HELP! Need help with building a PC!

rishmace

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor £173.94

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler £25.18

MOBO: Asus P8Z77-V PRO ATX LGA1155 Motherboard £152.12

Ram: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory £64.53

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £80.63

Case: Corsair 650D ATX Mid Tower Case £136.38

Graphics card: Nvidea GTX 570 (getting this for my birthday)

Power Supply: XFX 850W XXX Edition Modular '80 Plus Silver' Power Supply £99.98

Total: £732.76

Hi this is what I have so far, I want a Gaming PC and i suppose my budget is £800 but preferably around £700. I think i will SLI in the near future, by the way i'm just wondering(noob:)) if you SLI graphics card can you use just one monitor?
Also what is the difference between the motherboard i listed and the Gigabyte Z77X-D3H Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard. I have a perfectly fine optical drive(not the best but fine), i have a good monitor 22" and FullHD and LED. I already have an OS, it is windows 7 ultimate 64bit. I just want the the 16GB ram so that is a defo and i might do some video redering and perhaps some video capturing using camstasia. I'm gonna get the GTX 570 as a gift and i am wondering if i can SLI a GTX 570 and a GTX 580 and what is the difference between the GTX 580/570 OEM and the retail, they are both refurbs i think by OCs?
580 OEM :
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-160-OK&groupid=701&catid=1914&subcat=2077
570 OEM :
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-162-OK&groupid=701&catid=1914&subcat=2077

I think i might want an SSD but i dont know.
Also i am going to overclock the CPU and should i overclock the GPU? Also because of this should i get a much better cooling system. Should i get liquid cooling or just normal fans? I want everything to stay pretty cool inside.

spirit

Staff member
Everything looks cool to me! Very nice build you've got planned there. :D

You can only run one monitor if you have SLI mode enabled yes, sadly. :(

There isn't much difference between the ASUS and Gigabyte board you said about. I've used Gigabyte's GA-Z77X-UD5H board, it's great, so by going on the strength on that board, I'd so go for the Gigabyte!

Everything looks cool though, you going to OC the 3570K?

rishmace

WOW thanks for the quick reply and i'm quite sure i will overclock the CPU perhaps to 4.5GHz if that is safe and stable. Also is overclocking the GPU safe? I am willing to pay upto £150 for the MOBO as i don't want a bad one but if I can get a good one for cheaper i will buy that. Is Gigabyte Z77X-D3H Intel Z77 better or worse than your one and btw what is the difference between the Mini ATX and the Normal ATX despite the obvious.
Also i kinda want the SLI to work on one Monitor :) so if i buy two graphics card i can use it on one monitor? Just to make sure i understood :)

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
4.5GHz should be OK with the 212+ - I've got my 2500K (the i5 which came before the 3570K) at 4.3GHz and it is rock solid at 1.1v or so (I forget what voltage now) so I'd say the same could be done to a 3570K.

Overclocking the GPU is safe but the same sort of logic applies to the GPU as the CPU - don't go crazy on the stock cooler. You can buy aftermarket GPU coolers but some of the cards already come with aftermarket cooling. Which 570 are you getting for your bday hopefully?

The UD5H is a good board, it's not my board, it's my Dad's (I have an ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3, awesome board, but it uses an older chipset - Z68) and the U3H is also good. The UD5H has more features than the U3H but the UD5H is around £160 IIRC, the U3H is much cheaper and will have everything you need and more.

The Mini ATX/Micro ATX boards have less features than the ATX boards and they are smaller and run hotter. I try to avoid them if I can. I used to have an mATX board and I hated it. If you have a two- or three-slot graphics card they tend to cover up SATA ports on the smaller boards, kind of a pain if I'm honest.

Yes you can use one monitor with two graphics cards, but you cannot run two monitors off one NVIDIA graphics card. This is where AMD are better, you can use Eyefinity with the Radeons, but as you already want a 570 and the 570 is a great card I'm not going to suggest you change it.

rishmace

Thank you for the reply big help. So i think i will get the Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H Intel Z77 motherboard. But could you perhaps list the biggest differences between the UD3H and the UD5H.
Also it says it has these expansion slots.
1 x PCI Express x16 slots, running at x16
1 x PCI Express x16 slots, running at x8
1 x PCI Express x16 slots, running at x4
What is the difference between "running at x16, x8, x4"?

So has the GTX 570 got a good cooler and what would you recommend a good speed to OC to and it still be very stable and safe. Also would you suggest i buy any extra fans or better heat-sink for the CPU as i don't know if the one i listed is any good as the temp will rise when i overclock and i don't want anything to get too hot.

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
The biggest difference is that the UD5H has dual gigabit LAN whereas the U3H does not, all that means is that there are two ethernet ports on the UD5H, and only one on the U3H. You don't really need two anyway. The UD5H has a couple more USB 3.0 ports and SATA 6GB/s ports, but other than that they are very similar. I'd get the U3H and save yourself a ton of money.

