HDD/SSD Drive Speed Thread

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Results on the drives in my Laptop.

cwf0QcT.png

Qs3heVO.png

Not sure what the point of the MSata drive in this laptop is for,As i can install windows to it but it cannot boot from this drive,Neither does it show up as a bootable hard drive to select in the BIOS...only the Hitachi so i cant actually use it as a bootable SSD to run windows from,Only as storage.
:cool:

Also,I think one of my Vertex 2 drives has failed this morning,It wont boot and in my raid settings it says its failed..going to take them out and test them both with SSD Life...hopefully if one has failed i can RMA.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
My data is being backed up right now and I took a look at the speed of the data transfer and the biggest transfer WRITE speed it gets is ONLY 5.4 MB/sec lmao!

xD !!!

This is on a pure HDDs 7200 RPM (both of them) connected through USB.
No RAMDISK or anything like that was used. :p

Wow...only 5.4 MB/sec...and you guys get 90 or 100 or even more lmao!

Now that's a HUGE difference... xD!!!

spirit

Staff member
Finally got my Samsung 840 Evo. :)

ov4vW4c.png

Wow! That's quick! I will test the Crucial M4 and the SanDisk Extreme 240GB soon and then update the leaderboards!

Would be great to get some more scores, especially from those with SSDs!

spirit

Staff member
Crucial M4 scores on 6GB/s. I remember this drive reading quickly but writing relatively slowly compared to some of the newer SSDs which I've used.

Crucialm4_zps216686a8.png

Here is how the SanDisk Extreme 240GB fared. Seems it also writes slower than most of the drives out there. It's an old screenshot, but it is genuine so I just wrote my details to the left and put today's date on it.

SanDiskExtreme_zps4058c375.jpg

The leaderboards will be updated shortly.

Would be nice to get even more results! :good:

Last edited:

PCunicorn

Crucial M4 scores on 6GB/s. I remember this drive reading quickly but writing relatively slowly compared to some of the newer SSDs which I've used.

Crucialm4_zps216686a8.png

Here is how the SanDisk Extreme 240GB fared. Seems it also writes slower than most of the drives out there. It's an old screenshot, but it is genuine so I just wrote my details to the left and put today's date on it.

SanDiskExtreme_zps4058c375.jpg

The leaderboards will be updated shortly.

Would be nice to get even more results! :good:

Rule breaker! How do we know it's genuine? It could be stolen off the internet. I don't care if you are a "VIP Member" with 12,000 posts and it's your own thre... yeah I guess you don't need to prove it do you :p

spirit

Staff member
Rule breaker! How do we know it's genuine? It could be stolen off the internet. I don't care if you are a "VIP Member" with 12,000 posts and it's your own thre... yeah I guess you don't need to prove it do you :p

Haha. :p It's not nicked off the internet, it is genuinely a drive which I've tested and those are the scores which I got. :)

I've fixed the write speed leaderboard and put a new graph up for the write speeds. The read speed leaderboard and graph looks fine to me, so I must have managed to mess the write speed leaderboard up yesterday. :/

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Oh man...you people are getting so great speeds.
I wish I can have that ability so I don't have to wait for my data to get transfered for DAYS!!!!!!!!!! :eek:
Not to mention that my last data backup process I performed took almost 2 days to finish lmao!
I admit it had more than 500000 files to copy,but still...

spirit

Staff member
Ran Crystal Disk on the hard drive in my secondary PC with the E6300. Turns out it's a 160GB Hitachi Deskstar.

deskstar_zps96be9163.png

spirit

Staff member
Anybody else got any other drives to bench? I've run out of drives to bench I think!

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Crystal Disk mark does not play nice with my OCZ Solid,It shows super low performance score...at first thought my SSD was faulty but when testing it with ATTO i get near enough the OCZ Solids specs,So i didn't post the score...must be something to do with Crystaldisk mark. :confused:

I'm about to install Windows 8.1 to my Laptop though which has a OCZ Vertex 2,Will post that up when its ready.

Come on guys post them benchmarks!

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
My primary and secondary drives in my desktop.

yyiq.jpg

jefo.jpg

Last edited:

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Also with rapid mode enabled...nice little feature. :)

jFOPppO.png

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
'Samsung Magician' - great name for software! ;)

And crikey those speeds are impressive!

I will be updating the leaderboard before or on Sunday 10th by the way.