Google Chrome

tmac5150

Me personally, I like Opera and all the features. I've only seen it mentioned 1 or 2 times. Opera is pretty fast. I've never been an IE user. I used to(& still do, just not as often) go between Opera & Firefox, just depending on what I was doing. Opera has the "speak" feature where it'll read the highlighted text & the personal info & notes section when you right click. I don't remember the last time I typed my name or address or whatever info I have there to use. No, it's not where you would want to put credit card #', but as far as filling out your average registration form takes no time. That's just 2 of the many cool features Opera has. Some of you more "tech savy" fellows out there can probably pick it apart, but for me, I like it for the majority of my browsing. Hope this helps. Take care...

Nanobyte

There's a fairly obvious trend in the responses:

Those that have IE, Firefox or Opera set up with custom add-ons etc are sticking to them for the meat of their surfing. The "slower" browsers may be quicker overall and more useful because of the customization.

Those (including those above) that want quick and limited features prefer Chrome.

Chrome has more features built-in to the basic setup. It will be interesting to see how Chrome fares once people start loading it down with add-ons.

Dramen

I must admit I do like the addons in my browser, but only ones that are neccesary. I can't find one world clock extension for Chrome that actually does what it's supposed to - accurately tell the time and contain all the cities one would expect. One I installed even had typos throughout the interface. I'm wondering about the standard of extension development and overall community knowledge about the browser, FF wins hands down imo but maybe due to being around longer and the competition to produce good addons. I did find one extension that is a dictionary, you double click on any word within a webpage and it pops up a little bubble giving you the definition, takes you into wikipedia as well and can also translate the language which I was really impressed with. I'm still on the fence but enjoying checking it all out.

edit: After a couple of days checking out chrome, I ran SUPERantispyware and caught 23 threats. The extensions I installed were basically the same as I use in FF but the Chrome version - Adblock Plus and WOT. With daily scans I'm lucky to get one or two threats using FF. So does it mean Chrome picks up all sorts of junk while I surf and the extensions are inferior in security compared to FF?

Last edited:

remy3x

Two years ago, I downloaded Firefox, used it for three days and hated it. Then I downloaded Chrome and I've been using it ever since. :)