Hard Drive Benchmark Results

Geoff

VIP Member
Im curious as to see what you guys get for benchmark results with your hard drive. Download HD Tune , run it, and post back with your screen shot. This way we can see if having RAID 0 really makes much of a difference, if SATAII is much better then SATA, ect.

Heres mine:
HDTune.png

That was done on a Seagate Hard Drive (320GB, 16MB Cache, SATAII (using SATA150 port though), 7200RPM, Perpendicular Recording)

The_Other_One

VIP Member
74G.jpg

Here's from my old Raptor 36G RAID. I'll make another later on with my current systems using this program.

As for the performace difference in SATA, IDE, etc... I don't think you'll see too much between interfaces. I beleive it'll all depend on the drives.

*edit*
And here's the HD benchmark for my Averatec's 4200RPM, 60G drive. :rolleyes: I beleive it's just ATA133.

Last edited:

DKdeadly

I dont know about hard drives tell if its fast?But as you notice the raptor 150gb gets very hot and i have a zalman thing for it to keep it cool.But 41C is not bad for harddrive is it?

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member

I dont know about hard drives tell if its fast?But as you notice the raptor 150gb gets very hot and i have a zalman thing for it to keep it cool.But 41C is not bad for harddrive is it?

Doesnt seem much higher then mine, as i said before, raptors are over rated :p

Hard drive mfg's say that hard drives shouldn't get above 40C for longest life.

The_Other_One

VIP Member

That's a bit slower than I was first expecting, but I guess it's about right if I got ~215Mbps with my RAID...

As for the temp, that does seem a little high. As you saw with my laptop, it was only running at 28*C(but it has been in the 40s and 50s if I recall correctly)

Nini

Im not even on my computer right now (friends house) but they had this program on their comp..thought i shud post it
hd1.jpg

Geoff

VIP Member
heres a screenshot from the family PC hard drive. It's a very old drive, but im not sure of the specs:

FamilyPC_HD.jpg

fade2green514

the main difference with the raptor is the access time. throughput isnt much different though, probably because they use sata150 ports.
ill post my drives bench in a minute. i think mine runs like 25C which is nice and cool... but its performance is average.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e55/fade2green514/hdbench.jpg
i like my burst rate and my temp mostly... lol
probably because i have a 120mm fan cooling my hard drives though. lol

Last edited:

fade2green514

[-0MEGA-];432970 said:
Im wondering how some 15K SAS drives work. You can get a 74GB for around $410, lol.

probably a lot better than the raptors because they dont use sata1, the interface doesnt bottleneck the access time as much...

i think ill do a fresh reformat, and bench it then... and then once i get my second 80gb do another fresh reformat, and see what the performance differences are.

fade2green514

now that i finally have my internet back-

this is my dads 60gig (ata somethin or other)
HDTune2.jpg

this is my single 80gig sata2 8mb buffer (western digital)
hdbench.jpg

and this is dual 80gig in RAID 0 (32kb stripe)
RAID0.jpg

haha nice, i doubled my bandwidth with absolutely no penalty on the latency. :D

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
probably a lot better than the raptors because they dont use sata1, the interface doesnt bottleneck the access time as much...
The interface speed isn't bottlenecking a raptor. Not even close.

MatrixEVO

Here is my benchmark. I have a Hitachi Deskstar 250GB SATAII:

I am using the Antec P180 case and it separates the hard drive into its own channel for cooling along with the PSU at the other end of the case. I have a fan that blows air right past the HDD and to the rear of the case. I think this is why I have a good temp (29c after benchmark).

Last edited:

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Just to show the difference from SATA150 and SATA300. This is the same model drive as Omega had but was run on the faster interface.

untitledjy4.png