Hard drive prices ! Whats going on ?

claptonman

The economy didn't make hard drives jump twice as much in prices. Something had to happen to make them jump, and it was the flood.

User0one

Just bought a Western Digital 2TB drive for $95.00. Seems to be about what I paid a year ago for the same drive.

4NGU$

VIP Member
not amused about this :/ this is the only thing that is pushing my new build over budget
probably just going to get a small (60-80gb) SSD and keep using my External drive until this calms down

jamesd1981

Thats the problem, it probably wont calm down, it doesn`t matter if there was a genuine reason for the jump, it will be just like,fuel, energy etc, once the price goes up it never goes back down by any significant amount.

Last edited:

billabong27

2TB Barracuda

If you have a Best Buy near you they might be able to order that for you and ship it to your house...be warned all of them are going to be on back order and take an extra week or two. I ordered my 3TB drive last week for 180 from the buy, but it said it would take an extra week or two to ship.

4NGU$

VIP Member
Yeah, dam those Thai people, selfish floods

was thinking more like stupid trade system, relying so heavily on so few countries that have a very poor infrastructure :rolleyes:

Prices are yo-yoing on ebuyer I've had some items in my basket for the last few days and each day the price of the HDD is different by about £5 each way :confused:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Was just talking to Bobby (Vroom_Skies) about this last night. Hopefully prices will go back down after the flood; otherwise it'll make me stop buying new hardware. Though for primary drives, SSD's will almost be worth it.

Okedokey

was thinking more like stupid trade system, relying so heavily on so few countries that have a very poor infrastructure :rolleyes:

No country's infrastructure will be able to withstand such floods. Thailand is actually the 2nd largest exporter after China. :rolleyes: Hurricane Katrina anyone? Doesn't really matter what country it happens in.

StrangleHold

Staff member
SSD could go either way. Could raise prices to take advantage, or lower prices to make them more popular and take a hit on overhead but make it up in volume.

Okedokey

^ Agreed.

Those that don't need uber space will probably opt for a 120GB drive SSD and those that percieve they need a 2TB drive will pay through the rectum.

4NGU$

VIP Member
No country's infrastructure will be able to withstand such floods. Thailand is actually the 2nd largest exporter after China. :rolleyes: Hurricane Katrina anyone? Doesn't really matter what country it happens in.

was thinking more that spreading the production to other nations ;) hell we could even have things made in our own country... :rolleyes: