Help! Forgot LinkSys router password and User ID

Trizoy

VIP Member
MisterBubbles said:
Yes, the blinky light called "Internet" is green, but when I go to a website it doesn't work, so I have to direct connect via the cable modem to my PC to write these messages.

The internet light is supposed to be solid. Try resarting your modem, router and the computer plugged into it all at once. Then see if it is reconnected.

Sorry, it stays solid, I'm not good with electronics and I call little dots of lights "blinky lights" because they look like LED's (which blink).

Trizoy

VIP Member
If the light for internet is solid the router is getting the connection fine.

When you plug your computer into the router, does the internet work? Or are you trying to use wireless?

Oh, I misunderstood you. The internet light on the cable modem stays solid, but the internet light on the router blinks really fast for 2 or so seconds, then stays solid for a couple, and blinks again. The "Ethernet number 1" light stays solid, but the computer doesn't go to a website through the router's ethernet cord. It used to blink like that before I reset and it worked fine, so I'm guessing this is normal.

PS - Thanks alot!

Last edited:

Trizoy

VIP Member
Ok an internet light on either a router or modem will blink when it is having connection issues. If the light blinks for more than 5 seconds it is not connected. If it is solid, then blinks twice it is just working out some issues. When you hook your pc up to the cable modem do you have any special settings, or do you just switch the cable? If only the cable is switched, you will not have to specify a hostname, and the ip address will be automatic. Which I told you to select in a n earlier post... Has this been done?

If this has been, and you are still not connected i want to see your settings of the router. To do this open the router settings and go to the setup window where it shows the settings. Press alt + printscreen

Right click on your desktop and select new, either a bmp or jpeg file. When it si created right click the file and select edit. When the program opens press ctrl + v (paste). Save the file.

Upload the file to Image shack http://www.imageshack.us/ and drop the link in this window.

Please answer the question above, dont just assume I know..

Also, ill be back in about an hour, so you have some time.

Last edited:
167jiab.jpg

I just switch the cables, no special settings.

Just to let you know, after posting this I turned off my computer, connected the cable modem to the router, and connected the router to the computer. The lights were like this:

Power - Light. WLAN - Light. Ethernet 1 - Light. Internet - Light.

I went to my network connections and it said, "Connected, Firewalled". The internet would not work. I type this via my cable modem connected to my bedroom computer.

Last edited:
UPDATE -- I checked the IPConfig before I reset the router. I checked IPconfig with the router plugged in and it said, "Media Disconnected".

Trizoy

VIP Member
ok im back... So when the router is directly connected to the pc with the ethernet cord (for more than 2-3 min) it says media disconnected?

Right click my network places, select properties. Right click the lan or high speed connection whatevr it is called, and select properties. When the window open under the protocols installed there is a tcp/ip. Highlight it, and select the properties button. Do the properties list any ip address or gateway or anything? It is supposed to be assigned automatically. (I think) If it does have a specific number in there, write it down.

Oops, I checked IPConfig when nothing was connected to the computer.. It says the 192.168 thing when it's connected to the router but with the cable modem something like 24.215.

There were no IP's in the TCP/Ip section (with router connected) because it said "Obtain automatically".

I just checked the cable modem with it also and it said "Obtain Automatically" and like the router, the text boxes were greyed out.

I should never have reset, this is too much trouble for what it is worth. :( Wish there was an undo button in life.

Last edited:
My IPconfig thing is like this.

Cable modem:
Connection specific DNS suffix - earthlink.net
IP Address - 24.215.246.131
Subnet Mask - 255.255.254.0
Default Gateway - 24.215.246.1

Router
Connection Specific DNS suffix - blank
Ip address - 192.168.1.1
And then I think the other two are like 192.168.1.100

Trizoy

VIP Member
So the ethernet cords are all hooked up fine.

Try hooking your computer to the router. Then restart the router modem and computer. After about 5 min of the computer being on, check to see if there is a internet connection (yahoo.com)

I turned the modem off, reset the router, and restarted my computer. I let it sit for 5 minutes and came back but it wouldn't connect to any webpage.

way2evil

go into that gateway and look for lan settings or status. its probably under status. look for an IP address. right down the first 2 blocks. for instance if its 67.202.131.87 right down 67.202.xxx.xx this way we know you have the right address.

It WORKED!! I am now connected to the internet via ROUTER!!!

I love you Way2Evil and Tizroy. I'll post back if I need help with wireless.

timothyb89

MisterBubbles said:
Actually I'm pretty sure if I knew my settings it would take 5 minutes but I don't.

I know nothing about home networking, anyways I'll do this resetting thing when I don't mind having a headache for the rest of the day (LinkSys's crappy customer support).

Hehe. I can totally agree. I wasn't able to even use my home network until they updated my router's firmware, which took a year. Their support people hardly know what they are doing, and they just tell to use their auto configuration software, which doesn't work. It's FINALLY working, though.

Adam135

Ah now I love ther cus support, I always get the call center in india and they know sweet S*$£ all. I ended up telling them what to do.

The once told me that the router had failed and it would need repair.....I fiddiled around with the settings and it worked.

All most as good as AOL!

Ah AOL!

way2evil

not as bad as hp.

my computer runs slow....reformat
my computer dosennt work...reformat
my cd drive dosentwork...reformat
i wnat to password my pc...reformat
my mouse dosent work...reformat

seriously everything i called about the guy told me do a repair instal