HELP! Need help with building a PC!

claptonman

You can't run multiple GPUs without SLI/CF.

Well, since SLI/CF is the act of running multiple GPUs...

Actually the 660 ti is around £150 that is very cheap.
Are there any cheap cards you would recommend because i want to buy the 660 ti which will come out in july but me and my friend are going to play some games over summer such as borderlands 1, portal 2 and WAW zombies. Is there any cheap graphics card that will run that? and will i beable to keep both the graphics card you recommend and the 660 ti together but not SLI for example the 660 ti in the x16 and the one you recommend in the x8 slot then when i buy another 660 ti put those in the x16 and x8 and the one you recommend in the the x4 or should i take it out?

For Nvidia, the cards have to be the same exact ones.

A 5870 or 5770/6770 or 450/550ti should handle those games easily. Should be able to find some cheap on ebay. Then after you get the new one, throw it up on craigslist and it should be sold quick, if you live near a largish city.

azeem40

Well, since SLI/CF is the act of running multiple GPUs...

For Nvidia, the cards have to be the same exact ones.

A 5870 or 5770/6770 or 450/550ti should handle those games easily. Should be able to find some cheap on ebay. Then after you get the new one, throw it up on craigslist and it should be sold quick, if you live near a largish city.

Yeah, and even you know they need to be the same GPU and have the same number of cores...

spirit

Staff member
For SLI, you will need an 850W PSU. Get the Radeon 7850 as it is comparable performance for cheaper.
The PSU he is looking at should be fine for SLI.

Actually the 660 ti is around £150 that is very cheap.
Are there any cheap cards you would recommend because i want to buy the 660 ti which will come out in july but me and my friend are going to play some games over summer such as borderlands 1, portal 2 and WAW zombies. Is there any cheap graphics card that will run that? and will i beable to keep both the graphics card you recommend and the 660 ti together but not SLI for example the 660 ti in the x16 and the one you recommend in the x8 slot then when i buy another 660 ti put those in the x16 and x8 and the one you recommend in the the x4 or should i take it out?
The Radeon 6850 or the GTX 550 Ti are around £100 and will play those games. The Radeon 5870s are also very cheap on eBay now. I got mine last week for £100 and it can max out all my games at 1080p with ease.

Yep, as I said, I got my 5870 on eBay for £100 and it maxes out my games at 1080p with no problems. :) For £100 I don't think I could have done better.

rishmace

You can't run multiple GPUs without SLI/CF.

BTW i didn't mean to SLI the 660 ti and the one you recommend, only the other 660 ti which i might buy together or after my first 660 ti.
Also is the 550 ti worth buying for just now, i will discard it when i buy the 660 ti? It will cost me £100 and it is an ASUS one is that any good. I'm not going to overclock it.

spirit

Staff member
I'd just wait until the 660 Ti comes out and buy that, you'll save yourself money in the long run. You could do what I did and use the onboard/integrated video until you could afford a proper card. It's only a month or so to wait.

rishmace

Is the intergrated graphics able to handle the games i suggested with no problem? if so i will use that my board is the UD3H?

spirit

Staff member
The integrated graphics care OK, you probably won't be able to play games on them though. :( I couldn't on mine, which is why I went and bought a second hand 5870 from eBay. I reckon you should do the same, get a cheap, used 5870 from eBay for say £100. It's a fantastic card. :)

rishmace

ok thanks need to go school now i have an english exam :( god damn GCSEs when i come home i will look for a cheap 5870, thanks for all the help.

rishmace

Actually i've decided to buy a GTX 670, that should run about any game at max settings on an i5 core 3570k with 16 gb ram and over clocked to 4.5GHz right? monitor is 1080p and 22" don't know the res.

rishmace

Thanks what PSU should i get(wattage wise aswell)? I;m not going to SLI and i will be on it all day sometimes leave it on for a week or so but not always gaming. More information?

jonnyp11

Anything from corsair, antec, xfx, nzxt, silverstone, seasonic, or pc power & cooling with at least 650w will do the job, modular would be good to reduce clutter and if you are going to use it alot then investing in a 80+ platinum rated power supply might be smart, it will use less power to output the same amount.

rishmace

Hey guys can some one help me im buying a Nvidea GTX 670 GPU
a i5 3570k (going to overclock to 4.5GHz)
LED lights
corsair h100 cpu cooler
gigabyte Z77X UD5H mobo
2tb HHD
128gb i fink SSD
16gb ram
and corsair 650d case, what good moduar psu should i buy that wont explode? Model name please?

spirit

Staff member
The OCZ ModXStream modular PSUs are pretty good for the money. Corsair also make some nice ones. I'll find them for you in a bit.

Which SSD are you going for?

Benny Boy

Hey guys can some one help me im buying a Nvidea GTX 670 GPU
a i5 3570k (going to overclock to 4.5GHz)
LED lights
corsair h100 cpu cooler
gigabyte Z77X UD5H mobo
2tb HHD
128gb i fink SSD
16gb ram
and corsair 650d case, what good moduar psu should i buy that wont explode? Model name please?
Do you want it to be able to run 2x 670's?
How much $ do you want to spend?

spirit

Staff member
Do you want it to be able to run 2x 670's?
How much $ do you want to spend?
Think he's British so it'd be £ and I think he only wants the one 670. The OCZ I recommended would be OK but a modular Corsair or Seasonic or XFX would be better.

rishmace

Sorry for late reply it was my birthday yesterday n went out with friends. Preferably less than £100 for it and i now like semi modulars PSU's as much as Modular ones. I have like the xfx 750w xxx edition 80+SILVER http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-001-XF if i can should i buy the 850w or is that overkill because for now the 850W's are £3 more. They are semi modular and i think they are good but i dont know. Another one i have heard of is the corsair AX650 80+GOLD http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-051-CS for £20 more and fully modular. I like this but i think it costs to much. I think i will buy an OCZ SSD either 60gb or 120gb no more. I will only use this for the OS and game saves.
Yeah and as vistakid said only single 670.

Last edited: