Help! Do I need to upgrade my pc??

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
i know this might be a dumb question
The dumb questions are those that arent asked :)

what is the differences between a video card and a graphic card???
Their spelling and pronunciation :p Both terms represent the same physical device :)

marquita188

back to upgrading my pc, I want to know more about installing more optical drives and hard drives?

like having 5 or more hard drives + 5 optical drives?

with do I need
RAID Controller card,
IDE Controller card,
PCI ATA adapter with 2 IDE ports? do I need more/less? :confused:

how do I go about installing these cards to drives?

I'm really new at this :confused:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
like having 5 or more hard drives + 5 optical drives?
I can understand the HDDs but, 5 more opticals?

with do I need
RAID Controller card,
IDE Controller card,
PCI ATA adapter with 2 IDE ports? do I need more/less?
You should be fine with that as each controller supports 4 devices (unless you get a fancy RAID5 card or something like that) :)

how do I go about installing these cards to drives?
Put the card in the PCI slot, attatch the drives to the controllers, enjoy :)

marquita188

DK999k said:
I would also like to say thank you to the person who started this topic. I did a google search for info about my mobo, which lead me to this topic which then lead me to this forum.

well, you welcome :D

marquita188

Praetor said:
I can understand the HDDs but, 5 more opticals?

You should be fine with that as each controller supports 4 devices (unless you get a fancy RAID5 card or something like that) :)

Put the card in the PCI slot, attatch the drives to the controllers, enjoy :)

what about adding the hard drives??
i want to know everything there is to know about adding hard drives and optical drives

Yeti

VIP Member
Both the optical drives and hard drives are connected the same way - connect the IDE cable to the drive and the motherboard/PCI controller (each cable can connect with two hard drives and/or optical drives). You might run into a problem with having a big enough power supply or having enough power connectors (4 pin molex).

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
what about adding the hard drives??
i want to know everything there is to know about adding hard drives and optical drives
People add HDDs all the time for space (hell i just popped two more drives in myself), but not often do people need 5 optical drives.

marquita188

Praetor said:
People add HDDs all the time for space (hell i just popped two more drives in myself), but not often do people need 5 optical drives.

well, i have this pc case that has 6 optical drive bays..

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Ya... that's just the case... i thought you meant actuall drives :) (most people dont have a need for 6 optical drives hence my query)

:)