Help settle a small disagreement please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Okedokey

no i didn`t say it used any less power, i said i was directly connected via cable.

Yes you did. As shown below, you only included the CPU power (this is after i explained the amp distribution for the components), not the GPU, because clearly you thought no additional load would be added because there was no pcie power cable.

well number one i don`t know what psu you think i have got but it is actually a 12A, secondly i do not have the graphics card connected to the psu there is no need for me to do that, i already said im not a gamer.

so 12a psu with an 8a cpu leaves 4a does it not

No, fail, 12A - 8A - 5A - 1.2A etc = not enough. Remove the PCIe card and you're at about 95% of rated power during use.

Last edited:

Okedokey

Lol, thats all you've got? Because I asked you to test your computer with 3Dmark06 and prime95 - AND it didn't fail, you're vindicated? Lol, you seriously have a lot to learn. Just goes to show, anyone can build and sell computers.

jamesd1981

Yes you did. As shown below, you only included the CPU power (this is after i explained the amp distribution for the components), not the GPU, because clearly you thought no additional load would be added because there was no pcie power cable.

No, fail, 12A - 8A - 5A - 1.2A etc = not enough. Remove the PCIe card and you're at about 95% of rated power during use.

so going by your numbers as soon as i turn my pc on im running the psu over 100%, so that stress test should have blown it sky high, especially with it being such a pos

jamesd1981

Lol, thats all you've got? Because I asked you to test your computer with 3Dmark06 and prime95 - AND it didn't fail, you're vindicated? Lol, you seriously have a lot to learn. Just goes to show, anyone can build and sell computers.

now your dismissing your own test, you asked because you were pretty sure it would blow and simply it didn`t

jamesd1981

You really don't get this do you?

i get it fine bigfella, you are going on and on about numbers this n that, iam not saying the psu is the greatest psu in the world, i am saying it is decent no more than that

My machine isn`t a crap spec and does that psu run it fully, yes it does i have the screen resolution at highest setting, i do alot of dvd ripping, file conversion, photo editing etc, does my computer ever struggle to run any software or perform any task, the simple awnser is no so whats the big deal

Okedokey

WOW< what a great outcome. Your computer has 'worked' for (in your words 'weeks'). You are literally playing russian roulette. The problem i have is in this and several other posts you're recommending that others do the same. That and (god help us) the fact that you build computers seemingly for a living.

Yet here, you're recommending an 850W for a core i5/i3 system with 4gb ram.

Second post in the above link:

well for a start why dont you look at either quad core or intel i5 cpu and a ddr3 graphics card with 512 or even 1gb onboard and id say 850 w psu and plenty of brand name ram like crucial etc ?

You're a builder and you think modern GPUs come with GDDR3? Also, quad core OR i5? What? All (bar 1 - 2390T) of the 2nd gen i5's are quads. You build computers for people? This just goes to your knowledge and understanding, and ultimately your credibility.

Yet here you're saying an 8 pound ($15) PSU is fine

You have no credibility whatsoever.

Last edited:

jamesd1981

WOW< what a great outcome. Your computer has 'worked' for (in your words 'weeks'). You are literally playing russian roulette. The problem i have is in this and several other posts you're recommending that others do the same. That and (god help us) the fact that you build computers seemingly for a living.

Yet here, you're recommending an 850W for a core i5/i3 system with 4gb ram.

Yet here you're saying an 8 pound ($15) PSU is fine

You have no credibility whatsoever.

there you go again bigfella my current machine is only weeks old, but if you go back and read the original thread, i have built around 50 desktops using the same psu and NEVER had a failure, they range in age up to almost two years old, so can you please explain why if mine is going to pop very soon why has there not been one single failure on any of the other machines.

As for the above links the top one i said a quad core cpu hence the better psu, the bottom one there is no spec so how do you know its not to power some old pentium 4 cpu with onboard graphics, well lets guess the psu runs a pc my spec but its still under powered for an old pent 4 system. no doubt

Last edited:

Okedokey

Im finished with this, you can argue your case with someone else, its really getting boring.

jamesd1981

you can spout out all the numbers you want, 50 systems without a single failure is rock hard proof not one or two, but 50 !

Okedokey

You may have built 50 PCs with rubbish PSU's but that is hardly indicative that you have a clue.

For example (add it to the list):

As for the above links the top one i said a quad core cpu hence the better psu, the bottom one there is no spec so how do you know its not to power some old pentium 4 cpu...

So let me get this straight, because it has a quad core, it needs an 850W PSU, but with an old Pentium 4 a 8 pound cheapo PSU is fine? And don't give me this graphics card rubbish, it was post 2, nothing mentioned about graphics when you said an 850W quad core or quad core system.

So ok, a quad core i5 has a TDP of (max) 95W.
A pentium 4 (max) has a TDP of 115W.

Again you fail. A pentium 4 would require a better PSU> SHeesh you need to learn your trade.

jamesd1981

you are right it is getting boring bigfella, i stressed my pos shit psu and it didnt fail and you can say its because the psu is new, but i did the exact same test with the same psu but it is one and a half years old so it`s not new its had quite a decent shelf life and still made it through the stress test fine after a year of use attached is the spec of this pc which is not some ancient low power system, so explain how firstly its lasted a year and half and can still under go the stress test and secondly is 50 system not a pretty reliable number for a field test of these power supplys ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Okedokey

Ok so in summary, its ok to recommend an 8 quid rubbish psu because...

"ive done it 50 times, it didnt break, so its fine, so ill keep doing it" regardless of the facts.

Ok, point taken. I don't agree and I doubt anyone else here with a clue would either.

jamesd1981

i am not recommending an 8 quid psu to everyone as you pointed out further up ^^

but the fact i have used the psu 50 times over a 2 year period speaks for itself, how many people have bought a branded psu and it has blown within two years ? PLENTY !

Okedokey

i am not recommending an 8 quid psu to everyone as you pointed out further up ^^

Again, fail, do you just write whatever comes to your mind? Or do you genuinely forget?

if you are getting no power at all it is most likely a blown psu
try www.ebuyer.com they have power supplys from £8.00

Oh and since i have spent my whole night educating you on PSUs - why stop there? In English, when you have a multiple of something ending with 'y' its ies. So its supplies, not supplys, unless of course its possessive, which requires the apostrophe, but not relevant in this case (e.g. the Casecom power supply's rubbish build quality).

Last edited:

jamesd1981

Again, fail, do you just write whatever comes to your mind? Or do you geniunely forget?

btw, in english, when you have a multiple of something ending with 'y' its ies. So its supplies, not supplys.

your clutching at straws bigfella, now were onto grammar, is supplys not shorter than supplies for the same word, yet again whats the difference who cares about such a petty thing.

wasted enough time on this i will rest easy knowing my 50 pos power supplys are all still operating well and that my own will most likely outlast yours

Next time you challenge someone to run a test to prove your point either ask them to run it for a week or except the result

Status
Not open for further replies.