Google Chrome

Nanobyte

uh i'm pretty sure that ie is still the market leader by a fair share, do you mean it overtook in new user per month?
ie still has something like 46% of the market
See this link among others. I guess the stats come from the average number of browser sessions recorded on sites (not new users as your comment).

this thread seems pretty pointless tbh the ops info is pretty much all biased/unfounded/unresearched.
Who cares, it's a good starter for a discussion!

Dropkickmurphys

Regarding CSS that's very true of IE8 but IE9 in beta outdoes Google and is on par with Firefox, it's a great improvement all round with more screen area as well.

http://www.quirksmode.org/css/contents.html

I think people are referring to what they know in the IE6, 7 and 8 which has many failings.

I might give IE 9 beta a go then. Although that still won't help my development work cause most people running IE are using 6, 7 or 8 lol. I did a year working developing ASP.NET application in IE 6 and it was HORRIBLE, I hope when people finally get around to using a newer version more readily it might get better :)

boo-boo

banned
Do people still use IE?

I use IE 8 cause my crappy computer likes to freeze all the time so I just stick with it for now until I get a better computer. Otherwise I like both Firefox and Google Chrome they both are great browsers with different advantages/disadvantages.

Nanobyte

Out of curiosity I took a look at the Terms and Conditions for Chrome. The usual impossible-to-read applet, although it was bigger than some. There were a few items that I did not like the look of. It also referred to their Privacy Policy and the Chrome Privacy Policy. Next time I have a day or two to browse I'll sign up. I'm wondering what in heck I agreed to when I signed up for Firefox!

Dramen

I gave up on IE a long time ago because I got sick of crash after crash. I have IE8 installed but never really thought about using it, probably because of past experience. In Chrome, each tab being treated separately is a good idea though, unlike when FF crashes (not that often for me) every page closes. I've just stuck with FF because of the addons, Chrome adds to my paranoia about Google knowing what shoe size and what colour underpants I have on that day but I think having more browsers to choose from is a good thing because it promotes competition and better stuff is released. IT is definitely a field where you have to be adaptable to change.

chibicitiberiu

I recently switched to Chrome, the main reason being that Firefox loads too slow. Chrome opens in less than 5 seconds, but Firefox, I need to wait a little longer. And I haven't noticed a difference in speed when loading pages.
A cool thing I like about Chrome is that I can kill all the flash stuff, so if an ad gets past the AdBlock filter, I can kill it right away. Chrome has also some cool features for web design, like the "inspector" (but I don't do web design :D).

I don't like that Firefox freezes a little when there is flash content (e.g. video is loading), and I can't kill flash. I did a feature request years ago that Adobe Flash has a "Kill" option, but no answer yet.
Reposted it, please support by voting here: https://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FP-5980

I think I will switch back to firefox when 4 is out of beta, but I will see until then.

Last edited:

lucasbytegenius

I tend to switch between three browsers, with Chrome as my petty task browser due to it's program launching speed, and Firefox 4b8 as my workhorse browser since it is compatible with all the pages I visit. Opera is used sometimes when I'm feeling like driving it around, I just can't get over its awesome features.

But everybody has their preference, and I believe that if the members stopped making opinionated threads about petty issues it would help us focus on the real problems here.

Nanobyte

....But everybody has their preference, and I believe that if the members stopped making opinionated threads about petty issues it would help us focus on the real problems here.
When simple questions turn into long threads it shows there is interest in making current comment and will reflect any shifts in views since the last time the subject came up. Nobody comments on a thread at the expense of any other thread and nobody is being forced to comment. I've found the thread to be informative even if I already knew the answers.

Calgary real estate web design, Redesign website Calgary, Website customization Calgary.
We are Calgary leading web design, web development and search engine optimization company, delivering highly-creative, brand-driven and results-focused web solutions to corporate and individual clients. We help companies of all sizes to use established and emerging technologies to do their web businesses and marketing. By adding the human touch to the technology we are making it accessible and usable by everyone.

LMAO

Anyway, Chrome is awesome, imho, due simply to it's speed. I was an avid FF user (especially with the advent of IETab for those pesky IE-only sites) for years before the frustration of waiting for the damn thing to load took over. There's nothing I can't do in Chrome that was previously available in FF - the only difference is that it's faster and more secure. All hail the mighty google! Cheers.

Dramen

I decided to give Chrome a chance and see what the hype is about. The most noticeable thing is the incredible speed, which is really good.
Not so sure about the lack of toolbar interaction compared to FF which I've used for so long now.
Does anyone know how to remove the "quick access, place your bookmarks bar..." message on the left side of the browser?
The importing of favourites from FF was trouble free, in the past when I've tried to import between browsers it had random results.

ngdkas.jpg

I decided to give Chrome a chance and see what the hype is about. The most noticeable thing is the incredible speed, which is really good.
Not so sure about the lack of toolbar interaction compared to FF which I've used for so long now.
Does anyone know how to remove the "quick access, place your bookmarks bar..." message on the left side of the browser?
The importing of favourites from FF was trouble free, in the past when I've tried to import between browsers it had random results.

ngdkas.jpg

Glad you like it! About the message, I just dragged my bookmarks there and the message disappeared. Cheers.

Dramen

Thanks. That was an easy fix. The Chrome forums seem to have many posts about the issue, ranging from "you've got spyware!!" to "reinstall the browser" which I found pretty amusing.

HumanMage

I switched to Google Chrome because it was some how faster loading pages than Firefox on my apartment network. I have kept with it since August. I like it, I like Firefox as well...but I don't have the time to really take a look at why one browser performs better than another. Chrome has a few themes to it, I like the Midnight, or black theme...I like dark things :)