Google Chrome

Pegasus

banned
Google Chrome ? Not a lot can be said really about such a skeletal offering.

Google Chrome is to the sophisticated needs and advanced complex technology of 2011 computer systems what the Wright Brothers flying machine is to orbital space flight.

Speed ? OK, Chrome may be a few milliseconds faster than Firefox, but so what ? A 60 second saving in one day is no monumental reward when you spend over 2 hours getting home through the traffic gridlock and then waste 6-8 hours in suspended hybernation every night.

What would any intelligent user want ? A super luxurious high tech, accessory laden ride in a Bugatti, or an adrenaline pumping, hair raising ride on a rocket propelled 3-wheel bike ? Answer = no contest.

Google Chrome ? - Dump it and install Firefox with all the accessories and facilities of a 21st. Century browser that has the enormous benefit of a complete Mozilla support organisation.

John

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
chrome is faster and better than firefox !

Wrong sir. It may be faster, but it is NOT better.

I use Firefox for the themes and all the available extensions that it has. Plus I prefer the look and feel of it over Chrome.

Nanobyte

Why do people post weird threads like this? :confused:
Because they lost out in the lottery for buying Google shares?

There's no harm in these subjects being discussed but most of the population are fine browser-wise with IE. The ultimate is of interest to the few.

fastdude

Google Chrome ? Not a lot can be said really about such a skeletal offering.

Google Chrome is to the sophisticated needs and advanced complex technology of 2011 computer systems what the Wright Brothers flying machine is to orbital space flight.

Speed ? OK, Chrome may be a few milliseconds faster than Firefox, but so what ? A 60 second saving in one day is no monumental reward when you spend over 2 hours getting home through the traffic gridlock and then waste 6-8 hours in suspended hybernation every night.

What would any intelligent user want ? A super luxurious high tech, accessory laden ride in a Bugatti, or an adrenaline pumping, hair raising ride on a rocket propelled 3-wheel bike ? Answer = no contest.

Google Chrome ? - Dump it and install Firefox with all the accessories and facilities of a 21st. Century browser that has the enormous benefit of a complete Mozilla support organisation.

John
Are you doubting a large chunk of this forum's intelligence?
As for your rhetorical question, I'd rather the adrenaline ride.
Google is a much larger corporation than Mozilla and therefore has much better support, and as said (and understated), Chrome is significantly faster than any other browser. Name one useful feature or add-on that Firefox has that Chrome doesn't offer with a few clicks.

EDIT: Just my op
EDIT: View the F2P games thread for the real reason why Chrome is the best
EDIT: Also if one tab crashes the rest won't

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Because they lost out in the lottery for buying Google shares?

There's no harm in these subjects being discussed but most of the population are fine browser-wise with IE. The ultimate is of interest to the few.

No, I mean they just start a thread and start stating random facts about something like they're helping us by putting this information on the site.

Nanobyte

It's pointless making comparisons unless some parameters are set. A McLaren F1 is useless to someone who wants 4 seats and cupholders!

Nanobyte

Firefox overtook IE at the start of 2009 as most-used. IE has lost ground due to the new browsers but FF has stayed about the same for the past few years.

I wonder if at some point the public will see Google in the same light as Microsoft, having too much control. Google has an awful lot of info about us and what it cares to show us in its sponsored ads. They seem to be everyone's darling at the moment, highlighted by the quick rise of Chrome.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Chrome offers a full sandbox type environment for web browsing and it also treats each tab as a separate process. So, if one tab locks or crashes it doesn't crash your whole browser. It is also based on webkit, so same under-the-hood as Safari.

While frefox definitely whoops it as far as third party extensions go, Chrome has a lot of awesome security features.

However, it all comes down to preference.

CrayonMuncher

Firefox overtook IE at the start of 2009 as most-used. IE has lost ground due to the new browsers but FF has stayed about the same for the past few years.

uh i'm pretty sure that ie is still the market leader by a fair share, do you mean it overtook in new user per month?
ie still has something like 46% of the market

each to there own i liked chrome but i had a problem where i would type in address press enter or click the button and would not do anything no matter what i tried, my friend had the same problem as well, so i went back to firefox which is more the more mature software of the two, even tho i find the first start up to be quite slow.

this thread seems pretty pointless tbh the ops info is pretty much all biased/unfounded/unresearched.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
I would use Chrome BUT

1) It's terrible on my slow internet. On firefox, I can open up multiple tabs, go do something else, and after a minute or two come back to do my browsing. On Chrome, it will usually time out, come up with just a blank page or rarely, load a small portion of the page. IDK if there's a timeout setting I'm meant to fiddle around with...

2) Kinda to do with my previous point, but if an image doesn't load completely, I'm stuffed. It doesn't matter how many times I bash refresh, it'll just come up with the incomplete image in the cache. I thought they'd fixed it, but I re-installed Chrome not long ago and it still does it.

3) Chrome's "adblock"/AdThwart only hide ads, but don't keep them from loading (at least some of them). I live in the country, I have a terrible, slow and capped internet. I'm not blocking ads because they distract me, I'm doing it to conserve bandwidth. On a second thought, they might actually have fixed it, but I haven't heard anything...

Dropkickmurphys

I use IE9, I like it, anyone got a problem with that?

I think that it is each to their own.

I personally use Chrome cause its fast, clear and more of the page fills your monitor due to less toolbars etc...

I use Firefox for website / webapp development cause of the brilliant addons you can get for it (including an IE "simulator").

The only time I do use IE is to run different websites I have developed in it to make sure that they display correctly (because IE doesn't handle CSS properly).

TFT

VIP Member
Regarding CSS that's very true of IE8 but IE9 in beta outdoes Google and is on par with Firefox, it's a great improvement all round with more screen area as well.

http://www.quirksmode.org/css/contents.html

I think people are referring to what they know in the IE6, 7 and 8 which has many failings.

Last edited:

TFT

VIP Member
Maybe, but if users go on previous versions, more fool them. Anyone with more than one cell in their brain will run whatever suits them at the time, with no allegiance to anyone.

If google chrome is the all singing dancing one next week then I'll use that.

Last edited: