Help with new gaming pc

roany

Hello,

I've been looking to get a new computer for quite some time now, but I can't really figure it all out by myself ( there so many options!!!), so I was hoping to get some advice. I would like to run new games on max settings for the foreseeable future,I will be using a 1440p monitor and I'll be OCing. this is what I came up with but not sure if it's the best I can get for the money ( about 2,200).

Be Quiet! Silent Base 600
Intel Core i7 6800K / 3,40 GHz
MSI X99A SLI PLUS
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 2666MHz DDR4
650W Corsair RM650x
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB (SSD)
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 (8GB GDDR5X)
Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2
Corsair SP 120 Quiet Edition

Regards,
Roan

Last edited:

Laquer Head

Hello,

I've been looking to get a new computer for quite some time now, but I can't really figure it all out by myself ( there so many options!!!), so I was hoping to get some advice. I would like to run new games on max settings for the foreseeable future,I will be using a 1444p monitor and I'll be OCing. this is what I came up with but not sure if it's the best I can get for the money ( about 2,200).

Be Quiet! Silent Base 600
Intel Core i7 6800K / 3,40 GHz
MSI X99A SLI PLUS
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 2666MHz DDR4
650W Corsair RM650x
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB (SSD)
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 (8GB GDDR5X)
Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2
Corsair SP 120 Quiet Edition

Regards,
Roan

Is this US currency?

AMD_man

If you really need to spend it all, then that´s a good build. Otherwise you could make a few changes without loosing a lot of gaming performance.

roany

If you really need to spend it all, then that´s a good build. Otherwise you could make a few changes without loosing a lot of gaming performance.
Which changes would you recommend and how much money would that save?

AMD_man

With an i5 wouldn't I have to upgrade a lot sooner than with an i7?
Perhaps, but right now getting the I7 makes no difference (if you only plan on gaming). Hyper threading is not necessary for games.

The I7 is faster and the price difference is pretty insignificant at this budget level, so if you feel like you want the 6700K just to be sure, you don't need to change anything else. This build is perfectly compatible wit both the 6600k and the 6700k (not the 6800k).

roany

Perhaps, but right now getting the I7 makes no difference (if you only plan on gaming). Hyper threading is not necessary for games.

The I7 is faster and the price difference is pretty insignificant at this budget level, so if you feel like you want the 6700K just to be sure, you don't need to change anything else. This build is perfectly compatible wit both the 6600k and the 6700k (not the 6800k).

Well, I won't just be gaming, I will be doing some very CPU demanding things (forgot to mention this).

Last edited:

AMD_man

Well I will be doing some very CPU demanding things
Well that simplifies your choice. Also I didn't read you saying you had a 1440p monitor. You could just remove one GTX-1080 and you wouldn't suffer for it.

If I may ask, what do you mean by CPU demanding tasks? Video editing?

roany

Well that simplifies your choice. Also I didn't read you saying you had a 1440p monitor. You could just remove one GTX-1080 and you wouldn't suffer for it.

If I may ask, what do you mean by CPU demanding tasks? Video editing?
Gold farming, right now I am running one client and It's using 50% on my current i3

AMD_man

virtual gold in games to be sold for real life money
Strange, but still irrelevant, if you say it's demanding, I'll take your word for it. Bear in mind, there is a pretty big leap from a dual-core I3 to a quad-core I5, even more when it's an overclock able unit. Still, the 6700K makes a lot of sense.

My advice would be, get one GTX now, and one in the future if you need it.

roany

Strange, but still irrelevant, if you say it's demanding, I'll take your word for it. Bear in mind, there is a pretty big leap from a dual-core I3 to a quad-core I5, even more when it's an overclock able unit. Still, the 6700K makes a lot of sense.

My advice would be, get one GTX now, and one in the future if you need it.

And what about cores and threads, from what I understand the more cores and threads the better it should be multitasking? and seeing as I would be running as many clients as the computer could handle, wouldn't I need more? the 6700 that has 4 and 8 and the 6800 8 and 12? Btw, I'm sorry for all the questions, but it's a lot of money ( for me) and I don't want to waste it.

AMD_man

And what about cores and threads, from what I understand the more cores and threads the better it should be multitasking? and seeing as I would be running as many clients as the computer could handle, wouldn't I need more? the 6700 that has 4 and 8 and the 6800 8 and 12? Btw, I'm sorry for all the questions, but it's a lot of money ( for me) and I don't want to waste it.
If it is a lot of money, you could wait for Zen to come out. 8 cores, 16 threads.

(It's the new AMD AM4 socket line of CPUs by the way).

You need to help me understand here. Are the games graphically demanding? If not, the 1080 is probably an excessive choice. They way I see it, you'll be playing a lot of online games (if not exclusively), and those games, in general, are not very demanding in that way. Or are you planning on playing normal games too?

There is also the option of getting an FX CPU. 8 cores, 8 threads for $150. A little worse single core processing but for your needs it wouldn't be so bad. Although you should forget about future proof if you go down this road.

Help me understand your goals better or we are gonna keep running in circles here.

roany

If it is a lot of money, you could wait for Zen to come out. 8 cores, 16 threads.

(It's the new AMD AM4 socket line of CPUs by the way).

You need to help me understand here. Are the games graphically demanding? If not, the 1080 is probably an excessive choice. They way I see it, you'll be playing a lot of online games (if not exclusively), and those games, in general, are not very demanding in that way. Or are you planning on playing normal games too?

There is also the option of getting an FX CPU. 8 cores, 8 threads for $150. A little worse single core processing but for your needs it wouldn't be so bad. Although you should forget about future proof if you go down this road.

Help me understand your goals better or we are gonna keep running in circles here.

Well, I suppose the new games I will be playing are graphically demanding ( arma 3/ GTA V/ AC) but not the one I farm gold on that's only CPU demanding (because there will be a lot of them running at the same time). so the goal is for it to handle a lot of CPU usage / run the newest games at max settings.

Last edited:

AMD_man

Well, I suppose the new games I will be playing are graphically demanding ( arma 3/ GTA V/ AC) but not the one I farm gold on that's only CPU demanding (because there will be a lot of them running at the same time).
Well Zen sounds perfect for you. If you don't want to wait, the 6700K sounds like a good balance. It has higher frequency than the 6800K and more threads than the 6600K.

I know that beers recommended the 6800K but I'm gonna have to go for the 6700K. It's more frequency for normal games and still great multitasking capabilities for your gold farming.