The U3H can support up to three single-GPU cards or two dual-GPU cards, so it has 3 PCI Express slots on the board right. Each one runs at a different speed. The top port runs at x16 speed (that is the full speed/bandwidth), the middle one at 8x, and the bottom one at 4x. If you're going to be using one card, you want to install the graphics card into the PCI Express 2.0/3.0 x16 slot to get the best performance. If you're going to be using two in SLI, you want one in the x16 slot and one in the x8 slot ideally, but when you SLI two NVIDIA cards, both cards will only run at x8 speed I think, or they both run at x4 if the other card is in x4. You may want to check me up on that, but I think that's how it works.

It depends which GTX 570 you're going for. Some use the NVIDIA reference coolers which are OK for overclocking but probably not the best, and some use aftermarket coolers which are going to be much better. A GTX 570 with an aftermarket cooler such as this MSI Twin Frozr III card http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/...agtx570fermiseries/n570gtxtwinfrozriiioc.html will be better to overclock with than this EVGA 570 which is using a reference cooler http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/...s/nvidiagtx570fermiseries/012-p3-1571-kr.html basically just don't crazy with the OC and monitor your temperatures and you'll be good to go. I have limited experience with overclocking graphics cards, but I once overclocked an MSI Twin Frozr II GTX 560 Ti using the included MSI Afterburner software and it was really easy to overclock, so I'd probably recommend the MSI cards for overclocking. Another nice thing is that the Twin Frozr coolers are only two slots, some of the other solutions are three slots.

rishmace

spirit

Staff member
You can't SLI a GTX 570 and 580 together, you have to use the same GPU. You'd have to use two 570s. The clockspeeds don't matter, but the GPU itself must be the same. Two 570s are going to give you some awesome performance though!

I'd imagine the OEM cards do not come with any accessories, that's usually the way. I'd only buy expensive stuff like this from trusted brands though. EVGA, MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte, they're all good brands to buy NVIDIA products from. :)

rishmace

Thanks so i should stay away from the oem i mentioned and just use the branded ones, i think i will get the MSI one for my birthday, thank you so much for showing me that one:).

rishmace

So here is my updated build.
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor £173.94

Case: Corsair 650D ATX Mid Tower Case £136.38

PSU: XFX 850W XXX Edition Modular '80 Plus Silver' Power Supply £99.98

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £80.63

CPU Cooler: Akasa AK-CC4007EP01 Nero 3 CPU Cooler (Socket LGA775/1155/1156/1366/2011/AMD AM2/AM2+/AM3/FM1) £23.99

RAM: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory £64.53

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard £119.98

Total: £701.42(£1.99 shipping)

I think i want a better CPU Cooler though any recommendations?

spirit

Staff member
I'd definitely recommend the MSI Twin Frozr card. They're beautiful cards and they look awesome, and they are also good for overclocking with the included software. :)

I'd stay away from non-branded stuff, always best to buy from a good brand. :)

I have the Freezer 13 on my 2500K and it's a great cooler, just a little... umm... big?? :D http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/cooling/cpucoolers/f13.html or you could go for a Hyper 212+ http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/cooling/rr-212e-16pk-r1.html either one of those coolers would be good. :)

If you want to see some photos of the size of the Freezer 13, check out some pics of my PC here http://www.computerforum.com/9727-post-pic-your-pc-here-912.html#post1766847 you can see how big the CPU cooler is in comparison to everything else. :D

Last edited:

rishmace

LOL thanks, which would you say is better tbh i just want a better one will it fit in a MID tower? Would that support 4.5GHz OC and run it under 50degrees or am i asking for too much?

Last edited:

claptonman

70c would be fine for 4.5ghz, nothing to worry about. 60c would be good temps, under load. But your case is very, very good.

Not that I don't love my 570 to death, it only has 1.25gb of vRam, which 1080p resolutions will use all of it. At that price point, I'd get a 7850/70.

rishmace

Thanks for the reply, but tbh i prefer Nvidea to AMD and I have much more knowledge on it than AMD(ATI). If i SLI them will the vram increase? Also could you tell me SLI in a nutshell i've got a vague idea but not very good.

claptonman

No, it will still only use the 1.25GB. They do make 2GB version, but they are a little more expensive.

And the 670s should come out soonish, and may match 570s performance with more vram.

rishmace

WOW i dont think i will buy thats it costs around £320, would you suggest the 570 SLI and will that run any game?

rishmace

Actually the 660 ti is around £150 that is very cheap.
Are there any cheap cards you would recommend because i want to buy the 660 ti which will come out in july but me and my friend are going to play some games over summer such as borderlands 1, portal 2 and WAW zombies. Is there any cheap graphics card that will run that? and will i beable to keep both the graphics card you recommend and the 660 ti together but not SLI for example the 660 ti in the x16 and the one you recommend in the x8 slot then when i buy another 660 ti put those in the x16 and x8 and the one you recommend in the the x4 or should i take it out?

Last edited: