 760 is the equivalent in the tier it's sold in 2013. So his idea that the CF ability is for the future fits this situation perfectly. The 760 is 4 years old now, is SLi ready, but are you going to grab another 760 in 2017? Hell... let's say we're in 2015, would you buy another 760 + 700W PSU? Or are you going to get a 970 instead that offered similar performance of having 2 760s? Price wise, the benefits of buying an older card like the 760 is lost when you have to upgrade to a bigger PSU.

Deadpool

Except from his statement, he is choosing it solely on the fact that it supports crossfire. You even bolded that exact point. He mentioned both performs similarly.... so he's not basing his recommendation on performance. Then what does he say? Oh the 480 has CF support, you should get that instead. That's exactly choosing it solely on the fact that it supports crossfire.

No. He chose it because they are both the same, but one of them has XF. If it was only on the fact that it ahs XF then he could have chosen the 460-470-480-370-360 equally. Can you guess why he didn´t?

I´m gonna ignore the rest of the BS you made up, because you compared a 4 year old GPU with Pascal, and I compared contemporary cards. It just makes no sense.

Intel_man

VIP Member
No. He chose it because they are both the same, but one of them has XF.
Wow... That is exactly what choosing it solely based on crossfire means.

If it was only on the fact that it ahs XF then he could have chosen the 460-470-480-370-360 equally. Can you guess why he didn´t?
Because the 480's direct competitor is the gtx 1060 and is the two cards that is being compared.

I´m gonna ignore the rest of the BS you made up, because you compared a 4 year old GPU with Pascal, and I compared contemporary cards. It just makes no sense.
BS I made up? Are you kidding me? You're talking about future proofing, so you're going to look at things that will be out in a few years time. A few years from now, the newest thing in the market is not going to be a RX480 or a GTX1060. You're going to be comparing your existing RX480/GTX1060 to the new stuff that is going to exist. Performance increases over video card generations have been pretty steady. Which makes it reasonable to put yourself in the shoes of owning a GTX760 when new, and now you need a refresh. Do you buy another 760+PSU to SLi, or do you just buy a RX480/GTX1060 that is offered now.

This isn't really rocket science.