GTX 480 receives OCC-Gold award for the best Single GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

bomberboysk

14 pages my god. Seriously ati fans get over it. Go play games instead of defending your gpu's that obviously lost this gpu war. You all keep saying how the 5970 beats the 480 in most games. ITS A DUAL GPU. so much fail in this thread.

The GTX480 produces more heat than the 5970, which is DUAL GPU.

bomberboysk

So what! That doesnt change anything I said. Sounds like a Helicopter. Six months late. Decapitated out the door because of yields rates. More watts under load then the 5970. Die size 1.58 times bigger than the Radeon 5870. I'm really impressed.

I have somewhat of a confirmation from an anonymous source that yield rates were not the reason its running less cores. I did not however press for more info, nor was i able to get more info on it.

Edit: And before you guys ask...no i dont know the actual reason, whether it be heat, power consumption, i dont know. All i know is that yields were not the issue(according to my source anyhow).

Last edited:

Ethan3.14159

GPU is the bottleneck,in all likelyhook my current rig if i paired it with say, three GTX 480's would be able to game just as well as an i7 rig with three GTX 480's. (Not that i would be stupid enough to get three GTX 480's, just theoretical)
I think you have it the other way around. The CPU is the bottleneck. Not even the i7 980X can keep up with the 5970 or even a 5870.

Drenlin

I think you have it the other way around. The CPU is the bottleneck. Not even the i7 980X can keep up with the 5970 or even a 5870.

Did you look at what I posted? The 5970 is a huge bottleneck to the i7. It even bottlenecks the Phenom II 965 on most games.

Even with the driver update and maybe a better chipset, it'd still be bad.

Ethan3.14159

Did you look at what I posted? The 5970 is a huge bottleneck to the i7. It even bottlenecks the Phenom II 965 on most games.

Even with the driver update and maybe a better chipset, it'd still be bad.
All those benchmarks only showed how GPU dependent games are.

I thought it was common knowledge that modern CPU's are a bottleneck to super high end video cards....

Last edited:

Ethan3.14159

...you're contradicting yourself...
No. You're only talking about games. Games are very GPU dependent. Any decent CPU with a given video card will produce a similar yield.

Outside of games (I know, shocking!) and even in a few games, most modern processors can't keep with a 5850 or a 5870. Not even getting into SLI/Crossfire setups, which is just redundant. This is why GPGPU computing is getting more and more attention because video card technology is outpacing anything else.

tlarkin

VIP Member
No. You're only talking about games. Games are very GPU dependent. Any decent CPU with a given video card will produce a similar yield.

Outside of games (I know, shocking!) and even in a few games, most modern processors can't keep with a 5850 or a 5870. Not even getting into SLI/Crossfire setups, which is just redundant. This is why GPGPU computing is getting more and more attention because video card technology is outpacing anything else.

This is correct. Video cards do have some of the highest tech in them when it comes to processing power per a device. The reason is that a GPU has a very specific task, and is coded on the firmware level to do that specific set of tasks. Where a CPU has, many many many tasks it has to perform. A CPU also has do deal with other hardware, where a video card is for the most part all self contained.

Now factor in Nvidia and ATI/AMD have some very smart people working for them, and have lots of money to spend developing such hardware, that the GPUs that come out today, are in fact typically the fastest piece of hardware in your computer.

Now, if EFI ever comes out to be a standard, you may start seeing more embedded type systems come out to consumers. Meaning, everything will have a small processor on it and everything will work in a self contained high level firmware environment and they will all work in sync with each other. EFI would allow firmware to run 64bit full blown applications off of flash memory built into the hardware. Imagine if your video card kept all drivers, all code needed to run and some higher level applications stored in firmware for it's operation? That would be pretty slick.

StrangleHold

Staff member
I have somewhat of a confirmation from an anonymous source that yield rates were not the reason its running less cores. I did not however press for more info, nor was i able to get more info on it.

Edit: And before you guys ask...no i dont know the actual reason, whether it be heat, power consumption, i dont know. All i know is that yields were not the issue(according to my source anyhow).

Well, I say there were several reasons probably. Yield rates, not enough for a full release/ Heat issues for the cut back even in clocks and maybe just sitting back and waiting for how ATI will react to the release, holding a trump card. (5890)

Drenlin

"Shocking", because the amount of people using these cards for anything but gaming is fairly low. Gaming is their intended purpose, first and foremost. Why bother arguing about how they perform otherwise?

Last edited:

Leopold Butters

I thought the CPU was the bottleneck? My brother and myself have the exact same setup only he has a i7920 and I have a PhenomII965. His performance is way higher than mine is in almost all games.

Ethan3.14159

"Shocking", because the amount of people using these cards for anything but gaming is fairly low. Gaming is their intended purpose, first and foremost. Why bother arguing about how they perform otherwise?
Because they are not "gaming" cards they are "consumer" cards. They have other purposes other than games. Decoding video, rendering, etc. A lot of people without the means for a workstation card use consumer cards for other purposes.

I thought the CPU was the bottleneck? My brother and myself have the exact same setup only he has a i7920 and I have a PhenomII965. His performance is way higher than mine is in almost all games.[/QUOTE]"]
I thought the CPU was the bottleneck? My brother and myself have the exact same setup only he has a i7920 and I have a PhenomII965. His performance is way higher than mine is in almost all games.

You're correct. CPU's just can't keep up with high end video cards.

bomberboysk

Notice...i said i would be able to GAME just as well;)

For workstation use, you would definately want something better than a c2q with these cards.

just a noob

Looks like I was wrong about the gtx 480 all along:
kWRhF.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.