Hard drive prices ! Whats going on ?

WeatherMan

I managed to get extremely lucky.

My mum's hard drive in her laptop recently took a dump, I've been scratching my head as to where to pick up a cheap one for a few weeks now.

Finally found a brand new 250GB Seagate (SATA/2.5") for £40 on Amazon.co.uk! The cheapest on Ebuyer right now is around £60, and that's for a 160GB IIRC. :rolleyes:

Okay so its not just me! I was on newegg and the 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 that i bought for 59.99 is now 159.99! Glad I bought it when I did. Don't know whats causing this but hopefully things get back to normal.

If I knew this was gonna happen I would stocked up on them and undercut the new prices!

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Okay so its not just me! I was on newegg and the 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 that i bought for 59.99 is now 159.99! Glad I bought it when I did. Don't know whats causing this but hopefully things get back to normal.

If I knew this was gonna happen I would stocked up on them and undercut the new prices!

Dude thats only like 2.5x over priced

Flooding in Southern Asia

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/11/15/nation/9905701&sec=nation

CrazyMike

Just a note:

In my area HDD prices have increase dramatically, yet SSD prices have dropped. Average drop is approx $50 - $100 cheaper. This has been affected in the past 2 months. Prices have seem to get lower and lower.

Eg. Corsiar Force Series Sata III 120GB - was $256 now $200

voyagerfan99

Staff member

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Off topic question:

I am at work, i try to click the link you provided yet an access denied page comes up (mainly cause we are highly restricted on which site we can go to). Yet i can surf newegg site all i want. Why and how is the link not working?

Might be because this is newegg.com and not newegg.ca?

Try this one:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...k=Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC064MAG-1G1 2.5"

Thats the one I have except I bought it at Tigerdirect during the summer. It's an awesome drive.

However, I'm upgrading to the 128gb M4 drive really soon though.

How much did you pay for it over the summer?

Mosely22

2yrs for prices to be the same? i don't think it will be that long bro, 2yrs from now they should have much more than 3tb external hard drive's available.....well, at least hopefully! have to love technology!

voyagerfan99

Staff member
2yrs for prices to be the same? i don't think it will be that long bro, 2yrs from now they should have much more than 3tb external hard drive's available.....well, at least hopefully! have to love technology!

Well we won't really know.

Mosely22

Well we won't really know.

true, i would just imagine that in a couple years from now there will be bigger hard drives......my buddy ordered a hitachi 3tb ehd 2 weeks ago and paid $119.99 for it! insaneeee. i told him about the floods and he was so happy he got his a couple of weeks ago. wish i did, lol

Mosely22

Not only are prices going up, but quality is going down. I bought a bunch of "NEW" HDDs for the machine I am building, then ran "TESTHDD" on them. 1 wasn't recognized by the bios, 1 had fairly bad sector damage all over the drive, 1 had solid minor sector damage from one end to the other of the drive, 1 was good with only a little minor sector damage, 1 was good except that it had fairly bad sector damage at the back of the drive, 2 were good except that they had a much lower read speed that the other 2 good ones, ETC. NOT A GOOD TIME TO BE BUYING HDDs!!

where can i use the "TestHDD" program?? i think i saw it on here somewhere, but i can't remember where i saw it..