Help settle a small disagreement please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Okedokey

A question to solve an argument.

Is this PSU

Casecom 350W ATX (12A on 12V rail) sufficient for these components:

CASECOM MID GAMING CASE
GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 MOTHERBOARD
AMD ATHLON II X3 450 CPU 3.2GHZ
KINGSTON HYPER DDR3 4GB,NVIDIA GEFORCE 9600GT
OCZ VERTEX SSD 64GB,SAMSUNG SPINPOINT HDD 1TB
SONY DL DVD-RW 24X,CASECOM 350W PSU
WINDOWS 7 64 BIT

?

Apparently according to some, it is. http://www.computerforum.com/198100-windows-help-please.html#post1651381

You know my thoughts though.... :eek:

Last edited:

FuryRosewood

if seasonic made that psu, probably but a 12 dollar psu powering 300+ dollars worth of equiptment? &$*# no. a 400W or 350W antec would probably cover it fine tho. ive ran a 125W cpu, 4 gig ram and a pair of 9800GTX+ cards off a 550W rosewill, however it cost more than 40 bucks...i think i paid 70 for it at the time.

claptonman

It has enough power to run it, yes, but I would advice, like fury, to stay far away from it. You don't want to go cheap on a power supply.

PohTayToez

12A is pretty underpowered. I'm sure the system runs and it may continue to for a while but that PSU is gonna pop eventually.

claptonman

Yeah, I don't know anything about power supplies other than watts, so disregard my post. I saw the argument in the original thread and you know a lot more about this than a lot of people.

Last edited:

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Casecom? No. A quality brand Seasonic 350 watt powersupply? Absolutely. People tend to over-estimate the amount of power a computer needs.

jamesd1981

every psu will burnout eventually no matter if it`s cheap or expensive sooner or later, BANG !

dont know why your still goin on about it bigfella, anyone thats read the original thread
http://www.computerforum.com/198100-windows-help-please-2.html#post1651381

can see you were so sure how crap this psu was you came up with a test you thought would blow it, needless to say it didn`t, so my point was proved, yes it will eventually pop but so will they all

jamesd1981

you came up with test bigfella, so either your test was poor in the first place so what was the point in suggesting it, or you just didn`t like the result, you laid out requirement after requirement, i ran all the software, i posted all the proof and results, so the psu had a thorough stress test as did everything else and the machines still running perfect, you can`t argue with that.

this was never about is the psu not as powerful as it could have been, it`s about does the machine run normally and it is

jamesd1981

There only three questions to ask

1. was the test you came up with a competent stress test ? ?
2. did my machine fail ? no
3. did the 3d mark show any problems ? no

Okedokey

Excuse me? I thought we had agreed to disagree, you come back and start this again?

I asked you to run Prime95 and 3Dmark06 concurrently for an hour. You didn't do this and even if it didn't fail doesnt mean much. 12A is not enough mate, and advocating that it is is likely to attract heat around here from mods, especially when the CF PSU guide doesn't recommend anything below 18A for a discrete gpu system.

Keep your guess work to yourself and your (ahem) customers...

PohTayToez

Sure, every power supply is going to burn out eventually but it's the cheapos that like to take other components with them.

jamesd1981

we had agreed to disagree and you started i whole new thread on the subject, you might know what your talking about bigfella but your still full of it !

i ran the test concurrently with prime, 3dmark, smartdefrag and was still browsing the net, i couldn`t have put much more stress on the machine and it didn`t FAIL deal with it

jamesd1981

Sure, every power supply is going to burn out eventually but it's the cheapos that like to take other components with them.

yes they might poh, but am i right in thinking that alot of the secondary damage would depend on how much pressure is on the psu at the time of the pop i.e. during heavy gaming etc, i have never had a psu blow so im not sure, but i would imagine the more stress the bigger the pop ?

Okedokey

:rolleyes:
yes they might poh, but am i right in thinking that alot of the secondary damage would depend on how much pressure is on the psu at the time of the pop i.e. during heavy gaming etc, i have never had a psu blow so im not sure, but i would imagine the more stress the bigger the pop ?

No, do you have any electrical or electronics training at all?

we had agreed to disagree and you started i whole new thread on the subject, you might know what your talking about bigfella but your still full of it !

I started this thread 7 hours ago while you were still insisting that your gpu didnt take power from the psu because it didn't have a pcie power connector. If you had've acutally read the posts you would know that because i told you then and gave you a link. I might be full of it (understanding), but you just work with guesses and words like heavy and other such nonsense. Im talking about current (amps) and your recommendation to ignore physics.

Ok answer this directly (as this is the root argument). Do you think a cheap, generic power supply unit with 12A on the 12V rail is sufficient for a system with a pcie graphics card?

Last edited:

jamesd1981

no you twist the convo to suit bigfella, i said its not directly connected to the psu which its not as you said its going through the mobo not a direct cable.

i can only assume your test design was poor then ?

Okedokey

no you twist the convo to suit bigfella, i said its not directly connected to the psu which its not as you said its going through the mobo not a direct cable.

i can only assume your test design was poor then ?

... secondly i do not have the graphics card connected to the psu there is no need for me to do that, i already said im not a gamer.

Hello? http://www.computerforum.com/198100-windows-help-please.html#post1651395 post 19

It makes no difference, the card draws from the 12V rail regardless. You were suggesting somehow there was no additional load because i didn't have a pcie power cable.

Mate as i have said 100 times now, its basic physics:

GPU - 59W (5A)
CPU - 95W (8A)
HDD - ~14W (1.2A)
Fans, mobo etc etc +more

So even the above max example = around 15A on the 12V rail - yours has 12A and at that point it fails or shuts down.

Not very wise imho, regardless of how much you convince yourself it will be fine. Cheap PSUs such as the awful Casecom 350WATX are designed for 5V predominate systems, thats without a PCIe card.

Last edited:

jamesd1981

no i didn`t say it used any less power, i said i was directly connected via cable.

The simple fact is if i had run those stress test and the psu had blown, you would have quite rightly said, I TOLD YOU SO, but on the same hand it didn`t blow or crash etc so you are not big enough to say it maybe be under powered if pushed to the limit alot, but for my light use it is obviously fine

and just to add going on the 3d mark results it didn`t even struggle, because i ran the same test on my son`s system with another casecom psu, it has win 7 64, intel duo core, 4gb ddr2, and a cheapo gpu and it struggled so theres the difference

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.