Graphics Card Machine Failure

n64gk

it has always done one beep when it boots, i just took this as normal POSTing, and now it does the one normal beep, and after about 5 seconds it does the other two very rapidly, does that come under 2 short, or 1 long and 2 short, the first one isnt long, but its longer than the other short ones

goranpaa

it has always done one beep when it boots, i just took this as normal POSTing, and now it does the one normal beep, and after about 5 seconds it does the other two very rapidly, does that come under 2 short, or 1 long and 2 short, the first one isnt long, but its longer than the other short ones

As I understand it? It could be either a memory failure or a post problem. OR a video problem. :(

Maybe you should take out one RAM stick at the time and see what happends? It might be worth to try?

Last edited:

n64gk

okay yeah, that sounds like a good idea, ive tried taking out all of the ram sticks and just booting on one, but i havent tried lots of combinations, im working at the moment but when i stop for lunch i'll try it and get back to you, thanks!

goranpaa

If you have to replace the motherboard? It will have to be a micro ATX board with processor socket: Intel socket 775. That could be tricky to find as it's an old processor and socket type.

okay yeah, that sounds like a good idea, ive tried taking out all of the ram sticks and just booting on one, but i havent tried lots of combinations, im working at the moment but when i stop for lunch i'll try it and get back to you, thanks!

You're welcome.

Ok. I will back here in the late afternoon or in the early eve.

Last edited by a moderator:

n64gk

that doesnt sound right as it has an AMD processor and the socket is AM2, or is that the same thing?

are you sure you've found the right board?

n64gk

i think if i needed to replace it i would just buy a new mobo with a new processor and then plug my old hdd and graphics card into it. So is this one youve suggested an old one? what processor does it take? and thanks very much btw

goranpaa

i think if i needed to replace it i would just buy a new mobo with a new processor and then plug my old hdd and graphics card into it. So is this one youve suggested an old one? what processor does it take? and thanks very much btw

Yes, your motherboard, cpu and RAM are pretty outdated.

The kind of motherboard you have now can handle any Intel cpu that have a corresponding socket.

In my opinion, the best way would be to go for some more modern motherboard, processor and RAM.

If you want cheap but good stuff? I can recommend the AMD FX 6300, socket AM 3+. 6 core cpu. And a suitable Asus or Gigabyte micro ATX mobo with USB 3.0 ports. + 4 - 8 gigabyte of DDR3, 1600 MHz RAM. But if you are running a 32 bit Windows? 2 gigabyte of RAM will do as 32 bit Windows only can handle max 3 gigabyte of RAM anyway.

Your present psu are only 250W, So maybe you should still as soon as possible, get a more powerful one and even a good midtower or a fulltower case with 120 mm fans ( Then especially such a case with a 120 -240 mm rear case exhaust fan / fans ).

Antec, Corsair or CoolerMaster are good case brands.

You're welcome.

Last edited:

n64gk

okay so update, ive managed to get it working again, each ram stick, one stick at a time, so now im going to try multiple sticks to see if a slot has broken, and if that works then ill try the other gpu again until i find the faulty component

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
that doesnt sound right as it has an AMD processor and the socket is AM2, or is that the same thing?

According to the specs it is an Intel socket 775 not an AMD AM2. Go into the system properties once inside windows and tell us what it says. What makes you think its an AM2 socket?

goranpaa

okay so update, ive managed to get it working again, each ram stick, one stick at a time, so now im going to try multiple sticks to see if a slot has broken, and if that works then ill try the other gpu again until i find the faulty component

Very nice! :D If you also get the videocard up and running as it should? It will be either a RAM stick or as you suggested the motherboard RAM slot.

Last edited:

n64gk

it is definitely an AMD athlon 64 X2 dual core processor 5000+ 2.61 ghz socket AM2 as i have a program called CPUID open, and also windows 8.1 'system' open, and they are both telling me this

yeah im currently on the machine, with the old gpu uninstalling all the graphics drivers incase its a driver issue

goranpaa

it is definitely an AMD athlon 64 X2 dual core processor 5000+ 2.61 ghz socket AM2 as i have a program called CPUID open, and also windows 8.1 'system' open, and they are both telling me this

That is very strange as the PDF manual said it whas Intel socket LGA 775. Very confusing!!!
But it's just very good if it's the AMD X2 dual core.

n64gk

i now have all 4 ram sticks in, so all i have to do now is install the new gpu, should i wipe the CMOS before doing so?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member

Then you must have put your own motherboard and processor in it then because the stock Asus T3-P5G31 is an Intel system not AMD.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Go into cpuid and click on the mainboard tab and tell me what motherboard you have.

goranpaa

Yeah, that is an AMD socket AM2 mobo. That makes me wonder if not Asus have at least 2 revisions / generations of this computer? And yours are rev. B or similar?

Last edited: