Help! Forgot LinkSys router password and User ID

That would be great if you guys could tell me the settings, LinkSys customer support aren't that great.

I use a WRT54G router hooked up to a cable modem. There is another computer in the living room with a WUSB54G wireless USB network adapter hooked up to it. I only have these 2 computers who need the internet in my house.

Also - The reason I'm doing this is to open a port in the firewall for a game I just installed. Most games like Battlefield 2, America's Army, and Counter Strike just work fine out of the box but Flight Simulator has different priorities. Why would this be happening?

Last edited:
Er, when I connected my router to the internet no signal came to either the computer using the ethernet cable or the one using the network adapter, so I'm not sure how I would tell you what is wrong.

The computer gets no internet connection at all through the router but when I plug in the cable modem it works fine. I tried the CD software and it says "Could not find a modem connected to the router, try turning the modem off and on again".

Trizoy

VIP Member
Ok, follow these steps... We will get you logged into your router.

-Press the button on the back of the router, hold it down for 3 seconds (reset button/Will delete all settings back to default)

-Plug in an ethernet cord from your PC to your ROUTER
..Go to start, Run, Type CMD <press enter>, then in the Dos window type IPCONFIG. Write down the ip address which is listed by default gateway. (whis is the IP address of the router)

-Go to internet explorer and type in //192.168.0.1 (the local ip address you wrote down)

This will connected you to the router/ Did that work? Or when you used ipconfig did you get a local ip of 0.0.0.0? If you did not get a good local ip one of your cords, or PORTS is dusty or damaged. If it doesnt connect, you may be using a cross over cable (which looks the same as a Ethernet cable, but it is not).

Trizoy

VIP Member
MisterBubbles said:
The Default Gateway says..

Default Gateway ............................ 192.168.1.1

Is that good?

Yes now type //192.168.1.1 in internet explorer, it will connect you to the router... Did that work?

Trizoy

VIP Member
Well all setting have been deleted from the router. no computer should be able to get internet...

But, have you tried entering the information for the router to connect to the ISP?
For cable you either have to enter the hostname, or just click a radio button saying it is a cable connection. Then you enable wireless, with a wep key (for security) Make a password on the router (One that is easy to remember). Even if you use the default login, make up a number... like your bank pin combined with the last 4 numbers of ssn or something.

Then enter the ports for your game.

Any questions?

The living room computer will re connect in a min.

Trizoy, thanks alot for your help and sorry for my questions. :)

Where do I find the hostname so that I tell it that it's a cable connection?

Is the WEP key like a CDKey? Is it supposed to be on the back of my software manual or something? Will the WEP keys on both computers have to match?

This time, I'll set the password to something I can remember.

Trizoy

VIP Member
The hostname is only used by a few ISP's... Just click next if it asks for it. (leave it blank).

To setup the connection do this.

Setup (tab), The drop down menu select DHCP Configuration

Under Router name call it anything
Hostname:Blank
Domain Name: Blank

Leave the rest defaults.(set the time to your zone GMT?)

Now your router should be setup to work over the ethernet cords.

To setup the wireless portion go to the wireless tab.
-Select mixed for wireless mode
-SSID:Call it anything (this is what you will see when searching for the wireless signal)
-Channel: Default is 11, change it is you find the phone or bluetooth interfering with it.
-Enable ssaid broadcast (so you can see the signal for a wireless connection)

Fore WEP KEY (secret passcode which allows you to connect to the router for internet access) go to security (tab)
-Select WEP and type in a passphrase (you must remember)
I always use something easy. "I eat pizza on friday"

Anyway, hope it works out easy. If you need the manula here it is...

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...roductDownloadSearch&sp_prodsku=1115416825557

I followed your settings but the computers do not connect to the internet, and also I cannot find where to put in the WEP key. I think I need to put in a Host or Domain name, I don't know what it is, though.

Last edited:

Trizoy

VIP Member
Wep is for security... it is under the security tab. Does the router connect to the internet... Worry about that first.

Yes, the blinky light called "Internet" is green, but when I go to a website it doesn't work, so I have to direct connect via the cable modem to my PC to write these messages.