Help with new gaming pc

AMD_man

Not sure how that was out of context, you suggested a lower wattage PSU, I suggested keeping the same or a larger one since it's cheaper to just buy one unit depending on upgrade goals.

I'd appreciate you not posting sensationalist garbage, but since you'll do that anyway it's useless to complain about it.

Didn´t suggest a lowe wattage PSU, I stated it would be enough. Also said if his plans were to expand, the 650w was not a bad idea. Exactly what you said afterwards, and yet you contradicted me. I´m not the one trying to cause trouble here.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Didn´t suggest a lowe wattage PSU, I stated it would be enough. Also said if his plans were to expand, the 650w was not a bad idea. Exactly what you said afterwards, and yet you contradicted me. I´m not the one trying to cause trouble here.
You kinda did...

650w is a bit too much. I put a 550w there. Even less would be enough. Although if you plan on adding another GPU it could be appropriate.

Also, 650W is not too much. It's actually a better buy for the system he's looking at buying (i7 6800k, X99, GTX 1080). His total power draw is around the 460W region. The EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550 isn't as efficient in that power region than the 650W. Meaning the 550 will draw more power from the wall to make the ~460W that is used by the system versus the 650W brother.

r_600x450.JPG

efficiency.jpg

spirit

Staff member
550W would probably be fine for something like an 1151 i5 or i7 and GTX 1060 or 1070 setup, but for an X99 setup with a 1080 I'd also suggest going for at least 650W. Allows for headroom and more overclocking potential, too.

AMD_man

His total power draw is around the 460W region.

Wait why 460W?

GTX= 200W (Maximun based on torture tests in 4K resolution - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-pascal,4572-10.html)
6800K= 100W (Turbo Base clock speed, torture test, it´s even less when gaming - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i7-broadwell-e-6950x-6900k-6850k-6800k,4587-7.html)
Motherboard~60W (Just a high-end motherboard average)
Total=360W

Based on your graphs the EVGA would have around 473W, assuming he lives in USA or Europe.

I´d say he would be fine. Maybe I got something wrong.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Because I took YOUR build, and swapped for the 6800k, asrock x99 as the op wants. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mVWVGf

PCPartpicker gives very good peak power consumption values of the total build. It may be on the conservative side, but that's not a bad thing as efficiency only increase towards the right side of the curve.

If you consider his power consumption to be in the 350-450W region, then the 650W is still the better buy as that lies in the peak area of the curve. The 350-450W region of the 550W PSU is past it's peak.
assuming he lives in USA or Europe.
Dude gave a budget in Euros...

Intel_man

VIP Member
Edit: Where did you get that RAM?
Just picked the cheapest 32gb of DDR4-3000 ram on the pcpartpickers list. I didn't put much effort into choosing it. I probably wouldn't pick that set in a X99 environment, but it's just for a power consumption value.

AMD_man

Just picked the cheapest 32gb of DDR4-3000 ram on the pcpartpickers list. I didn't put much effort into choosing it. I probably wouldn't pick that set in a X99 environment, but it's just for a power consumption value.

Oh I though you were using my part list. I used 16Gb 2133Mhz sticks. Do you recommend the OP to use 32?

Pretty sure that wasn't an example of sarcasm.

Please just stop, it´s not funny. Don´t know what your problem is, but I don´t want to be involved, or if that´s just how you do things around here, in that case, I don´t want to be involved either.

Laquer Head

Oh I though you were using my part list. I used 16Gb 2133Mhz sticks. Do you recommend the OP to use 32?

Please just stop, it´s not funny. Don´t know what your problem is, but I don´t want to be involved, or if that´s just how you do things around here, in that case, I don´t want to be involved either.

It's pretty funny man.. there is an unwritten rule that you need at least 100 posts before @beers can offend you.

Intel_man

VIP Member
If he wants to invest in it right now... sure. I don't see why not.

23f2df30e743d5b6e5de0daf50029f5837564ca09719ed70dfcb7c8a58ea6a03.jpg