Hard drive prices ! Whats going on ?

jamesd1981

Has anyone else noticed the huge jump in price of brand new hard drives in the last few days on sites like ebuyer, scan etc.

only a couple of weeks ago i bought a new seagate barracuda 2tb sata 3 hard drive and it only cost £60, on browsing ebuyer the other day the cheapest sata 3 hard drive was £70 for a small 320gb barracuda.

after then browsing all standards of hard drive this seems to be the case across all of them, why such a huge increase, i can understand due to recent troubles maybe a bit of a rise but surely that level of jump can not be justified ?

http://www.ebuyer.com/search?sort=pricelow&store=33&cat=392&filtersubcat=3265&limit=10&page=1

strollin

Not really new news, widespread flooding in Thailand has shutdown several HDD manufacturing plants as well as component suppliers.

jamesd1981

This is probably the excuse they have been looking for, now that the prices have gone up you wont ever get them back down even when things return to normal, thats how it always works.

Okedokey

Yeah, however the above relies on price fixing/collusion, which is very detectable and illegal. Someone will always undercut. This example is simply supply and demand.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
£70 for a Western Digital 250Gb 16mb cache...they must be crazy if they think people will pay this kind of money.

jamesd1981

Do you think the price of used hard drives i.e. ebay etc will go up, or could used hard drives turn into a real money saver ?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What do you think of this... maybe because more users are getting SSD drives instead of regular hdd's now?

jamesd1981

What do you think of this... maybe because more users are getting SSD drives instead of regular hdd's now?

It could be john, actually on looking at it so far the price of the solid state drives have stayed the same and maybe actually a bit lower :)

I bought a 60gb ocz vertex about a year ago and it was around £100, but on the same site again ebuyer, you can now get one as cheap as £60

http://www.ebuyer.com/search?sort=pricelow&store=33&cat=385&limit=10&page=1

It could be this will cause a real rise in the amount of people buying ssd`s, especially if they already have a large hdd for file storage

PohTayToez

I was wondering WTF was up.

I normally buy 320GB 2.5" SATA drives all the time at $50-$60 for a WD Blue. Now they're like $80-$90 and the only hard drives that are lower have bad reviews.

Aastii

VIP Member
12th October, bought a WD Caviar Blue 500GB for a customer for £25.82

If I were to buy the same drive today - £87 :p

So glad I'm not in the market for a hard drive right now. It does, however, pretty much stop all system building jobs because no bugger will pay that much for a relatively weak system (given the price) because the hard drive is pushing up the total so damn much

Gareth

I was thinking about swapping out this 250GB hard drive in my laptop for a 500GB 7200rpm.... Ill put that plan on hold then!

DMGrier

VIP Member
If I do anything anymore it is going to be with the SSD, Had one in my Dell mini 9 and if you read what the perks are to them HDD is a downgrade. Thinking about putting a SSD in my Vaio.

I am going to say the flood and not to mention the holidays are coming up and it is a bad time time to fall behind production.

CrazyMike

I see it as an economy thing. Like anything in the economy, prices will always rise and fall. I would guess that in the future the prices of HDD will come down, but still have a higher price tag then before. SSD prices will fall as technology advances. If both of these happens, the price of HDD will fall dramatically lower than prices before hand. None of which will happen for a while. In the short future, i see the price of HDD will drop from current prices, but not by much.